Maestro - Colnago

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

cjhart wrote:If you look at the actual bike that Saronni won the worlds on, you will see, even in Colnagos catalogue when it was first offered, that the colours on the original are darker, and were a dark burgandy, the new one taken for the brochure is lighter, and Colnago always has stated that colours will vary, from batch to batch.

Are we changing the thread back to attacks on the paint, lets get back to the price fixing!

Happy New Year from Maestro UK :)
How about removing the trade prices in the pdf?

ipaul

by ipaul

Let me point out one more thing in regards to what was just posted in the paint schemes.
I believe there is more than just the color of the red being different or shading.
Not only is the font of the printing off, and the world stripes are on different ends of the panel, but there appears to be much of the simple details (fork, top tube etc.) lacking in the maestro Pr82 extreme frame. The pr82's I've seen in stores and on the internet have the details similar to what was shown in the cbike site.

Very interesting thread that's for sure. :shock:
:P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Monopolisf

by Monopolisf

That's a very interesting observation regarding the Saroni paint job. Based on what I have read here, and other forums, the only substantiated difference between Maestro's bikes and Veltec's is that Maestro's bikes are painted in Belgium as opposed to italy. That seems to be a FACT.

With this in mind, the only legit question here is...Are the Belgium paint jobs on PAR with italy. Thoughts??????????????????

corky

by corky

I think you'll get a multitude of answers ... I've read a) they're better than Italy, b) they're worse and c) they're the same.

my only thought is thay can't be that bad when Rabobank and Landbou have/had their's painted by the Benenlux guys...and however the design may not be 100% the same.

But you can get custom via Maestro...

The only answer is to have the same model design from both sources photographed under the same lighting conditions.... even then it may come down to different painters within each paint shop that make the difference?

Praha19300

by Praha19300

pretty funny really that most customers but a 'Colnago' type would like the fact that their bike had an individual paintjob or look.

Arky

by Arky

bigmonter wrote:
So bottom line, like you said, one must choose a bandwagon to hop on and in this case it's with the Jerk not because I am associated with him but because he is right.

Steven

Are you associated with a distributor, manufacturer, or LBS? The only reason I ask is that it appears that you joined weightweenies for this sole issue. If none of the above, are you simply a lawyer exercising the logic muscle?

BelajaSmert

by BelajaSmert

Praha19300 wrote:pretty funny really that most customers but a 'Colnago' type would like the fact that their bike had an individual paintjob or look.

I'd say the european Colnago type like the fact they've got individual paintjobs and not something made by a robot. In the States, I don't know, but if I'm reading correct they hate that sort of thing and want to have the absolute same as everyone else.

I got my Colnago through Maestro (so I'm biased) and was very happy with the service and the bike with custom paint. Now I know I would have been even happier paying lots more if only to give someone else a profit too. :roll:

Btw. I only have grey market Chris Kings because I bought them from the US of A and not the local distributor. Man, this sucks. :lol:

wheelsucker

by wheelsucker

Specific to the Extreme Power PR82 photo on the Maestro site, it does look a bit odd. All other Extreme Powers i've seen have 'Extreme power' lettering on the top tube and there are no logos at the top of the fork to say which fork it is e.g. 'Star 75' etc. Can only assume this was a custom request. If i had actually ordered an EP in PR82 scheme, expecting something similar to the one in the catalogue then i would probably not be too happy. The rest of the frames shown on the site look fine to me.

Also to point out, i'm assuming that anyone buying a Colnago retail in Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg are getting them via the same Benelux distributor as Maestro - that's an awful lot of Colnago's. The idea that this is somehow a substandard product doesn't really ring true.

Frans

by Frans

cjhart wrote:If you look at the actual bike that Saronni won the worlds on, you will see, even in Colnagos catalogue when it was first offered, that the colours on the original are darker, and were a dark burgandy, the new one taken for the brochure is lighter, and Colnago always has stated that colours will vary, from batch to batch.

Are we changing the thread back to attacks on the paint, lets get back to the price fixing!

