HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Post subject: Hed Alps
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:01 am 

I think I'm a hair from buying a new set of Hed Alps for a pretty good price. I've searched here and there for some reviews om these wheels, but no one really has anything to say about them.

I know they are a discontinued wheelset, has a 50 mm profile, foamfilled carbon cap, weigh around 1600 grams for the set, and is clincher.

I also know that they got discontinued because of the Hed Jet's, but I can get these for $200 less, than the Jet's, and I have already stretched my budget with $200 to be able to afford the Alps; all in all I will have to extend my original budget with $400 to get the Jets.

So what are your thoughts on this wheelset? From what I've read, they actually pretty good.

Post subject: Hed Alps
Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:01 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:56 pm 

The Alps are a good wheelset. It is more or less a Hed 3's rim with spokes. A friend of mine has a pair and they are good all around wheels. If I were to get a pair, I would be sure to run "narrowish" tires to be sure to optimize their aerodynamics.

Post subject: Re: Hed Alps
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:55 pm 

Kermithimself wrote:
I know they are a discontinued wheelset

Funny Alps obsolescence notice from HED: http://www.hedcycling.com/wheels/alps.php
Quote:
Dear Alps,

You don’t know how hard it is for me to say this, but I think it is time for us to break up. We had some great times – I’ll never be able to forget your light weight and durability, and you are still super fast. You were an awesome ride but things have gotten stale. It’s not you, it’s me.

To be completely honest, ever since I met your cousin Jet I haven't been able to get her off my bike. She rides a lot like you but she is even lighter and more durable and she’s a little more aero too. You know how I like those things. It was impossible to resist her, and when I found out she has two sisters I almost fainted.

I’ll always remember you and you’ll have a place on my commuter bike for as long as you like, but the future is with Jet. Let’s stay in touch, modern engineering can work miracles sometimes – maybe we’ll get back together at a future date.

With fond rememberances, Hed Wheels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:41 pm 

I love these wheels, they're tankishly heavy next to my Reynolds DV ULs but I feel they're the way to go for flat races and crits.

whether or not they're worth stretching your budget for... is a personal decision. But in a world where everyone is making a carbon wheel I haven't been disappointed with my decision to get these wheels.

Rule #1. Superheroes Wear Tights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:26 pm 

Well, they were sold out. Too bad for me.

Might be getting a set of Jet 60's instead, for the same price. Any words of wisdom for that one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:19 pm 

I have both a set of Hed Alps and a Jet 50. I would say that the Alps are really nice but the Jet's do feel slightly stiffer, yet more comfortable. And they're also a bit lighter... but that's really nothing we at this forum care about, right? :wink:

I would really recommend the Jet's, nice wheels, seems to bombproof to me, and comfortable. Ok, not the lightest, but not bad either...

Post subject: Jet 50
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:41 pm 

I've had a pair for over a year. I use them a lot and have at least 4000 miles on them. Still roll like new and they have never needed to be trued. I'm only about 142 lbs but I have hit some pot holes.

Post subject: Jet 50
Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:41 pm