HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: ZG SS install Problems
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:24 pm 

Hi,
A friend onf mine just picked up a set of ZG SS brakeset, he has a 2004 Merlin Maglia frameset with Reynolds Ouzo pro forks. His problem is that the backnut for the rear brakes does not fit into the mounting hole on the frame. It seems to be that the back nuts diameter is a little too big.
Has anyone else had this problem for installing the zg brakes? Someone also told me that the center bolts and back nuts are suppose to be of a standard sizing.. is this true?

Last edited by apmech on Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Hmmm...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:02 pm 

...that is a little strange. Will the backnut from the "old" rear brake caliper work? I have a Seven and the backnut worked fine, though I did have some pad clearance issues.

Post subject: Hmmm...
Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:02 pm 

Post subject: Re: Hmmm...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:12 pm 

PsyDoc wrote:
...that is a little strange. Will the backnut from the "old" rear brake caliper work? I have a Seven and the backnut worked fine, though I did have some pad clearance issues.

Just to add onto this... This merlin is a fresh build so all parts are 1st time installed..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:51 pm 

Pitty to hear the SS is still delivered with a backnut that is too big (last time I got mail from 0g they told me they solved the problem, could be an early series).
Had the same problem (that and the fact that there's not enough thread on it to make it fit on my Cr1)
The outside diameter is easy to adjust (clamp it into a drill and sand it while turning untill it has the right size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:19 am 

I think the problem lies mostly in the fact that Reynolds specs a "nut" that has a slighter smaller OD than average, hence making it dificult to fit other brands in there. I would just use the std one that Reynolds provides with their forks or maybe try a couple different brands of them and see if one has better fit. If I remember correctly, the SRP's have a slightlty smaller diameter, but might be hard to find right away.

Good luck and :beerchug: for helping your buddie out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:07 pm 

ok, found the solution to the problem....

Seem like ZG ships a larger diameter backnut with their ZG SS brakeset. To confirm this, we tried a DA backnut in place of the one that ships with the ZG. It fits into the rear brake boss and also works with the ZG brakes, The only bad thing about this is that the backnut is not made of aluminum, such as the one that ships with the ZG's. It a minor thing, but One of the reasons for buying the ZG's was for weight reduction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:43 am 

You would think that 0G could Quality check their product before shipping!
Then again, for a $260 brake caliper you would think they could send the
customer a back nut that would fit properly. That's my 5 cents worth of
comment, the same cost of a back nut that does fit from Shimano.

Quoted by The Human Torch, Flame On!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:56 am 

Quote:
You would think that 0G could Quality check their product before shipping!
Then again, for a $260 brake caliper you would think they could send the
customer a back nut that would fit properly. That's my 5 cents worth of
comment, the same cost of a back nut that does fit from Shimano.

Your new to the fourm so I won't burn you. :wink: But you really have no clue about what you just said.

Zero G has what is arguably the best brakes out there, and they have excelent quality control. Not to mention the best customer service on the planet! If you ever have a problem they always take care of you asap. Ask anyone who has had little problems like described, they were all taken care of.

BTW, did it occur to you the frame could be out of tolerence, not the bolt? Most likely it's just tool much epoxy in the back nut hole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:39 am 

No offense, but ZG should in my opinion just stick to a standard length build. You don't see many if any Shimano or Campagnolo people coming here complaining about the pads not clearing the fork or frame do you? The only reason I can think of is that it might not look as pretty on the scale when the whole unit that actually works is over 200 grams, including normal brake pads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:02 am 

Actually I do know what I just said, and you can flame on Im wearing my
protective suit. Newbie or not. Bottom line, if the 0G back nut can not fit
a standard built frameset. Own up to it and say " it's my product and that's
how I liked it to be spec'd and pre-warn buyers " Dont give the customer the
run around and blame it on the brand new Merlin frameset. At least offer the
customer a chance for a RMA. But here's were Im really tick off, Tim
suggested that he should consider drilling the opening alittle so the nut would
fit. Altering a new $3k Ti frame, come on how lame is that! Oh by the way,
Im the guy who lend the guy my DA caliper to resolved this issue. If you like
I can forward you a copy of Tim's email to the actual customer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:45 am 

[quote]
ZG should in my opinion just stick to a standard length build. You don't see many if any Shimano or
Campagnolo people coming here complaining about the pads not clearing the fork or frame do you? The only reason
I can think of is that it might not look as pretty on the scale when the whole unit that actually works is over 200
grams, including normal brake pads

I agree with you, but for this case.. a new aluminum or titanium nut/bolt should be in the mail to correct this problem. $265 usd on a brakeset is a good chunk of change to spend and you'd expect that all hardware would be included to properly install it to your frameset right?