Happy New Year from Maestro UK :)

Happy new year to you too CJ. Would have a lot more respect for your shop if it just admitted these paint jobs are fugly and not at all a good representation of the Colnago Factory's PR-82. You saw the pictures yourself, Ernesto doesn't care what Saronni rode - if so, why are the '08 colours so red? Might be before your time but I still own a '83 / '84 Mexico in Saronni colours and over the last 24 years that frame has been red. But beyond colour, any 3 year old with an eye for detail could tell you the decals are poor. Every day on eBay are tons of decals that are superior: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/colnago-world-cha ... 240%3A1318

Most of the other colours on the maestro site loog good but these are shockers.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Frans wrote:
Happy new year to you too CJ. Would have a lot more respect for your shop if it just admitted these paint jobs are fugly and not at all a good representation of the Colnago Factory's PR-82. You saw the pictures yourself, Ernesto doesn't care what Saronni rode - if so, why are the '08 colours so red? Might be before your time but I still own a '83 / '84 Mexico in Saronni colours and over the last 24 years that frame has been red. But beyond colour, any 3 year old with an eye for detail could tell you the decals are poor. Every day on eBay are tons of decals that are superior: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/colnago-world-cha ... 240%3A1318

Most of the other colours on the maestro site loog good but these are shockers.
Bear in mind Maestro's Mike Perry has been around since the early 80's or before as Wielersport then Maestro selling Colnagos all the time.
I am in the unusual position of being in the UK retail trade as well as being a Wielersport customer in the late 80's. In addition I have been the recipient of astounding customer service from Mike.

A few years after I bought a bike from Mike, I upgraded it elsewhere to Mavic SSC. A while later I managed to shear the rear mech anchor bolt. Unable to get a replacement part I called Mike. He couldn't get the part but said that his son had recently crashed in Het Volk and totaled the rear mech. If the mech was any good I was welcome to it. It worked and I saved the cost of a new mech.

As people have stated he is a straight shooter and a bikie through and through. Just because the US and to a degree UK distributors cause the prices to be higher than they need be is not a reason to bash this man.

If you can't afford RRP and don't want to deal with mail order, don't whine, just save a bit longer or buy something else.

Rasmus
Administrator

by Rasmus

I think we need to keep our heads clear before this gets out of hand. Name calling leads to nothing.

The fact that Maestro frames in the US technically are gray market trade goods does not mean they're any better or worse than a Colnago obtained through official US distribution channels.

Regarding the paint job I can see why people may want a factory original paint. Some people buy the Italian exotic thing, others just find that stock retain its value the best. On the other hand, I can also see the allure of something custom like KB's matte black Extreme-C. That frame, and build, is by far my all time favorite Collie. On a close second is Boonen's alloy Dream. Then comes the Saronni - in which case I'd be sure to get a factory identical paintjob.

There is no doubt in my mind that Maestro does a bang-up job taking care of their customers and the sport, and in general just being a nice bunch of blokes. I don't think anybody said differently.

Regarding Colnago's choice of distribution channels; I'm with jerk. I'm in the US, and I'd get a Maestro. The difference in price is just ridiculous.
- Papa R. Fresh

cjhart

by cjhart

Just like to point out I don't work for Mike, so correction, it's not my shop! We are just good friends and Mike is not so good with forums.

Having had 7 or so Colnagos from Mike now, I can say from 1st hand experience that they are 100% bona fide Colnago's my paint jobs have always been excellent.

If they were not, they would go back - simple, and Mike would sort it - that is the type of person he is, old fashioned customer service.

It's funny in all this, that nobody seems bothered that most of Colnagos range now comes, made and painted in Taiwan.

Look at the EPS - it's only assembled in Italy, the tubes are made in Taiwan that is why it has an English threaded B/B. Perhaps it's really a Giant? lol.

Really why get the arse about the Belgian paint - it was good enough for Rabobank for many years.

Other makes, Ciocc, De Rosa, Pinarello,CBT et all who all have their bikes made in Taiwan, and operate price fixing networks.

Still to me, knowing Mike, it all sounds very personal, attacks, statements, mis-statements, grey facts, grey markets, price cartels, so called dodgy paint jobs, 2nd hand frames, he at the end of the day is just doing what he can to get buy in life.

I guess you have 2 choices, don't get your frame from Maestro and pay what price is dictated in the authorised dealer network or get it from Maestro and pay a fair price because he isn't part of that network.

My choice will always be with Maestro, his frames are sourced from the authorised Colnago distributor in the Benelux - so why wouldn't you?

Still doubtless to say this argument will continue to run.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

cjhart wrote:Look at the EPS - it's only assembled in Italy, the tubes are made in Taiwan that is why it has an English threaded B/B. Perhaps it's really a Giant? lol.

In http://www.fairwheelbikes.com/forum/vie ... f=3&t=5479 , madcow wrote:Colnago BB no longer Italian.
Post by madcow on Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:13 am

Not sure if this has been made very public yet, but I thought I'd toss it out there just in case.

