HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:03 pm 

Actually, that crash was allegedly caused by dropped bottles on guys further up, which caused the cobbles to get wet:
http://velonews.com/article/12043
But I admit I couldn't tell the Milram rider's bottles weren't Taos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:16 am 

I rarely hit a pothole. the problem is the roads are so bad it would be hard to tell where the road ended and the pothole began, or vice versa.

The other major cause - using stumps in the fill of a roadbed leads to a wonderful layer cake subsidence that works wonders with bottle ejection on descents.

Post subject:
Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:16 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:54 am 

Taos are built for tapered bottles. Use the right bottle, and they are very secure. I'm yet to find a sub 20g carbon cage that I'm happy with over the cattle-stops round here, but the taos have never dropped a bottle and I used them for 2 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:33 am 

What is the standard Nanogram the same design as the ultralite one?

Does anyone have any pictures of the standard Nanogram as I can't find any images on the web?

The Ultralite is a great looking cage but I think I would be better of with the standard version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:38 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
Look 2007+ model year bottle cage - about 24g. Has a very low guard rail which allows front or even sharlpy angled almost side loading - great for small compact frames, even with large (California Springs DuoFLow 25 oz.) bottles on the seat tube (51 cm "S" Look 585 Ultra with 6 cm slope). I have about 10000 km use on the down tube cage and about 5000 km active use (filled bottle) on the seat tube. I haven't ejected a bottle yet, despite a fair bit of riding on rough roads, including descents, although that does not include any racing down 10% cobbled descents. The bottle removal force required is so much smaller than other alloy or carbon cages I've used that it took me a couple of rides to get used to that and not slam my hand into the bottom of the top tube when removing the bottle from the downtube cage - i.e., I was initially using too much force when removing the bottle, i.e., launching my hand into the top tube, when instead a gentle pull was sufficient - not hard to control, just different than what I'd been used to the last 30 years.

And yes, I'd use the Look cages on any brand bike. I use Time pedals on a Look frame - call the brands don't match police on me. :twinkle:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:47 pm 

Just bought a Saso carbon cage off ebay, 13g with alloy screws, for ~25€.

I should have known better :roll:

I doubt it would launch a bottle... once I managed to get a bottle in, I wasn't sure I'd get it out again without tearing the cage off the frame. had to use two hands. Removing the little saw-tooth rubber bottle gripper didn't make much difference either.

Fortunately, when I tried to buy a second at the same time they were out of stock...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:46 pm 

Anymore reviews on the Speedplay cages ? I am using the Bontrager XXX cages and they are ejecting my 750ml bottles so I am looking for another brand. Hopefully something under 20 grams. Looking at these http://fairwheelbikes.com/emporelli-dol ... p-251.html
Any input would be nice.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:20 pm 

jjmstang wrote:
Looking at these http://fairwheelbikes.com/emporelli-dol ... p-251.html
Any input would be nice.
Hi, the emporelli's are expensive , but they are light and work great - never had any problem when using 800ml-bottles .
Best regards
Camelfred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:20 pm 

In my opinion, carbon cages are one of the few pieces of cycling gear where you don't always get what you pay for. You may shell out $100 per cage, and get (relatively) heavy garbage that won't hold a bottle worth a damn. You may pick up an absolute clamp that weighs less off eBay for $20.

My personal experience has been that the cheapest cages are crap, and the most expensive cages simply aren't good enough to justify the cost.

I've had good experiences with the higher-end generic stuff... Right now I'm using some BlackOps cages I got off eBay. Claimed 18g, came in at 21g and 20g respectively. Excellent holding power, smooth release and entry, and they come in a 12k finish which matches my frame. Best of all, I paid around $47 shipped for the pair.

I believe a name brand company sells them for around $70 EACH... Anyone recognize the design?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:34 pm 

Starter wrote:
Right now I'm using some BlackOps cages I got off eBay. Claimed 18g, came in at 21g and 20g respectively. Excellent holding power, smooth release and entry, and they come in a 12k finish which matches my frame. Best of all, I paid around $47 shipped for the pair.

I believe a name brand company sells them for around $70 EACH... Anyone recognize the design?

The design is close to the design of Campagnolo Record cages.

Image Image

Go to page Previous  1, 2