Modification of Components Who is WW of the year?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

This is some of a German friend's work. Some of the best modification work I have ever seen. The RD, a DA RD 7700 weighs in at 143g :shock: ; the FD, a DA FD 7700 weighs in at 54g :shock: . I don't have pictures of them on scales, but I'll ask him for them. I know there are more of these modified parts out there, so let's see them. This is a call for all modified components. I mean, this is the truest expression of Weight Weenie(ism), so start posting. Even unrealised ideas are welcomed.
Attachments
DAFDmodified.jpg
DARDmodified.jpg
BILL NIKO, YOU WILL NOT EVER BE FORGOTTEN.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

why didn't your friend shave those Cannondale rings?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

storcky

by storcky

very nice shavings!!! but does the rear derail. work like before???

Paco Bonnin

by Paco Bonnin

Where's Ti?
BURN YOUR LEGS, NOT OIL!

Superlite

by Superlite

That is some beautiful machining, and I can see that it took a lot of hard work, but come on. Look at the FD, that clamp is gonna snap after a few hard shifts. I don't even wanna think about the rear.

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

The derailleurs have performed flawlessly 12,000 kms strong, so their durability is looking good. I'll post some more details of their reworkings soon. The guy is no bedroom designer, he's an accomplished engineer with a good understanding for materials and forces.

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

He’s done a lot of calculating of the material properties and structural integrity of aluminum Shimano components; he argues that because Shimano produces their parts in a serialized manner using too much aluminum, as is necessary for the homogenous temperature during the forging process, the stiffness is much too high for these kinds of parts. And so, some material can be done away with without threatening the structural integrity of the component. Just look at the designs of other manufacturers like SRAM or Campy with their rear derailleur.

big fellow

by big fellow

Superlite wrote:That is some beautiful machining, and I can see that it took a lot of hard work, but come on. Look at the FD, that clamp is gonna snap after a few hard shifts. I don't even wanna think about the rear.

SL you are a crack up sometimes, make me laugh hard

How do you know how well educated and what experience this guy has before you have a go at it already? How do you know what material it is?

As HOWMUCH says, he's an accomplished engineer with a very good understangding of forces etc. Sounds to me like he knows very well what he's doing.

Bit of respect for other posters before you get stuck into 'em

cheers

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

Mr Superlite is jealous that someone other has more of a SuperLite part then the man himself, Mr Superlite. :wink:

danielgillett

by danielgillett

I agree with the previous posts. Too often does Superlite and his associated postings come under scrutiny from others in regards to his uncalculative responses...

Luc

by Luc

Drop of a hat, anyway...

:thumbup:
Pollice verso.

Cannondale

by Cannondale

Greath looking RD and FD.

What about some more pics of the bike?

:goodpost:
Sine Pondus - Without weight
www.velosport.dk

toko

by toko

Very nice job.And congrats for the post reply(Big,Zakeen,Danielgillett) ,i agree with you...
:D

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated. I'm hoping to see more of this kind of work here, it just intrigues me to see people push the boundaries of manufacturers designs... and who says products can't be improved on, designs are always progressing, so why not make the effort failure or not...

@ Big fellow... well said!

@Canondale... I'll try to get some pics of his bike, it's a Cannondale by the way :wink:

I'll be posting his STI shifters soon, not a lot of modification but interesting to look at... Thanks again guys!
Last edited by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH? on Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

Here is a picture of the STI Levers... not sure of how much weight was saved but I do appreciate the refined machining that it involved...
Attachments
DASTImodified.jpg
Last edited by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH? on Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com