ROLF ELAN WHEEL SET

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Karma

Took delivery of a Rolf Elan wheelset a few weeks ago. CAMPY 10 speed. Now I have some miles on them and early impressions. Anybody want to talk? 8)

BUCKY BALLS ARE COOOL!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Liteman

by Liteman

I've got a set of Australian wheels..their called Rolf Hs...amazing.
Talk about tie me kangaroo down sport... 8)
I want to ride my bicycle...I want to ride my bike.

chinphu

by chinphu

Yes, please tell us your impressions about this wheel. It appears to be quite a deal.

by Karma

Hi chinphu,

First, check Rolf's site: http://www.rolfwheels.com/. They are light. Workmanship is terrific. All super lites use reduced spoke count. Question is, will the stiffness be OK? The Elan's seem plenty stiff. Problem is how do you separate the wheels from the bike? Difficult. Anybody have any thoughts about this? My carbon Giant's vertical stiffness is engineered with some springiness to absorb road shock where it is very good. I don't see any difference when the Elan's are mounted. The ride is very comfortable.

I think lateral stiffness is reflected by cornering precision. Again, excellent. But, even better is the quickness of the bike. Here the liteness shows. The bike now redefines the path between the brain and the road. They give the impression that the bike and wheels were designed as a whole. Very nice.

I live in the mountains. On hills I wonder: who removed the trailer? Thats how it feels. They make me a lot better than I am.

The roads here are not too pot holed. But, so far no broken spokes and they reminan true. I think they are beautiful without being splashy. The semi aero shape (25mm thick) does not need long stem tubes but it's close. My Blackburm pump works OK. So does my inflator.

The hubs are very smooth. The rear hubs are interesting. Both the flanges are high (large) but the left side is higher and spaced towards the frame centerline. This results in spoke angles that are quite close with left and drive side tension that are close to matched. Quite a trick with wide 10 speed cassettes.

BUCKY BALLS ARE COOOL! 8)[url][/url]