Release date for Mavic Shoes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

critracer26

by critracer26

Does anyone know when the new Mavic shoes will be available?

I saw them at a cross race in Gloucester a few weeks ago and they seemed real nice, depending on the price that is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I think they are already. My LBS here in Bermuda has a few pairs, and if they have them, they have got to be fairly available in NA at least.

robertg

by robertg

We already have some mens and womens MTB shoes (Scorpio and Pulse) in our shop in NJ.

airsoft510

by airsoft510

They have them in at Palo Alto Bicycles. They look really nice

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

BdaGhisallo wrote:I think they are already. My LBS here in Bermuda has a few pairs, and if they have them, they have got to be fairly available in NA at least.

Unless they all disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle. :wink:

critracer26

by critracer26

really? i havent seen them anywhere. Does anyone know any online sellers? i would like to get an idea of pricing.

wasfast

by wasfast

Do they come in other colors than yellow?

sawyer

by sawyer

wasfast wrote:Do they come in other colors than yellow?

Yes - they come in white.

critracer26

by critracer26

robertg wrote:We already have some mens and womens MTB shoes (Scorpio and Pulse) in our shop in NJ.

What shop is it?

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

I´m curious who makes the shoes for Mavic? Anyone know?
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

steven880

by steven880

mrowkoob wrote:I´m curious who makes the shoes for Mavic? Anyone know?

Adidas

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

steven880 wrote:
mrowkoob wrote:I´m curious who makes the shoes for Mavic? Anyone know?

Adidas

Salomon.

Adidas never really made their own cycling shoes, Salomon/Mavic/Arc'Teryx just licensed the Adidas brand name to sell cycling shoes and clothing with the 3 stripes, but now they will be sold under their own Mavic brand name instead, because Adidas sold off the Salomon group again back in 2005.
http://thisjustin.bicycling.com/2008/06 ... ng-mo.html
But Mavic is part of a much bigger company, the Amer Sports Group, which is also owner of Wilson, Salomon and Suunto, as well as Arc'Teryx and other premium outdoor brands.

And the relationship with Salomon and Arc'Teryx especially, has yielded big dividends for Mavic's cycling tech, especially on the clothing side. Yes, clothing. Mavic has been making cycling footwear and clothing for some time now, but licensing the Adidas brand name to sell these products. (In 2005 Adidas sold off its stake in Mavic, Salomon, etc. to Amer.)

But because Mavic means more to cyclists than Adidas does, later this year and into 2009, Mavic will debut a new line of softgoods under its own name, and from what I've seen so far this week at Mavic's Annecy, France, headquarters, the company is smart to do so. For one thing, what they're about to debut is far more technical and innovative than anything that Mavic sold with an Adidas logo. And for another, when Mavic puts its own name on something, it does some serious homework.

Amer Sports brands:
Salomon
Wilson
Precor
Atomic
Suunto
Mavic
Arc'teryx
Bonfire
Cliché
DeMarini
Dynamic
Volant
Oxygen
ATEC
Cardio Theater
ClubCom
Bare
Ursuk

Adidas took over the ownership of the French Salomon group including Mavic in 1997 before Salomon made Adidas branded cycling shoes, but Adidas sold off the Salomon group again including Mavic to the Finnish Amer Sports in 2005, so Adidas has no financial ties with Salomon and Mavic anymore. But in this deal the Salomon group kept the license rights to still keep selling Adidas branded cycling shoes for some years. But now they will sell them under their own Mavic brand instead of the licensed Adidas brand.
Salomon has a long experince making footwear like hiking boots/shoes, snowbaord boots, alpine- and nordic skiing boots and roller skates, so the step to start making cycling shoes was not that big, they share some of the same design features like stiff soles and special buckles and bindings.
Salomon is not the first French skiing brand in cyling because the first sucsessful clipless pedal system was made by the ski binding manufacturer Look.
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 707#206707
2 wheels wrote:...Mavic and Salomon are no longer owned by Adidas.
In 2005 Adidas sold the Salomon buisness including its satellite brands Arc'teryx, Mavic, Bonfire and Cliché to Amer Sports...
http://www.adidas-group.com/en/News/arc ... _10_20.asp
Adidas Group wrote:adidas-Salomon completes divestiture of Salomon to Amer Sports Corporation

Herzogenaurach, October 20, 2005 – adidas-Salomon AG announced today that it has formally completed the divestiture of its Salomon business segment to the Amer Sports Corporation. As previously announced, the transaction value for the Salomon business segment is approximately € 485 million based on year-end 2004 figures. The final price will be adjusted in accordance with net assets as at September 30, 2005. Following the completion of the divestiture of the Salomon business segment on October 19, 2005, the Salomon segment will be deconsolidated at the beginning of the fourth quarter 2005.

The Salomon business segment includes the related subsidiaries and brands Salomon, Mavic, Bonfire, Arc’Teryx and Cliché. In conjunction with the transaction, adidas-Salomon and Amer have entered into collaboration agreements in order to ensure a smooth transition post closing.

“With the Salomon divestiture now complete, our organization is now devoting its energies to the adidas and TaylorMade brands and the next major steps lying ahead of us,” said adidas-Salomon CEO Herbert Hainer. “The Salomon family of brands continues to offer considerable promise and we wish them all the best for their future.”

adidas-Salomon is one of the global leaders within the sporting goods industry and offers a broad range of products with brands such as adidas and TaylorMade in its portfolio. Excluding the Salomon business segment, the adidas Group had 14,217 employees and reached sales of € 5.9 billion in 2004. The Group’s net income attributable to shareholders from continuing and discontinued operations reached € 314 million in 2004. adidas-Salomon AG will remain the company’s name for the time being. The change of the name to adidas AG is subject to shareholder approval and will be proposed to the Annual General Meeting in May 2006.

http://www.amersports.com/about/in_brie ... 3afb7ff94a
Amer Sports wrote:2005

Amer acquires Salomon

Amer Sports was ready to make a strategic move by acquiring Salomon and the family of brands Mavic, Bonfire, Arc'teryx, and Cliché. The combined business created a leading global sports equipment company with combined sales of EUR 1.7 billion and 7,300 employees. Salomon is known for highly innovative and performance oriented products. The new acquisition also expanded Amer Sports businesses in outdoor and opened completely new market areas of bicycle components and technical clothing.

The Adidas branded cycling shoes are kind of like the Nike branded cycling shoes. The Nike shoes were said to actually be made by DMT. But I beleive Trek/Bontrager has now taken over the Nike cycling shoes, selling them under the Bontrager b rand istead of the Nike brand.