BROKEN Ax Lightness Daedalus seatpost - shocking pictures :(

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Does MTB use automatically mean suspension MTB use? What about hard tail MTB?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gitsome

by gitsome

no, just judging by the photos posted.

ferremi

by ferremi

Well have a look at this please
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17lyIRCK5Es
It's Roel Paulissen at the 2008 Olympics
euro cycling code of conduct!
"You shall not, under any circumstances, acknowledge the presence of a cyclist riding a bike costing less than $4000 USD in a public place. This could be severely detrimental to your image."

Danton

by Danton

Many pros use parts but they can be modified. Maybe Paulissen is the kind of guy who can talk to Axel and say "make me a light post but reinforce it, my job's on the line, I don't mind 25g extra weight".

Just because a pro rides something doesn't mean it's the best part :wink:

gitsome

by gitsome

cool, I missed that event during the Olympics. Maybe the super refined level of finesse in his riding contributes to his safety of both his equipment and body, a rider of average or even above average skill might still take bumps and hits a bit more off kilter that could cause ww parts to break or the fatter tires an lower pressure might still take enough bite out to save the post.

Also when mtb one tends to be out of the seat more than in cross so the weight would be off the seat during hits that could send enough stress to break the post.

Or maybe the post was just defective...

kgt

by kgt

these WW parts are expensive, the extra cost implies two things: that they are made of higher quality material and labor, and that they have been tested thoroughly. If we are spending big money on parts just cobbled together for the sake of a low number, then that's not higher-level cycling, that's just poor consumerism. "Pushing the envelope" and under-engineering a part are not the same thing.

:exactly:

HanSolo

by HanSolo

I'm surprised AX is turning a blind eye.
Everything can be drilled, except tires.

mythical

by mythical

I dropped by the AX-Lightness booth at Eurobike and they had this:
That is one helluva sweet ride! I wouldn't mind taking one of those round the Nürburgring Nordschleife (as if I won't kill myself in the first few corners with that car easily going 400km/h). :mrgreen:

I did show one of the AX-Lightness guys the photos on my laptop of the broken Daedalus seatpost and he was a bit shocked as well. :roll:

pk0r was gonna drop by but was hiding for some reason (his new bike wasn't at Eurobike) but then I did get to speak with Jan Ullrich and his brother, both of whom I find to be really nice guys. :D

@Roberto Bicicletas: Contact AX about your seatpost and see if you can get a replacement. Otherwise, I suggest you try the new 3t Palladio LTD seatpost, which to me looks to be pretty solid at 159g. ;)

Roberto Bicicletas

by Roberto Bicicletas

Well this happened on wednesday, i sent them an e-mail on thursday but i am sure they are busy with the Eurobike, so will try to give them a call on monday!

mythical: thanks for your help, much appreciated! :thanx:

Had a look at the Ax new website (Premium Selection), the new Daedalus has a claimed weight of 79 grams! :hmm:

Also found a spelling mistake ;)

mythical

by mythical

Much obliged, Robertas, though there's no need to make fun of AX-Lightness like that but I can see the humour in it. :lol:

Be fair in all honesty. Everything eventually breaks under a certain given load. I understand if you're disappointed in the performance if your seatpost and your photos are self-explanatory that it's a catastrophic failure. Believe me, you're not the first who had a broken seatpost! I've witnessed first-hand how really light guys broke even heavier seatposts! :shock:

Btw, that weight of 79g is for a Europa seatpost. ;)

Roberto Bicicletas

by Roberto Bicicletas

Been dealing with Ax Lightness via e-mail and phone in the last 10 days and today got this:

Hello roberto,

with reference to your email we are unable to accept your complaint.

We would like to inform you, that our products are developed for riding, road and MTB. At cycle cross, the rider continues jumping onto the saddle, witch is special in this sport. This causes unusual forces.

You should use massive metal parts, not elements made from fibre materials for your sport.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/With best regards

i. A. Jutta Bauer

I honestly can't believe a company that makes weight weenie top end products is recommending me to use "massive metal parts" for "my sport"...

GrahamB

by GrahamB

Roberto Bicicletas wrote:I honestly can't believe a company that makes weight weenie top end products is recommending me to use "massive metal parts" for "my sport"...

I can. Their logic is reasonable: cyclocross potentially loads seats & posts more than any other form of cycling because of the remounting procedure. In which case, the seatpost is not the place to save weight on a cx bike.

Which is not to say that you broke your post in that way...
Graham

Roberto Bicicletas

by Roberto Bicicletas

Quite a lot of riders are using carbon seatposts on their bikes (and carbon frames, wheels, brakes...)

GrahamB

by GrahamB

Roberto Bicicletas wrote:Quite a lot of riders are using carbon seatposts on their bikes (and carbon frames, wheels, brakes...)

Again, no criticism but... so what? AX's point is that jumping on the bike stresses the seat & post, so carbon wheels etc are irrelevant (and they are all using CX specific frames). The fact that other riders have gotten away with other, heavier carbon seat posts can hardly be considered a warranty that a post designed to be minimal possible weight for road and mtb usage is ok for CX.

That's a bit like saying most of the guys racing DH in the world cup use alloy rims and rubber tyres, so I should be ok to use ZTR race rims with Furious Freds to race DH...
Graham

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Roberto Bicicletas wrote:Been dealing with Ax Lightness via e-mail and phone in the last 10 days and today got this:

Hello roberto,

with reference to your email we are unable to accept your complaint.

We would like to inform you, that our products are developed for riding, road and MTB. At cycle cross, the rider continues jumping onto the saddle, witch is special in this sport. This causes unusual forces.

You should use massive metal parts, not elements made from fibre materials for your sport.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/With best regards

i. A. Jutta Bauer

I honestly can't believe a company that makes weight weenie top end products is recommending me to use "massive metal parts" for "my sport"...

That has to be the biggest load of crap I've ever read here. Makes me glad there are no longer any ax parts on my bike- nor will there be in the future after reading that.