NEW! '09 EE Brakes!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

FreaK wrote:I agree, total boat anchor :lol:

Boat anchor usually refers to a heavy part, 191g with pads is not heavy. more pivots = more leverage = more stopping power, but with modularity.
They look better than zero gravity, but then again, who cares what a brake looks like?

"I'm about to whack into a guardrail because I can't stop in time, but boy, do these brakes look great!"

I'd like to see them in red or amber anodized.

They could make Campy versions without the QR that would be even lighter.
Google: Results 1 - 20 of about 88,500 English pages for _doping_, _cycling_ and _denies_. (0.33 seconds)

arcspin

by arcspin

I think this is a good picture showing the different lining of the brake cable.
Compare the TRP brake and the EE brake.
Interesting design, I must say.

I'm looking forward to read about some real world experiences about their stopping power and modulation.
Especially if someone could compare it with the said TRP 960.
After all the EE is 40-50 grams lighter....

cheers,
/arcspin
a climbers delight...SCOTT ADDICT Ltd
http://arcspin.wordpress.com/my-bike/

Camp Mallorca
http://www.campmallorca.se

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tochnics

by tochnics

they dont look the same but it made me think of the bontrager brakes
wich are a bit mechanical to
even if it had the stopping power of a dura ace and the weight of a kcnc i still would not get them,its just not pretty
howevr in black with the weight and power of the mentioned brakes above...
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

DETEC

by DETEC

with all the will in the world and admiration for others who like to try and brings new things to a some times repetative world, i still think the inspiration comes from here!!::

http://flickr.com/photos/shapelike/2237556429/

yeah i do think they are ugly but then maybe i am a bit biast

arcspin

by arcspin

tochnics wrote:howevr in black with the weight and power of the mentioned brakes above...

well, they do come in black...Now we have to wait and read about the stopping power and modulation
a climbers delight...SCOTT ADDICT Ltd
http://arcspin.wordpress.com/my-bike/

Camp Mallorca
http://www.campmallorca.se

mazdatech10

by mazdatech10

$550.00 + is alot to ask for 200 gram brakes , those things have more pivots than a d/ hill bike a few yrs ago, wouldn't want to run them in the winter with all those pivots,

Starter

by Starter

okr wrote:
mythical wrote:, USA made precision

ahh...that`s a winning argument

Actually, it is.

Unless, of course, you're aware of some US made bike components that aren't up to snuff? Thomson, maybe? Perhaps Ciamillo doesn't meet your standards? Callfee or Crumpton seem a bit shoddily made to you?

Of course, it's hard to compare any of the garbage cycling gear we make to all the fine stuff coming out of... Norway.

HanSolo

by HanSolo

In cycling tech, USA made = extremely high quality stuff.

I just bought a bunch of vintage USA made nails on ebay because I'm sick of the Chinese made garbage sold locally, actually, everywhere. They would bend when I hammer them into paper thin wooden boards. These days, it's impossible to find USA made nails without going to ebay or estate sales. I just thought about it the other day, that when I come to die, I would like to be buried in a coffin, where the pieces of woods are held together by 100% American made nails. Simple wish really.

Starter wrote:
okr wrote:
mythical wrote:, USA made precision

ahh...that`s a winning argument

Actually, it is.

Unless, of course, you're aware of some US made bike components that aren't up to snuff? Thomson, maybe? Perhaps Ciamillo doesn't meet your standards? Callfee or Crumpton seem a bit shoddily made to you?

Of course, it's hard to compare any of the garbage cycling gear we make to all the fine stuff coming out of... Norway.
Everything can be drilled, except tires.

HanSolo

by HanSolo

Yeah, that is pricey. I think $250-$350 is more palatable, esp. in this time of economic anarchy.

mazdatech10 wrote:$550.00 + is alot to ask for 200 gram brakes , those things have more pivots than a d/ hill bike a few yrs ago, wouldn't want to run them in the winter with all those pivots,

LTR

by LTR

Stuff the brakes.... I want a pair of the EE Cranks!
Twelve is Enough?
| NS Suburban | Norco Team DH | Intense Uzzi DH | Cecil Walker Flat Bar | Basso Laguna | Vivente Lugano | Felt Virtue 1 |
| Surly Steamroller | Salsa El Mariachi 29er | Felt Tk2 Track | Surly Long Haul Trucker | Gellie Custom Fixie |

mythical

by mythical

EE cranks won't be out anytime soon. What you saw at Interbike are proto's that didn't comply with EE standards (even though these exceeded the Dura-Ace norm). Btw, EE cranks are direct descendants from Sweet Wings (same creator). :wink:

Don't expect the newer prototypes done before the end of this year and with testing and manufacturing still standing between a prototype and a consumer version, that would take a bit of waiting. Well worth the wait in my estimation though! :)

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

The brakes were actually quite nicer on a bike than I had expected. The action was incredibly smooth and strong. I've got two sets of them, and plan on getting a full review up next week. Here's a couple pictures as well as weights: http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtop ... c&start=85

mythical wrote:EE cranks won't be out anytime soon. What you saw at Interbike are proto's that didn't comply with EE standards (even though these exceeded the Dura-Ace norm). Btw, EE cranks are direct descendants from Sweet Wings (same creator). :wink:

Don't expect the newer prototypes done before the end of this year and with testing and manufacturing still standing between a prototype and a consumer version, that would take a bit of waiting. Well worth the wait in my estimation though! :)

The cranks didn't make it to the show. There will be about 10 sets of the final version done in December. Most are scheduled to be tested to destruction, but a few sets will be rider tested. I'll be one of those riders. I'll post a review of them when they arrive. Though as was pointed out. Moving from prototypes to production can take quite a while, so don't expect to see them available anytime soon.

mythical

by mythical

What? No EE cranks at IB? :shock: Shame... :(

Craig told me he was probably taking them. Yea, I too was told final prototypes are planned for December. That's not the only crankset with final prototypes that should be finished by then... ;)

I did notice a lot of high-end bikes mounted with EE brakes. I think that says a lot! :)

GrahamB

by GrahamB

Look like they were inspired by vice-grips :lol:
In the end, who cares what they look like if they are light, reliable and work well? There's no question you do give up some braking with the KCNC to save some weight, so if these guys can do better, more power to them.
Graham

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HanSolo

by HanSolo

How can you say this so calmly?:shock:

GrahamB wrote:who cares what they look like if they are light, reliable and work well?