My trip to pick up D2 Custom Shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ant

by Ant

I'd really like a pair.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

is the sole thinner than your Sidis? Di you have to lower your saddle?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mathi

by mathi

Are they available in the UK ?

Ant

by Ant

No, the fit kits are only sent out to US or Canada from what I can find out.

Rocket7 are available in London http://www.rocket7.com/

andik

by andik

Ant wrote:No, the fit kits are only sent out to US or Canada from what I can find out.

Rocket7 are available in London http://www.rocket7.com/

@Ant: are the shoes really available in london? which shop? where?

thanks, best regards Andi

Ant

by Ant

http://www.cyclefit.co.uk/

I saw them when I was in there. They are kind of funny looking but serious shoes.

NOTAWOFTAM

by NOTAWOFTAM

Excellent post.

I had a similar experience. Picked my shoes up while vacationing with friends in CO. The guys at D2 did a very professional job setting up my cleats and adjusting via the laser and my bike set up on the trainer.

My first ride in the shoes was up Mt. Evans, starting from Idaho Springs. It was a beautiful day and a nice long climb. The shoes were comfortable from the start and have only gotten a bit better.

I'm from the east coast. You don't have to pick them up in Eagle, but if you can, it's worth the trip. Glad I did. Your experience was excellent, but not unique. D2 treat their customers well.

Qstick333

by Qstick333

Did you guys let D2 position the cleats in their recommended place or did you use your current cleat placement. My D2's are supposedly coming next week, and although i had the holes drilled using their recommendation, I am a bit worried about the change. It is about 8mm towards the rear compared to where I had the cleats located. I should admit though, I have had a few calf related cramps previously, so this might be a great thing.

Thanks,

Zach

bravo106

by bravo106

I've had mine for about a month now, and I can't say enough good things about them. I've been on rides between 30-70 miles, and I haven't had any numbness or hot spots anywhere. They're light, and the Pro Elite model are lighter still. I really don't have to cinch the velcro straps down to take up any slack around my foot because there isn't any. I just fasten them lightly and they're good to go.

I called them back a few weeks ago inquiring about a 2nd order. They said they keep the fit kits indefinitely, so all I'd have to do is choose the color combo & model.

Sidi Ergo 2's are now about 5 bills. For just a c-note more, you get a precise fit. Add in the cost of a better insole, which the D2 already comes with, and the total outlay is comparable.

Oh, and Qstick, I'm using their recommended cleat placement.

Qstick333

by Qstick333

BRavo -

Thanks -, according to Fedex tracking, they should arrive Wed. How did their recommended placement vary from what you were using and did it require saddle or other changes to accommodate?

Thanks again - glad to hear you are so happy,

Zach

Anaszi

by Anaszi

Still thinking about getting a pair, but the fibre on the side is SO ugly.

What other (maybe Europe based?) custom cycling shoe makers are there?

Dubbayoo

by Dubbayoo

Anaszi wrote:Still thinking about getting a pair, but the fibre on the side is SO ugly.

The 'fibre' is actually sail cloth, used because it is extremely tough and resistant to stretching during a hard sprint or out of saddle climb. Although their website doesn't reflect it that is now an option on the road shoes. The Pro shoes still use that so they're recommended for racers.

The Recreational shoes, which I just received, do not have it. They are supposed to conform to the foot more and be more comfortable.

You can tell here, by looking at the red leather in the center, my feet are different lengths. The left shoe was made 4mm longer. I had not given it much though until D2 mentioned it.

Last edited by Dubbayoo on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taz

by Taz

Anaszi wrote:What other (maybe Europe based?) custom cycling shoe makers are there?

This a French company: http://sierra.shoes.free.fr/Page1.htm
Here you can see some examples http://www.julmtb.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... es&start=0

boots2000

by boots2000

Recreational? They told me that the shoes like yours are what they now call the pro road- THey say that your shoe conform more than the one with the kevlar- and it is actually what they suggest for hard to fit feet.
Tjey claim that it has all the performance of the one with the kevlar.

Dubbayoo wrote:
Anaszi wrote:Still thinking about getting a pair, but the fibre on the side is SO ugly.

The 'fibre' is actually sail cloth, used because it is extremely tough and resistant to stretching during a hard sprint or out of saddle climb. Although their website doesn't reflect it that is now an option on the road shoes. The Pro shoes still use that so they're recommended for racers.

The Recreational shoes, which I just received, do not have it. They are supposed to conform to the foot more and be more comfortable.

You can tell here, by looking at the red leather in the center, my feet are different lengths. The left shoe was made 4mm longer. I had not given it much though until D2 mentioned it.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

520 Dan wrote:is the sole thinner than your Sidis? Di you have to lower your saddle?

Yes almost 1 cm since I switched to lower stack height pedals and thinner soled shoe. It also helped me drop a HS spacer :)

The fiber is actually gorgeous in person. Pics dont do the sole justice.

Also, in the spirit of WW-ness, I removed the front red walking pads and screws since the speedplay cleats are what contact the ground when I stand not the pads (which are replaceable).

The Red/White look nice!
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com