Used items cost about the same as new!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stephenkchang

by stephenkchang

Why is it that items posted here and sometimes even on ebay cost about the same as what it cost new? I have a frame i'm looking to build and there are some stuff i can live with buying it used, but the prices are the same as what i can get new online. Someone is selling a set of Stronglight Pulsion Crankset (sorry had to use you as an example) which I've been looking into. Brand new at http://www.bullteksports.com/ is only $399, but used is asking $390. I guess if I was selling stuff I would want the least educated consumer to buy my stuff to as close as retail.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

so why not just buy it,new at your lbs; and stop ranting about it on the sales section. if you feel your not getting a good deal then disregard it. your not selling anything so this thread should be locked :!:

stephenkchang

by stephenkchang

Relax spytech and keep your undies on. I'm just pointing out the facts. Sorry in advance if the facts piss viewers off.

spytech

by spytech

stephenkchang wrote:Relax spytech and keep your undies on. I'm just pointing out the facts. Sorry in advance if the facts piss viewers off.

yes but you made a comment on the price of my cranks, and you were wrong, they were not the same cranks, there are an older model team issue, while mine was a new superlight version. and then someone posted about the pulsion cranks and you made a comment about them being sold in another store.

do you go into every bike shop in New York City and say to everone that they could get their parts cheaper online??? even then i dont think you can find a FSA superlight crank shipped for $175

stephenkchang

by stephenkchang

So "b real" is the same person as spytech? I'm confused becuase "b real" was the ad I saw that prompted my posting. I don't think I mentioned names until now. Why do people think everything is about them and take it personally? Isn't there 2 billion users on this site? The way I look at it is if you sold your used crank for more then what you pay for them then be happy.

As for as going to by LBS and telling them price I've seen online for less. Some places will honor it. They can make up the difference in the installation. The truth is I don't say anything becuase I know it's not comparing apples with apples.

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

Wait this is a hot issue in Holland and Germany (maybe it is in other countries too)

Here we have lots of local bike stores that are pretty expensive (they sell almost everything @ MSRP)

There are some stores (like Salden, Hopmans, Walstock, Goossens, Mammoet), and German online stores that are a whole lot cheaper (sometimes 40% or so)

For example, a set of Ksyrium SL's will cost 770 euro's at you LBS...... if you sell them on marktplaats.nl after a year.... 400 or 450 would be a good price, now would it? Well, it isn't, because Salden sells the wheels new for 560......
That's how things work in Europe.....
For those who can read Dutch http://www.dirty-pages.net/yabbse/index ... adid=19861 this is an interesting topic.
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

spytech

by spytech

"B real" is someone else, i do not know this person. and i am not one to use another handle to sell something or for any other purpose (it is why i have almost 1000 post) - i have used this handle "spytech" for over a year now, and i post here often, i used him as an example because i saw this post in the sales section, where you outright attacked his sale as did mine in the thread i posted. i welcome a good deal. but your talk is just that. where is the FSA superlight crank and BB for $275 new? and whatever "b real" is selling he says is in "in perfect, unridden condition" i would consider that NEW wouldn't you. you need to read, before your so quick to post, your making a fool out of yourself.

if you went to the shop that i worked in and harrased customers that they would get it cheaper somewhere else, they would kick you out of the store. no one wants to lose a sale in a bike shop. as far as i know your talking our of your arse :!: yeah, they are going to make it up in fixing flats, tune ups or repairs; yeah sure, you keep telling yourself that.

asphaltdude wrote:For example, a set of Ksyrium SL's will cost 770 euro's at you LBS...... if you sell them on marktplaats.nl after a year.... 400 or 450 would be a good price, now would it? Well, it isn't, because Salden sells the wheels new for 560......
That's how things work in Europe.....
For those who can read Dutch http://www.dirty-pages.net/yabbse/index ... adid=19861 this is an interesting topic.

yes that is fine. i have seen my cranks for $275 plus shipping, i am selling them 35% cheaper $175. 275 is already below retail. so i was under the impression that i was giving someone a good deal. so i asked him to prove where he would find my cranks for $175 new or used shipped. because what i saw for $275 buy it now in ebay were not the same cranks, they are the 02 - 03 team issue model and not the superlight version.
Last edited by spytech on Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

I mean if you buy some new parts, you might very well choose to buy them @ LBS in order to get advice, customer support etc.
But if you buy used parts the price is the only thing that counts (you won't get any cunstomer support) so if you could buy some part new @ a cheap webstore for 400 why would you pay 370 for it when it's been used?
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

stephenkchang

by stephenkchang

Attack? wow you read that in my post? And you read that I attack you specifically out of 10 billion users?

I know the winter is dark and long.

spytech

by spytech

stephenkchang wrote:Attack? wow you read that in my post? And you read that I attack you specifically out of 10 billion users?

I know the winter is dark and long.

mr.educator, let me give you some advise finish building your bike, and ride it. attack :arrow: (i would like to see you on central park or 9w so you can give me a lesson on the bike :lol:). yes posting on the thread where i was selling my crank and saying that it could be had for $275 with a BB was an attack and by the way you were wrong, wrong for doing so there (on my thread), and wrong about getting them the same cranks i had for $275 i have asked you several times to show WHERE, and still you have not.

yes, the winter is long and dark. but i think its darker in your end, since you neglect when people write something on the thread, you twist things around to suit your needs. pulsion cranks being sold by "b real" he claims are new, and you insist/say that they are used. and can be had somewhere else.

how are you educating anyone if you DON'T READ!!!

jersievers

by jersievers

This is a long emotional debate. I would think that most online stores are going to be below retail. So I wouldn't compaire them to that.

To spytech credit I would say, it a product hasn't been used and you a selling it. Then it is NIB (new in box). You would assume it should cost less then retail if it is being resold, but market demand drives prices not common sense. If you are selling a product you sell if for as much as you can. If you are buying a product you will buy it for as little as you can. Duh.

There are few other things I consider, reputation and warrenty.

stephenkchang

by stephenkchang

No need for riding lesson becuase I won't be on the bike for a while. After buying a beautiful Ghisallo over the winter, which is still just the frame and fork. I broke my ulna about 2 months ago. That pic you see on the left is a recent pic. It was broken on 9w, I was most likely hit by a car and left of the road for dead near Alpine on 9W. No bike riding for me :(

b real

by b real

Jeez. You try to sell something.

I am trying to sell my stuff for exactly what I paid for it. The Pulsion Crans were 387 plus shipping ($20, a rip). If you don't want them, don't buy them. I know that these readers are educated, they now the value of these parts. I am not trying to rip anyone off.

I respect the members and readers of this board. Please do the same.

A personal message to me would have been answered too.

The Pulsions are in the box, with all the documentation. I call that new.

jim

by jim

b real, don't sweat it. this chang guy is one of those lamers who wants the expensive stuff but likes to pay nothing for it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Topic locked
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!