My trip to pick up D2 Custom Shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dubbayoo

by Dubbayoo

boots2000 wrote:Recreational? They told me that the shoes like yours are what they now call the pro road- THey say that your shoe conform more than the one with the kevlar- and it is actually what they suggest for hard to fit feet.
Tjey claim that it has all the performance of the one with the kevlar.

I was going by memory of what they called it. I could be wrong. Regardless, your description of my shoe is correct...more conforming.

I had my pedals adjusted via RAD kit a few weeks ago. The shoes are near perfect. The left insole is not quite as form-fitting as the right (which is PERFECT) so I may have that shoe remolded. I'm just waiting to see if the shoes will stretch before I have anything changed.

I will say the shoes are definitely made to fit your FEET, so thick socks will be a problem. You might even add 1-2mm to your measurements to allow for sock thickness.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Dubbayoo wrote:I will say the shoes are definitely made to fit your FEET, so thick socks will be a problem. You might even add 1-2mm to your measurements to allow for sock thickness.

Give them accurate measurements of your feet and just tell them what kind/thickness of socks you want to wear.

bravo106

by bravo106

Dubbayoo wrote:I was going by memory of what they called it. I could be wrong. Regardless, your description of my shoe is correct...more conforming.

I was on D2's website just last night, and it looks like they've redone their website since I bought my pair this past summer. The "recreational" model is now called the Pro Road Custom. The "elite" model is now called the Super Crit Custom (price depends on the type of insole). They also are now offering an "off the shelf" road shoe called the Super Crit Standard Version.

So your reply was really not wrong, just a little behind the times. :wink:

boots2000

by boots2000

It got even more cunfusing for me- I started my order as they updated their website. I thought I ordered the pro road with kevlar- they made my shoes without the kevlar. I have really bony, hyper mobile feet of 2 different sizes. Bags of bones as Don called them. He said the shoes without kevlar would conform to my feet better than the kevlar ones.
I guess I will find out. If he feels good about it, I gues that I should too.

bravo106 wrote:
Dubbayoo wrote:I was going by memory of what they called it. I could be wrong. Regardless, your description of my shoe is correct...more conforming.

I was on D2's website just last night, and it looks like they've redone their website since I bought my pair this past summer. The "recreational" model is now called the Pro Road Custom. The "elite" model is now called the Super Crit Custom (price depends on the type of insole). They also are now offering an "off the shelf" road shoe called the Super Crit Standard Version.

So your reply was really not wrong, just a little behind the times. :wink:

bravo106

by bravo106

boots2000 wrote: ... I thought I ordered the pro road with kevlar- they made my shoes without the kevlar. ... He said the shoes without kevlar would conform to my feet better than the kevlar ones.

Yep, I did the same thing you did. When I got them, they were so comfortable, I didn't really care. The sail cloth/kevlar doesn't stretch, but the uppers you (& I) have are a softer, more comfortable leather that will feel better against the foot. Of course, the reason I was checking their website is I may get a 2nd pair soon. Those will be the higher-up Super Crit model. :D

Dubbayoo

by Dubbayoo

I never ever ever ride outside without socks but I will say the shoes are so comfortable without socks that I've started going without for indoor trainer sessions. I just don't want my good shoes to get all malodorous. ;)

boots2000

by boots2000

I may consider a 2nd pair as well. Especially if they fit as well as people say. Can't only have 1 pair if something goes wrong, crash, etc.
One of my friends liked his so much that he turnaed around and immediately ordered an MTB pair.

bravo106 wrote:
boots2000 wrote: ... I thought I ordered the pro road with kevlar- they made my shoes without the kevlar. ... He said the shoes without kevlar would conform to my feet better than the kevlar ones.

Yep, I did the same thing you did. When I got them, they were so comfortable, I didn't really care. The sail cloth/kevlar doesn't stretch, but the uppers you (& I) have are a softer, more comfortable leather that will feel better against the foot. Of course, the reason I was checking their website is I may get a 2nd pair soon. Those will be the higher-up Super Crit model. :D

nolimit
Resident Pro

by nolimit

I would just like to add my own experience. I was on Navigators last year and I switched mid season to D2s after wearing the team shoes, and they were perfect right away. I tested them out on a climb in Boulder and I was actually putting out more power. They seemed way stiffer than any thing else I've ridden. Now on Health Net, I again rode D2's. And again awesome.

