NEW! '09 EE Brakes!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

djconnel

by djconnel

Jan Heine is reviewing these in the new (Autumn) Bicycle Quarterly. It will be interesting to see his take on them as he's done a fairly extensive study of brake design history.

http://www.bikequarterly.com/currentissue.html

djconnel

by djconnel

I got the magazine and cropping suitable trials were done on a 12% grade comparing EE vs SRAM Force brakes, braking front, rear, both, with Kool Stop salmon or green/black pads.

EE brakes benefited more than SRAM from the salmon pads. The black/green were clearly inferior. The rear brake didn't help....stopping rear only was a disaster and stopping front & rear didn't reduce stopping distance relative to front only (at maximum braking there is little force between rear tire and road). With salmon pads, SRAM brakes stopped 5% faster, but that is a relatively small difference compared with effect brake pads. With black/green pads SRAMs stopped around 15% faster than the EE brakes.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wojchiech

by wojchiech

For all those wondering about the direct-mount version; I recently exchanged emails with Craig and he said that they should hopefully be shipping in August (next month!) :unbelievable: :thumbup: :beerchug:

Just in time for when I may or may not be getting a new frame with direct-mount brakes... :mrgreen:

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I want a set of those for my Madone, have resisted getting DA brakes as I'm running SRAM and the generic Bontrager brakes are not the best.

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Colnago Dream,
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Any news about the planned aero shield for the front brake? I'll replace my dura ace front brake on my madone for it if so, just because.

cajer

by cajer

Kayrehn wrote:Any news about the planned aero shield for the front brake? I'll replace my dura ace front brake on my madone for it if so, just because.

I emailed craig about a month ago and he said somewhere around a month. So I'm guessing it coming out at the same time as the direct mount brakes

mythical

by mythical

Good news! EE brakes were redesigned and improved instead of merely adding a Direct Mount version. Kudos to Craig!

“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

cajer

by cajer

Mythical do you have anymore information regarding them?

mythical

by mythical

Price remains about the same, so does weight. Expected availability: August
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

eric

by eric

I am dying to know what that adjuster does.

One of my few quibbles about the EEs is not being able to adjust the brake clearance while riding.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Kayrehn wrote:Any news about the planned aero shield for the front brake? I'll replace my dura ace front brake on my madone for it if so, just because.

The shield will be available shortly as well and will be an option, but not standard on brakes. I have a prototype version on a set of brakes and can't decide if I like the look of it or not. I'll put some pictures of it up shortly.

eric wrote:I am dying to know what that adjuster does.

The adjuster is for centering the brake, since it's not possible to use the mounting bolt to center a direct fit brake, this is the alternative.

BmanX

by BmanX

Will you only be able to use the shield on the newer version or the old version as well. I currently have my bike set up with the TriRig Omega up front and the older EE brake on the back but would like to run both EE brakes on my aero road frame and the Omega's on my TT bike.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I've heard the new brakes are a fair bit stiffer with better modulation and power

corky

by corky

i saw some proto pics where the ti spring was hidden, this was an improvement imho..... i hate how hard it is to clean behind that spring that collects all sorts of crud...ll stuck on worms is the worst.

small beer in the grand scheme of the brakes but something that irritates me

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cajer

by cajer

I'm very interested in the areo arch. I wonder if he did any CFD.

I'll be looking forward to get a front at least