Last edited by apmech on Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:49 am 

Quote:
Tim
suggested that he should consider drilling the opening alittle so the nut would
fit.

Ever tried drilling Ti?? :shock:

Post subject: Enough
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:24 am 

Ok. I'm going to set the record straight. My name is William and I own Wise Cycle Buys. On 1/30/05 a customer of ours ordered a set of Zero Gravity 0G-05 SS calipers. On 2/13/05 I received the following email:

I just bought a set of 0G-05 SS from WiseCycleBuys and
I have a problem. I was installing the rear break on
to a new 2004 Merlin Magia but the nut that goes into
the frame is too wide (diamater). I went to my LBS and
they didn't have anthing that would fit either. Do you
know where I can get a nut that will fit my frame???

I also spoke to the customer on the phone a number of times. He informed me that the frame had never been built up before. The fact that a bike shop could not find a bolt that would fit his frame, the fact that the frame had never had brakes mounted on it before and knowing that we have sold hundreds of these brakes without ever having this issue before lead me to the assumption that the bolt hole may have not been cleaned out thoroughly by Merlin. I don't think I would be alone in coming to that conclusion. The fact that a bike shop could not find a bolt to fit this particular frame seamed pretty suspicious to me. I suggested that maybe Merlin had not drilled out the frame properly. I never said that the customer should pick up a drill and start modifying his frame. It wasn't Zero Gravity that initially mentioned anything about drills or drilling the frame, it was me. I later relayed all of these details to one of the guys at Zero Gravity and based on my description of what was taking place, he agreed that an improperly finished frame could keep the bolt from fitting.

The fact that Zero Gravity is getting a bad rap from suggestions that I made makes me ill. The suggestion that Zero Gravity is lax on their quality control or their commitment to customer service is a joke. We sell more of their calipers than anyone in the world and we deal with them on a daily basis. I can tell you from my experience that they have the best customer service of any in this industry. I have strong feelings about a company that would do anything for its customers getting slammed for something that they weren't really involved with. Yes the customer got a nut that didn't fit, and yes that is unfortunate. If the customer had asked I would have sent him 50 nuts, I don't care what they are made out of. My responsibility is to take care of our customers even if it's not convenient. If he wants, I'll give him his brakes for free. It wouldn't matter to me one bit. Zero Gravity would do the same. They don't care how much it cost to take care of a customer and neither do we. They're here to make brakes, we're here to sell brakes and we're both here to take care of any issues a customer may have along the way. We're interested in doing what's right and I think replying to this post and setting the record straight was the right thing to do. Blaming me for my suggestions to the customer rather than Zero Gravity is the right thing for you to do. Anyone that says that Zero Gravity is to blame for what took place is either uninformed or irresponsible. If there is anyone that should take blame for the suggestions made to the customer, it should be me and my company. I don't know how to say it any clearer than that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:40 am 

I am the friend with the install problem and here is the story from the horses mouth.

First I want to say my friends and I are very intense about cycling, as are most cyclists. We have been cycling for over 15 years together and can tell you the pros and cons of almost every bike component on the planet, as can most cyclists.

Second, the Merlin Magia has the highest tolarances and quality in the industry period!!! The King Headset, FSA EXO BB and Thompson Masterpiece all when in smooth as silk with no play at all. A true piece of art.

Third, Zero Gravity are the coolest looking and most impressively light component (almost) on the bike. The back nut is slightly out of tolarance, this is true. This is most likely not a problem for most frames but as I mentioned, Merlin has VERY tight tolerences so the nut does not fit. Also I don't have many spare parts lying around so this is an issue for me, I'm guessing 99.9% of ZG's customers do not have this issue since I'm the only one complaining about it. Anyway, the guys at ZG now understand my problem and are going to send me a custom fabricated back nut, how cool is that!!!

Fourth, I bought the breaks from William at WiseCycleBuys.com and he has been extremely helpful calling the guys at ZG and calling me several times to make sure this issue has been resolved. Now that's great customer service!!! He also has the best deal on the ZGs $265, no tax, free shipping and he will price match if you find it cheaper somewhere else. I HIGHLY recommend buying the ZGs from him as well as the other cool stuff he sells. I just bought a set of Campy Eurus, Fizik Arieon and another set of ZG SS from him and he is throwing in two free Carb-One mini pumps, Try and find a sweeter deal than that!!!

I will post again to give and update on my custom fabricated back nut as soon as I get it and post a pix of the bike in about a week. This forum is awsome!!! I am a newbie to this forum also but I don't think that has anything to do with my knowlege of cycling.

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:40 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:47 am 

[quote][/quote]

Go to page 1, 2  Next