Matt Cooke
Attachments
TTwarmupMt.Hood.jpg

boots2000

by boots2000

Just recieved my shoes today. The upper seems like it mimics the shape of my foot. Duh?!
Question: Do your D2 shoes have less toe length room that a regular shoe? Mine do. For one, I have 2 different size feet so this is the first time my small foot has had a shoe of the correct length. I am guessing the other reasons that it can be close is that the toe box shape is the same as the shape of my toes and also because the material in front is softer unlike say a Shimano shoe.
I look forward to getting them on the road!

merobin

by merobin

Colocilmber,
I'm glad to hear of your positive experience with D2.

Mine experience differed. I had several phone and email conversations with D2 to let them know I had a very low volume foot. I was assured that they could handle that issue. I had to send my shoes back 3 times (at my expense) to try and get them to fit. Dan and Don were very pleasant about it, but I finally gave up. After spending approximately $700 for a pair of shoes, I had to put my own heat moldable insoles into the shoes because I got plantar fasciitis from their insoles and cleat drilling. I had to use speedplay extender plates to get the cleats far enough back because they convinced me that their "method" for hole placement would work. I was pedaling with my toes, with the most rearward cleat placement until I put the extenders on the speedplays.

The volume of the shoes is still too large and my toes get sore from jamming the ends of the shoes because the shoes are still too short after 3 adjustments. I still ride them and have put 15,000 miles on them. I couldn't ride for more than 30 minutes until I modified them myself.

I recommend going to their shop for the fitting. My crush box by mail experience was an expensive mistake.

They are sturdy shoes, otherwise I would be in something else by now. I just can't wear them out.

Dubbayoo

by Dubbayoo

boots2000 wrote:Just recieved my shoes today. The upper seems like it mimics the shape of my foot. Duh?!
Question: Do your D2 shoes have less toe length room that a regular shoe? Mine do. For one, I have 2 different size feet so this is the first time my small foot has had a shoe of the correct length. I am guessing the other reasons that it can be close is that the toe box shape is the same as the shape of my toes and also because the material in front is softer unlike say a Shimano shoe.
I look forward to getting them on the road!

Mine are pretty close. I think most people are just accustomed to oversize shoes. My mom always made sure I could wiggle my toes in new shoes and I suppose I never forgot that.

When I did my D2 measurements I set the heel down first, wiggled the toes then put the foot down so my feet would be fully stretched before measuring.

boots2000

by boots2000

How snug should a new pair of D2 shoes feel? I just jumped on the trainer to adjust my cleats- did not seem crazy tight thought the shape is good. Am I just used to shimano shoes that I can totally crush my feet with the buckles?
Probably just need to give them a couple rides?

coloclimber

by coloclimber

nolimit Good to hear your climbs up my lunchtime favorites- Flagstaff or Sunshine - have improved with the shoes- If only they worked that well for my fat butt.

merobin sorry to hear. I did have the benefit of being fit when I picked them up. They were snug and were heated and stretched a bit before I left D2. The right is still snug bordering on tight in length but I cope since i dont want to be without the shoes for any period of time :) I was also concerned about the cleat placement. Don did the laser alignment with me and it was very slightly altered during my Retul fit. The holes were drilled fine. But the best part of custom is that you can tell them where you want the cleats drilled!

boots2000- I would say the entire shoe is so snug that I hardly need any pressure when tightening the 3 velcro straps. They should be pretty snug in length too. Varying the sock thickness matters and I dont think I will be able to use my wool cycling socks for winter training. But its cold enough here that I have winter specific cycling shoes.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

boots2000

by boots2000

Colo- I will ride them today and decide if they need to be tighter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

Mine need to be way tighter from the ball of the foot back. Heel cups- especially left need to be tighter.