Cutting a Carbon Fiber Steerer Tube

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
jmh

by jmh

Looking for recommendations on tools and technique to cut a carbon fiber steerer tube.
I need to take 1.5 cm off mine.
THanks.

cadence90

by cadence90

It's pretty simple when done with care but READ THIS CAREFULLY if this is your first time.

And remember: measure twice, cut once....
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

PS

by PS

there is a good guide to this at:

http://www.eastonbike.com/TECH_FAQ/tech_techbull.html

look at number 5 - "cutting carbon"

sharkman

by sharkman

Got the Park tool. It a superb tool, and always take the most versatile (parktool delivers a range, so you can also cut 1"an 1 1/4" tubes and Seatposts as wel
Last edited by sharkman on Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DANIELSON

by DANIELSON

Just a quick note that once you have cut the fork to the desired length, do not dress it with a file. Use some light wet/dry about 1200 grade. It stops the carbon de-laminating. Dan 8)

jmh

by jmh

Thanks for the links and tips.

Weisse Luft

by Weisse Luft

DANIELSON wrote:Just a quick note that once you have cut the fork to the desired length, do not dress it with a file. Use some light wet/dry about 1200 grade. It stops the carbon de-laminating. Dan 8)

1200? That is a bit on the fine side, depending on what blade you use. I prefer to start with 400 as it makes the process much faster. I also give the tube a slight chamfer which prevents delamination when facing the tube end. After all is done, a light coat of thinned epoxy will seal the cut end if there is any porsity.

I don't use a cutting guide on CF. I prefer to wrap the tube with masking tape, score the cut line with a razor sharp tube cutter and cut just outside of this line.

sharkman

by sharkman

tube cutters, no matter how sharp they are put pressure on the steerer. A good guidance and a special sawing blade (dedicated for carbon with as many teeth as possible) is a far better way.
Finally, especially when used in the wet: don't forget to seal the surface with nail polish or better, super glue to make sure fiber won't come loose and water won't com in.

DANIELSON

by DANIELSON

We use a regular cutting guide but use the same blades used to cut ceramic tiles. 1200 weight paper works fine.......use it every day does the trick for me.

by Weenie