BROKEN Ax Lightness Daedalus seatpost - shocking pictures :(

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sml12

by sml12

Looks like it failed where the AX logo was dented into the carbon post which thinned the carbon thickness in that area!?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gitsome

by gitsome

Oh my God! A sub 150 gram post broke during a cross event!! Jesus Christ sometimes weight weenies are too much to take.

Roberto Bicicletas

by Roberto Bicicletas

gitsome wrote:Oh my God! A sub 150 gram post broke during a cross event!! Jesus Christ sometimes weight weenies are too much to take.

?

What's the purpose of the seatpost then? To be displayed at Interbike/Eurobike, or being used on the rollers only?

;)

mythical

by mythical

I rode around with a USE Alien Cyclops seatpost myself for 5 years since 2001, which isn't nothing considering the abuse I threw at it, and had no problems whatsoever. It weighed only 127g in 280mm and now a friend of mine is using it because I now ride a Scott Addict with ISP. I think whatever parts you put on your bike, they should hold up. :roll:

ferremi

by ferremi

Sorry but where has this forum gone, where a member is criticized for using a ww approved part :noidea: I use their posts on two of my bikes, and am about to order another for my mtb. The seatpost is clearly stated to be used on mtb and road, I see no major difference from a cyclox and a mtb event, in terms of terrain and actually think a mtb event is a lot more technical anyway it is very unfortunate what happened, but AX is pushing the envelope in design, weight and stiffness. Stuff like this can happen, which sucks but that is why we are ww and not some regular road cyclist. I believe there is a forum for those avg. kind of cyclist and is called bikeforums
Last edited by ferremi on Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
euro cycling code of conduct!
"You shall not, under any circumstances, acknowledge the presence of a cyclist riding a bike costing less than $4000 USD in a public place. This could be severely detrimental to your image."

Danton

by Danton

I with you ferremi in some ways. Everyone wows at light parts but when it breaks, Roberto is blamed! Also everyone is making the link at the broken post and the fact that it's a Daedalus, if Roberto put pictures of a fractured FSA post, no one would care. Obviously a Daedalus is a lightweight and fragile post and Roberto knew that.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Roberto Bicicletas wrote:
gitsome wrote:Oh my God! A sub 150 gram post broke during a cross event!! Jesus Christ sometimes weight weenies are too much to take.

?

What's the purpose of the seatpost then? To be displayed at Interbike/Eurobike, or being used on the rollers only?

;)
No, also for display at bikemotion.

If it's not for MTB use, then it shoudln't say on the product that it is.

Raxel

by Raxel

I have seen lots of XC bikers using AX seatposts. See this bike for example.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/s ... pics-18011

Roberto Bicicletas

by Roberto Bicicletas

Raxel wrote:I have seen lots of XC bikers using AX seatposts. See this bike for example.

Nice one, thanks for the link - beautiful bike by the way!

Roberto Bicicletas

by Roberto Bicicletas

Actually found a better picture of the same seatpost being used on the Beijing Olympic Games

ferremi

by ferremi

Oh classic Paulissen Roel on his kick a$$ Cannondale, I guess he was taking it easy and trying to come last so his seatpost would survive :roll:
euro cycling code of conduct!
"You shall not, under any circumstances, acknowledge the presence of a cyclist riding a bike costing less than $4000 USD in a public place. This could be severely detrimental to your image."

Roberto Bicicletas

by Roberto Bicicletas

He was probably thinking " i hope i can manage to cross the finish line without have my a$$ stabbed by the seatpost!"

;)

gitsome

by gitsome

WW stuff is great but my point was to exercise common sense in its usage and the expression of surprise when a post like that breaks during a cross race is surprising in itself. But hey, I'm just an average biker with a $12,000 bike that weighs 15.5 lbs. Glad that's not my ass!

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

ferremi wrote:Sorry but where has this forum gone, where a member is criticized for using a ww approved part :noidea: I use their posts on two of my bikes, and am about to order another for my mtb. The seatpost is clearly stated to be used on mtb and road, I see no major difference from a cyclox and a mtb event, in terms of terrain and actually think a mtb event is a lot more technical anyway it is very unfortunate what happened, but AX is pushing the envelope in design, weight and stiffness. Stuff like this can happen, which sucks but that is why we are ww and not some regular road cyclist. I believe there is a forum for those avg. kind of cyclist and is called bikeforums

First, bikeforums is far below any average.
Second, these WW parts are expensive, the extra cost implies two things: that they are made of higher quality material and labor, and that they have been tested thoroughly.
If we are spending big money on parts just cobbled together for the sake of a low number, then that's not higher-level cycling, that's just poor consumerism.
"Pushing the envelope" and under-engineering a part are not the same thing.
Google: Results 1 - 20 of about 88,500 English pages for _doping_, _cycling_ and _denies_. (0.33 seconds)

gitsome

by gitsome

PS Is it stating the obvious to point out that using this post on a mtb is probably safer due to shock absorption by the suspension on the mtb whereas a rigid frame would not thus maybe they should specify safe for mtb but not cross.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com