HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Sail cloth or not....
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:31 pm
Posts: 1
So, I have a D2 fit kit sitting in front of me and plan to send it back Monday but am having a hard time choosing between the pro road and the super crit (Don has assured me I can change my mind up till they actually go into production). I am a Masters A/B (cat 2) racer and excel in crits and tt's. I am going with D2's because of a 18 month long foot problem (neuromas and metatarsalgia)--long story. Of course, I want the best performance from these shoes but also want to have the most comfort/relief I can get. Anyone ride both sail cloth and non sail cloth versions? Can you tell any difference? Anyone race with the non sail cloth version? Thoughts?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Sail cloth or not....
Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:48 pm 


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:35 pm
Posts: 291
I don't race but nothing about the non-sail version makes me wish I had chosen otherwise. Matter of fact I'm glad I didn't.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:57 pm
Posts: 217
My results were mixed with D2. I received my shoes and my left foot lined up incorrectly in the shoe, angled toes outward. You could see the differing imprint my foot left on the orthotic compared to my right. This made two of my toes constantly flexed upward when riding. This was rather an odd feeling.

D2 did make me a new orthotic but the results were the same. I believe the left shoe was made slightly wrong which angled my foot outward when inserted into the shoe, regardless of the orthotic.

After talking to the guys at D2 and feeling they didn't take my problem seriously, I opted for Shimano R300s and esoles. I haven't looked back.

I love the idea of the D2 shoes but I think the crushbox and foot tracing leads something to be desired.

The quality of the shoes was second to none though and I regret not being able to make them work.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:35 pm
Posts: 291
The quality of the shoe fit is highly dependent on the quality of the measurements you give them. It would be great if they had trained personnel in local shops to perform measurements for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:41 pm
Posts: 1512
Location: Tenerife, Spain ||| Sydney, Australia
Dubbayoo wrote:
It would be great if they had trained personnel in local shops to perform measurements for you.


I don't think that's going to happen... :(

_________________
Vertebrae. Precision braking and shifting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 10:03 pm
Posts: 779
Location: Back in the saddle...
synchronicity wrote:
Dubbayoo wrote:
It would be great if they had trained personnel in local shops to perform measurements for you.


I don't think that's going to happen... :(


Starting to happen... Michael at Third Nature in NJ went to Colorado to be trained by Dan and Don, now he does fit kits in his shop. I'm sure other LBS will follow suit. Mine should arrive tomorrow (fingers crossed) so I'm hoping the fit is everything I expect.

_________________
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: How snug
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:28 pm
Posts: 948
How tight do your D2 fit in terms of width/girth? I just got mine back from being resized- they took 12mm out of the girth.
Should they be super snug? Thinking that the synthetic leather will stretch and cnform a bit or just average? Do the shoes stretch (and if they are not tight enough initially will they end up loose?)
I generally like my shoes snug, or at least I have been wearing snug shoes. I am used to something like a Shimano shoe where you can crank it down so hard that you bruise your feet.
I am also not used to a shoe where I can spread my toes out- maybe that is what I am feeling.
Please chime in with input/experiences.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How snug
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:35 pm
Posts: 291
boots2000 wrote:
How tight do your D2 fit in terms of width/girth? I just got mine back from being resized- they took 12mm out of the girth.
Should they be super snug? Thinking that the synthetic leather will stretch and cnform a bit or just average? Do the shoes stretch (and if they are not tight enough initially will they end up loose?)
I generally like my shoes snug, or at least I have been wearing snug shoes. I am used to something like a Shimano shoe where you can crank it down so hard that you bruise your feet.
I am also not used to a shoe where I can spread my toes out- maybe that is what I am feeling.
Please chime in with input/experiences.

If they were able to take out 12mm your measurements were off initially. I was concerned they'd make the shoes too tight so I added 1-2 mm to some measurements. Good thing I did. I certainly don't have much wiggle room in my shoes. No way I could fit into them any tighter. I'm not sure if synthetic leather still stretches, maybe some. My shoes literally fit like socks, full contact all around.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How snug
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:28 pm
Posts: 948
I think they actually need to come down 1 more width.
No they are not tight enough- unless I crank them down super tight- then they are tight enough- but not comfortable.

Dubbayoo wrote:
boots2000 wrote:
How tight do your D2 fit in terms of width/girth? I just got mine back from being resized- they took 12mm out of the girth.
Should they be super snug? Thinking that the synthetic leather will stretch and cnform a bit or just average? Do the shoes stretch (and if they are not tight enough initially will they end up loose?)
I generally like my shoes snug, or at least I have been wearing snug shoes. I am used to something like a Shimano shoe where you can crank it down so hard that you bruise your feet.
I am also not used to a shoe where I can spread my toes out- maybe that is what I am feeling.
Please chime in with input/experiences.

If they were able to take out 12mm your measurements were off initially. I was concerned they'd make the shoes too tight so I added 1-2 mm to some measurements. Good thing I did. I certainly don't have much wiggle room in my shoes. No way I could fit into them any tighter. I'm not sure if synthetic leather still stretches, maybe some. My shoes literally fit like socks, full contact all around.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How snug
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:28 pm
Posts: 948
Do you have the soft toe box or rigid? Mine has a soft toe box and it has creases in the leather and also a fold in the left mesh- this is not acceptable to me either


Dubbayoo wrote:
boots2000 wrote:
How tight do your D2 fit in terms of width/girth? I just got mine back from being resized- they took 12mm out of the girth.
Should they be super snug? Thinking that the synthetic leather will stretch and cnform a bit or just average? Do the shoes stretch (and if they are not tight enough initially will they end up loose?)
I generally like my shoes snug, or at least I have been wearing snug shoes. I am used to something like a Shimano shoe where you can crank it down so hard that you bruise your feet.
I am also not used to a shoe where I can spread my toes out- maybe that is what I am feeling.
Please chime in with input/experiences.

