NEW! '09 EE Brakes!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

blybo

by blybo

So what I really want to know is are these brake pad blocks available separately?

I hate swapping pads every time I swap to my race wheels. Quite happy with my Red brakes though.
08 Cervelo R3, Sram Red, Zipp 101's= :-)

djconnel

by djconnel

The yellow swiss-stops don't need to be swapped, just cleaned.

BTW, Bike Nüt in San Francisco sells EE brakes, including a very cool red anodized pair.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blybo

by blybo

I hear ya, but Swiss Stops (which i use with my Zipps) don't work anywhere near as well on Alu rims as my Salmon/black Koolstops. Most of my riding is in metropolitan Melbourne and in group rides, ie. lots of traffic lights meaning heavy braking is fairly common.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I think he's asking about the brake pad holders. If so the aftermarket holders are a slightly different configuration from the stock ones that come on the brakes. As far as I know fairwheel is the only place to get the holders by themselves.
Last edited by madcow on Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jediknights

by jediknights

bar non the best working brake i have every used. i think there the best mix of light weight and has the best stopping power of any brake i have ever used. im switching from my m5s to the ee's thats how good i think they are.
Theforcetraining.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W

+ 1 to what Jedi says... best bar NONE. No one else's design can compare with the leverage and modulation. Period. I've got 5000+ miles on mine.

Some more perspective: I have 7900s on one bike and EEs on the other. Performance is very comparable. 7900 are stiffer, but the EEs have better modulation/feel. After going to some other light brakes for some time, and then making the switch back to grouppo (DA, Record, etc) calipers... I was scratching my head thinking... I dealt with this crappy performance for how long? I was sworn off weenie brakes. Until EEs. They are different, you get a 100g savings, and you don't compromise performance.

Good greif, I test rode a bike with those flexy KCNC brakes... those are downright laughable. Don't get me started on the others.

As for pad holders... why? The pads pop out with no effort, and can be swapped in seconds as fast as you change a wheel. I use SwissStop Yellows for my carbon wheels, and Green for my Ceramics. I swap my four wheelsets just about as often as I change my underwear.

blybo

by blybo

Rich_W wrote:As for pad holders... why? The pads pop out with no effort, and can be swapped in seconds as fast as you change a wheel. I use SwissStop Yellows for my carbon wheels, and Green for my Ceramics. I swap my four wheelsets just about as often as I change my underwear.

I want the pad holders separately to see if they will fit my Sram Red calipers. Baby on the way means disposable income has gone to $hit so no new brakes for me :( . My only annoyance with having carbon wheels for race day is changing the brake pads too. If I could eliminate that hassle I'd be wrapped and would ride the zipps more often when I now the weather will be fine, otherwise I use Easton EA90 Aero's.

too slow

by too slow

Its more hassle to change the whole pad holder than just the pads, if its not Campy that is. Just undo the little set screw and slide em out. Changing the whole pad holders is more of a pain with adjusting the pad height and toe.

Congrats on the baby! And changing brakes pads will be the easiest thing you will be changing soon enough. Welcome to a life filled with dirty diapers. They make up for it though, best thing I ever did was having kids

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

The EE brake design is similar to the C record deltas I have and the stopping power of those is pretty nice mainly dues to the center pull action. The stopping power of the chorus brakes with kool stop pads and a machined rim surface is even better. The stopping power of the zero gravity plus kool stop rubber and machines surface is comparable to the chorus brakes.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Appears there's very few people retailing these online?

So no discounted prices really forthcoming....?

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

You can get them direct from EE, the production run is so small I doubt you'll see them discounted anywhere. In fact the only place I know of that stocks them is Fairwheel (there's certainly no one in the UK, where I'm based)

Mine should arrive direct from EE (via 3 weeks in customs) this morning, can't wait to try them out!
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

CharlesM

by CharlesM

too slow wrote:Its more hassle to change the whole pad holder than just the pads, if its not Campy that is. Just undo the little set screw and slide em out. Changing the whole pad holders is more of a pain with adjusting the pad height and toe.

Congrats on the baby! And changing brakes pads will be the easiest thing you will be changing soon enough. Welcome to a life filled with dirty diapers. They make up for it though, best thing I ever did was having kids

No screw on the EE.

And note the retaining lip edge tapers so you pop up tha back...

and push the pad out (not a lot of effort).

Then push in the new pad and snap it closed...

I think changing blocks is a lot easier than changing pads on everything but EE.

Most pads simply do not come close to sliding out of stock holders very easy... And when you change from wheel to wheel (between carn and Alu or otherwise), you need to reposition your brake pads anyway (virtually every time).

If you're only changing pads when worn, you should inspect the pad holders and brakes and remount em anyway...

tmanley

by tmanley

I've got a pair of the brake pad holders arriving Friday. I'll let folks know how they work with my M5 brakes. Like others, I'm so tired of the extra time it takes to change holders when I switch between my alu and carbon wheelsets.

durkonion

by durkonion

PezTech wrote:No screw on the EE.

That is really slick.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

roadwarrior

by roadwarrior

Anyone try the EE brakes with the 7900 or Di2 levers? Wondering how they work with the different leverage ratio.