Colnago has switched from Italian bottom brackets to standard BSA(English). This is not just on the far East made frames but on all frames including the C50 and the Extreme. I'm told as of now ALL frames shipping from Colnago should have English bb's in them. However as there is some old stock, there may still be a few Italian bb frames.

So if you've ordered a frame you may wait to buy your bb until the frame arrives.

Are C50, EP, and Extreme-C tubes still made in Italy, English BB notwithstanding? Is there confirmation of EPS tubes being made in Taiwan rather than Italy (not that there's anything wrong with that, other than the deception and the price)? Is the Taiwanese heritage what justifies EPS's top of the range price ($6500 in U.S.)?

giant man

by giant man

cjhart wrote:Just like to point out I don't work for Mike, so correction, it's not my shop! We are just good friends and Mike is not so good with forums.

Having had 7 or so Colnagos from Mike now, I can say from 1st hand experience that they are 100% bona fide Colnago's my paint jobs have always been excellent.

If they were not, they would go back - simple, and Mike would sort it - that is the type of person he is, old fashioned customer service.

It's funny in all this, that nobody seems bothered that most of Colnagos range now comes, made and painted in Taiwan.

Look at the EPS - it's only assembled in Italy, the tubes are made in Taiwan that is why it has an English threaded B/B. Perhaps it's really a Giant? lol.

Really why get the arse about the Belgian paint - it was good enough for Rabobank for many years.

Other makes, Ciocc, De Rosa, Pinarello,CBT et all who all have their bikes made in Taiwan, and operate price fixing networks.

Still to me, knowing Mike, it all sounds very personal, attacks, statements, mis-statements, grey facts, grey markets, price cartels, so called dodgy paint jobs, 2nd hand frames, he at the end of the day is just doing what he can to get buy in life.

I guess you have 2 choices, don't get your frame from Maestro and pay what price is dictated in the authorised dealer network or get it from Maestro and pay a fair price because he isn't part of that network.

My choice will always be with Maestro, his frames are sourced from the authorised Colnago distributor in the Benelux - so why wouldn't you?

Still doubtless to say this argument will continue to run.

I don't think you should be saying such things, after all you really don't know do you

http://www.colnago.cc/

scroll down to 'Made in Italy'

J-Nice

by J-Nice

bigmonter wrote:Sorry I was not able to digest what you wrote but Dude your statements are as incomprehensible as those made by Miss. Othmar.

Steven

No, I speak clearly and to the point. You are the one who has chosen to argue semantics and obfuscate the original points in my posts to dilute intent of meaning and cause confusion.

So Steven, your long-winded off-topic diatribes notwithstanding, it is obvious you signed on to this site for the sole purpose of arguing someone else's position.

That is a shill. You have chosen to go after one particular poster(me) while clearly taking another poster's side.

You are not interested in an exchange of ideas, and I know from experience you will have to have the last word and will respond to this with more off-topic drivel.

Bottom line is your efforts will not sidetrack this thread. There have been people who have spoken up about their experiences with MS Maestro and their words hold more weight than your feeble attempts to dilute the issues at hand.

Regardless of what anyone wants to believe(despite the truth, which has been CLEARLY and logically explained) Mike IS NOT a grey market importer. He is a legit businessman following clearly demarcated lines that upset the "official" dealer network. That is his only sin.

If it helps anyone sleep at night their the Colnago they overpaid for came in the official shade of Sarroni red, then you are welcome to run, not walk, to your local lbs and overpay what amounts to thousands of dollars for the same exact frame.

The shades of red that people are arguing over is in fact, sarcasm aside, a valid point. My personal preference is the darker red that is on the Maestro site but if the lighter shade is what you are looking for then picking up the phone and explaining your needs would be the best way to clear up any confusion about this before any money is exchanged.

It would be quite another thing if you asked for a particular paintjob and received something else.

But on the matter of proof, I have not heard anyone say they had to send their Colnagos back because the paintjob was wrong or poorly executed. I have only heard anecdotal evidence from "grey market" posters :lol: that they have "seen" things that from my experience have never happened. They are only saying so to defend a certain position that is clearly based on the false premise that Mike is not legit.

Team frames, some used, sold as new-bad resprays of official paint schemes-none of this holds any water when you consider the source of these statements.
Check out the latest controversies in sport-

http://berzin.blogspot.com/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com