My trip to pick up D2 Custom Shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dubbayoo

by Dubbayoo

boysa wrote:
The front is almost "slipper-like," but frankly it feels great. All my toes are right up to the front of the shoe, so I'm not sure what causes the crease. There's really no room in the shoe. They definitely fit like a glove, or actually, like a sock. Took them out again today (helped that it was 85 degrees/29 degrees here in Monterey) and felt solid. Don said to give them 100 miles, but I figure to give them closer to 200 or so before I see if any adjustment is necessary. The one thing I'm playing with now is cleat placement and if a saddle adjustment is necessary. Has anyone else had to make a change?

I thought about lowering the saddle to accommodate the thinner sole. However I am also switching to a crankset that is 5mm shorter so that will cancel it out.

boots2000

by boots2000

I will post some pics later tonight.
I rode about 300 miles in mine over the past few days. I like them but they still need to come down a width. I have to tighten down the straps pretty good, and I notice things like when I clip out that it takes more of a twist because the shoe gives.
Nice color combo on yours- A little old school Jeff Spicoli.

boysa wrote:
boots2000 wrote:Don said they have rigid and soft. My crease is more than tiny.

Dubbayoo wrote:I think that's just the pictures. I don't believe there is a rigid toe box version. I guess mine do have a TINY crease but I chalked that up to trying to make a flat piece of material fit a round shape. It doesn't bother me at all.

Nice color scheme on those shoes!

Thanks Dubbayoo... I'm really happy with how they turned out. Believe me, I must have changed my mind about color combos a hundred times!

The front is almost "slipper-like," but frankly it feels great. All my toes are right up to the front of the shoe, so I'm not sure what causes the crease. There's really no room in the shoe. They definitely fit like a glove, or actually, like a sock. Took them out again today (helped that it was 85 degrees/29 degrees here in Monterey) and felt solid. Don said to give them 100 miles, but I figure to give them closer to 200 or so before I see if any adjustment is necessary. The one thing I'm playing with now is cleat placement and if a saddle adjustment is necessary. Has anyone else had to make a change?

Boots2000... can you post a pic of the crease in your shoe? I'm curious to see if we're comparing apples and apples here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

boots2000 wrote:I will post some pics later tonight.
I rode about 300 miles in mine over the past few days. I like them but they still need to come down a width. I have to tighten down the straps pretty good, and I notice things like when I clip out that it takes more of a twist because the shoe gives.
Nice color combo on yours- A little old school Jeff Spicoli.
[/quote]

Good call on the "Spicoli." I hadn't even thought of that!

Sorry you are having so many issues. Hit the 100 mile mark today on ride #3 (I HATE work and I HATE daylight savings time) and it was the best ride yet. First ride, probably some placebo effect there, they felt awesome... yesterday, some issues here and there... today fantastic. I got about halfway through the ride, stopped and tightened straps, and the rest of the ride it was like they weren't even there. I've worn them with two different socks, and I think that may have caused the issues yesterday. Same socks first and third ride, both with great success. Socks I had on yesterday didn't feel as comfortable. All three are very thin, however.

Definitely shouldn't be any "play" inside the shoes. When I crank my straps down the shoe seems to mold right around my foot. Hope you get it worked out ASAP.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Dubbayoo

by Dubbayoo

I have noticed the shoes are much comfortable riding than they are just standing around in them. They feel tight across the top at the toe joints but once I'm riding the shoes totally disappear from thought. It feels like walking around my apt in sock feet.

boysa

by boysa

Dubbayoo wrote:I have noticed the shoes are much comfortable riding than they are just standing around in them. They feel tight across the top at the toe joints but once I'm riding the shoes totally disappear from thought. It feels like walking around my apt in sock feet.

Spot on. While standing, it seems my feet are being contorted... especially the right arch. Once riding, however, all that goes away. Long group ride tomorrow, so it'll be the first real test.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

boots2000

by boots2000

I just got mine back from adjustments. They seem to be tight enough now. I finally know what you guys are talking about when you say that your shoes are snug and form fitting without having to pull the velcro super tight. I have plenty of training scheduled this weekend so they will get a good test.

skinnyClimberBoy

by skinnyClimberBoy

interesting that a slipstream rider ( i presume its one of theirs , instead of a mere poser)would have the shoe without the sailcloth. i geuss theres not a big diff? someone care to inform me?

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Someone was asking me about my shoes the other day since my feet are such different lengths so I thought of this thread for revival.
Since 2008 I have ridden exclusivity on one pair of D2s. I have brought them in to Don twice now to get the soles re-glued and little rubber pads replaced. They are still going strong since 2008 with ~3000 miles each year.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

pritchet74

by pritchet74

That's awesome. Makes me want a pair....
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

KarlC

by KarlC

Bringing back this older one.....

Just got a set of these for dirt cheep off of ebay, they fit well at first try, we will see how they do on a ride.....

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12