If they were able to take out 12mm your measurements were off initially. I was concerned they'd make the shoes too tight so I added 1-2 mm to some measurements. Good thing I did. I certainly don't have much wiggle room in my shoes. No way I could fit into them any tighter. I'm not sure if synthetic leather still stretches, maybe some. My shoes literally fit like socks, full contact all around.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 10:03 pm
Posts: 779
Location: Back in the saddle...
Interesting about the toe box. I just received mine today and my initial impressions are very good. Incredibly stiff, yet very comfortable.

Concerning the toe box, though, I too have a crease that seems a bit out of place. Took them out for a quick 20 miles and had to stop once to adjust cleat placement, but otherwise they seemed to melt away. As I said, great power transfer to the pedals because they are soooo stiff. I had been using Sidi Ergo2 for quite some time now, and the D2's are stiffer by a mile. It seemed the tighter I could get them, the better they felt. What seems odd, however, is it looks like there's too much room in the toe, because of the crease, but they feel fine. I'll ride them some more and see.

Ultimately, how they feel is what is most important to me. So far, looks like I made a good choice. With the Sidi, I always had some movement in the shoe, and if I cranked them down tight enough to eliminate it, my feet would start to really hurt. The D2s (remember, 1st ride, 1st impression) give me the sense my foot is "one" with the shoe.


Attachments:
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg [ 151.44 KiB | Viewed 284 times ]
pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg [ 154.98 KiB | Viewed 298 times ]

_________________
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:28 pm
Posts: 948
You have the soft toe box as well. Look at all the shoes on their site- they all have a semi-rigid toe box with more shape to it

boysa wrote:
Interesting about the toe box. I just received mine today and my initial impressions are very good. Incredibly stiff, yet very comfortable.

Concerning the toe box, though, I too have a crease that seems a bit out of place. Took them out for a quick 20 miles and had to stop once to adjust cleat placement, but otherwise they seemed to melt away. As I said, great power transfer to the pedals because they are soooo stiff. I had been using Sidi Ergo2 for quite some time now, and the D2's are stiffer by a mile. It seemed the tighter I could get them, the better they felt. What seems odd, however, is it looks like there's too much room in the toe, because of the crease, but they feel fine. I'll ride them some more and see.

Ultimately, how they feel is what is most important to me. So far, looks like I made a good choice. With the Sidi, I always had some movement in the shoe, and if I cranked them down tight enough to eliminate it, my feet would start to really hurt. The D2s (remember, 1st ride, 1st impression) give me the sense my foot is "one" with the shoe.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:35 pm
Posts: 291
I think that's just the pictures. I don't believe there is a rigid toe box version. I guess mine do have a TINY crease but I chalked that up to trying to make a flat piece of material fit a round shape. It doesn't bother me at all.

Nice color scheme on those shoes!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:28 pm
Posts: 948
Don said they have rigid and soft. My crease is more than tiny.

Dubbayoo wrote:
I think that's just the pictures. I don't believe there is a rigid toe box version. I guess mine do have a TINY crease but I chalked that up to trying to make a flat piece of material fit a round shape. It doesn't bother me at all.

Nice color scheme on those shoes!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:05 am 


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 10:03 pm
Posts: 779
Location: Back in the saddle...
boots2000 wrote:
Don said they have rigid and soft. My crease is more than tiny.

Dubbayoo wrote:
I think that's just the pictures. I don't believe there is a rigid toe box version. I guess mine do have a TINY crease but I chalked that up to trying to make a flat piece of material fit a round shape. It doesn't bother me at all.

Nice color scheme on those shoes!


Thanks Dubbayoo... I'm really happy with how they turned out. Believe me, I must have changed my mind about color combos a hundred times!

The front is almost "slipper-like," but frankly it feels great. All my toes are right up to the front of the shoe, so I'm not sure what causes the crease. There's really no room in the shoe. They definitely fit like a glove, or actually, like a sock. Took them out again today (helped that it was 85 degrees/29 degrees here in Monterey) and felt solid. Don said to give them 100 miles, but I figure to give them closer to 200 or so before I see if any adjustment is necessary. The one thing I'm playing with now is cleat placement and if a saddle adjustment is necessary. Has anyone else had to make a change?

Boots2000... can you post a pic of the crease in your shoe? I'm curious to see if we're comparing apples and apples here.

_________________
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], BdaGhisallo, Bing [Bot], jb, silver and 51 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Help me pick a new bike? Dogma f8?

[ Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4 ]

in Road

joseph42s

48

3015

Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:47 am

joseph42s View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. How should my shoes fit?

in Road

random101

3

610

Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:19 am

random101 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. old fizik shoes vs new

in Road

ninjanoir78

1

557

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:40 pm

TimmS View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Lightweight, functional and value shoes?

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

Milese

22

1464

Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:03 pm

micky View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Specialized Shoes - Discoloring

in Road

rijndael

13

839

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:26 am

rijndael View the latest post


It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:07 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB