SRAM etap vs Di2 (Weight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

melchionda

by melchionda

Do we have any collective knowledge regarding the weight of the various electronic groups? i.e. What are the real world weights of:

-SRAM etap (Rim Brake)
-Dura Ace 9100 Di2 (Disk)
-Dura Ace 9100 Di2 (Rim Brake)
-Dura Ace 9000 Di2 (Disk)

Here is my story...

I'm currently running a Disk S-Works Tarmac with DuraAce 9000 Di2. The bike rides beautifully. Only issue is that it's heavier than I'd like it to be. It's 17lbs dry and 18 with my road bandit strapped to the saddle. (Note that the bike also has an S-works SRM too).

My last bike was a Rim Brake Marin Stelvio which had terrible ride quality but was much much lighter.

I'd like a lighter bike. So I guess I have a few options and I was wondering how much weight I would save if I did any of the following:

- Upgrade my S-works Disk Tarmac to Dura Ace 9100 di2
- Change my S-works Disk Tarmac over to Sram etap
- Sell it and go back to a rim brake bike. (I know I could get an S-works Tarmac with etap to weigh about 14lbs.)

Anyway.. i know this is the only forum on the internet where I could potentially get an answer to this problem so what do you guys think?

Best

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skeptic

by Skeptic

:o
Last edited by Skeptic on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bilwit

by bilwit

Not sure about how the hydraulic 9000/9100 compare but for rim brakes, there's only ~25g difference and less if you're not switching cranks/rings so there's not much to be gained going to 9170 (though the ergonomics of the new 9170 hoods is worth upgrading the shifters by themselves).

Groupset would be among the last thing I would look to upgrade in terms of weight savings.. are you sure you're mined out completely? You could save several hundreds of grams by using things like a Berk saddle, Extralite stem, Extralite expander, trimming the seatpost & stem, replacing the thru axles.. That said, there's a ~100g swing between 9150 and eTap so that would be the group of choice..

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/21 ... m-red-etap

Obviously there's up to 300g penalty for running discs instead of rim brakes but it's up to you to decide what's more important.

sychen

by sychen

Which generation frameset and wheels are you running?
My SL6 S-works disc (52cm) is around 15lb(6.87kg with cages/pedals and Garmin 820 on it).
I'm running full 9170 , s-works power cranks and with CLX50 wheels.. the only WW part is my Berk Lupina (just happens to be the most comfy saddle).