My trip to pick up D2 Custom Shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

makarios

by makarios

So, I have a D2 fit kit sitting in front of me and plan to send it back Monday but am having a hard time choosing between the pro road and the super crit (Don has assured me I can change my mind up till they actually go into production). I am a Masters A/B (cat 2) racer and excel in crits and tt's. I am going with D2's because of a 18 month long foot problem (neuromas and metatarsalgia)--long story. Of course, I want the best performance from these shoes but also want to have the most comfort/relief I can get. Anyone ride both sail cloth and non sail cloth versions? Can you tell any difference? Anyone race with the non sail cloth version? Thoughts?

Dubbayoo

by Dubbayoo

I don't race but nothing about the non-sail version makes me wish I had chosen otherwise. Matter of fact I'm glad I didn't.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

My results were mixed with D2. I received my shoes and my left foot lined up incorrectly in the shoe, angled toes outward. You could see the differing imprint my foot left on the orthotic compared to my right. This made two of my toes constantly flexed upward when riding. This was rather an odd feeling.

D2 did make me a new orthotic but the results were the same. I believe the left shoe was made slightly wrong which angled my foot outward when inserted into the shoe, regardless of the orthotic.

After talking to the guys at D2 and feeling they didn't take my problem seriously, I opted for Shimano R300s and esoles. I haven't looked back.

I love the idea of the D2 shoes but I think the crushbox and foot tracing leads something to be desired.

The quality of the shoes was second to none though and I regret not being able to make them work.

Dubbayoo

by Dubbayoo

The quality of the shoe fit is highly dependent on the quality of the measurements you give them. It would be great if they had trained personnel in local shops to perform measurements for you.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Dubbayoo wrote:It would be great if they had trained personnel in local shops to perform measurements for you.

I don't think that's going to happen... :(
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

boysa

by boysa

synchronicity wrote:
Dubbayoo wrote:It would be great if they had trained personnel in local shops to perform measurements for you.

I don't think that's going to happen... :(

Starting to happen... Michael at Third Nature in NJ went to Colorado to be trained by Dan and Don, now he does fit kits in his shop. I'm sure other LBS will follow suit. Mine should arrive tomorrow (fingers crossed) so I'm hoping the fit is everything I expect.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

boots2000

by boots2000

How tight do your D2 fit in terms of width/girth? I just got mine back from being resized- they took 12mm out of the girth.
Should they be super snug? Thinking that the synthetic leather will stretch and cnform a bit or just average? Do the shoes stretch (and if they are not tight enough initially will they end up loose?)
I generally like my shoes snug, or at least I have been wearing snug shoes. I am used to something like a Shimano shoe where you can crank it down so hard that you bruise your feet.
I am also not used to a shoe where I can spread my toes out- maybe that is what I am feeling.
Please chime in with input/experiences.

Dubbayoo

by Dubbayoo

boots2000 wrote:How tight do your D2 fit in terms of width/girth? I just got mine back from being resized- they took 12mm out of the girth.
Should they be super snug? Thinking that the synthetic leather will stretch and cnform a bit or just average? Do the shoes stretch (and if they are not tight enough initially will they end up loose?)
I generally like my shoes snug, or at least I have been wearing snug shoes. I am used to something like a Shimano shoe where you can crank it down so hard that you bruise your feet.
I am also not used to a shoe where I can spread my toes out- maybe that is what I am feeling.

If they were able to take out 12mm your measurements were off initially. I was concerned they'd make the shoes too tight so I added 1-2 mm to some measurements. Good thing I did. I certainly don't have much wiggle room in my shoes. No way I could fit into them any tighter. I'm not sure if synthetic leather still stretches, maybe some. My shoes literally fit like socks, full contact all around.

boots2000

by boots2000

I think they actually need to come down 1 more width.
No they are not tight enough- unless I crank them down super tight- then they are tight enough- but not comfortable.

Dubbayoo wrote:
boots2000 wrote:How tight do your D2 fit in terms of width/girth? I just got mine back from being resized- they took 12mm out of the girth.

If they were able to take out 12mm your measurements were off initially. I was concerned they'd make the shoes too tight so I added 1-2 mm to some measurements. Good thing I did. I certainly don't have much wiggle room in my shoes. No way I could fit into them any tighter. I'm not sure if synthetic leather still stretches, maybe some. My shoes literally fit like socks, full contact all around.

boots2000

by boots2000

Do you have the soft toe box or rigid? Mine has a soft toe box and it has creases in the leather and also a fold in the left mesh- this is not acceptable to me either

Dubbayoo wrote:

boysa

by boysa

Interesting about the toe box. I just received mine today and my initial impressions are very good. Incredibly stiff, yet very comfortable.

Concerning the toe box, though, I too have a crease that seems a bit out of place. Took them out for a quick 20 miles and had to stop once to adjust cleat placement, but otherwise they seemed to melt away. As I said, great power transfer to the pedals because they are soooo stiff. I had been using Sidi Ergo2 for quite some time now, and the D2's are stiffer by a mile. It seemed the tighter I could get them, the better they felt. What seems odd, however, is it looks like there's too much room in the toe, because of the crease, but they feel fine. I'll ride them some more and see.

Ultimately, how they feel is what is most important to me. So far, looks like I made a good choice. With the Sidi, I always had some movement in the shoe, and if I cranked them down tight enough to eliminate it, my feet would start to really hurt. The D2s (remember, 1st ride, 1st impression) give me the sense my foot is "one" with the shoe.
Attachments
pic2.jpg
pic1.jpg

boots2000

by boots2000

You have the soft toe box as well. Look at all the shoes on their site- they all have a semi-rigid toe box with more shape to it

boysa wrote:Interesting about the toe box. I just received mine today and my initial impressions are very good. Incredibly stiff, yet very comfortable.

Concerning the toe box, though, I too have a crease that seems a bit out of place. Took them out for a quick 20 miles and had to stop once to adjust cleat placement, but otherwise they seemed to melt away. As I said, great power transfer to the pedals because they are soooo stiff. I had been using Sidi Ergo2 for quite some time now, and the D2's are stiffer by a mile. It seemed the tighter I could get them, the better they felt. What seems odd, however, is it looks like there's too much room in the toe, because of the crease, but they feel fine. I'll ride them some more and see.

Ultimately, how they feel is what is most important to me. So far, looks like I made a good choice. With the Sidi, I always had some movement in the shoe, and if I cranked them down tight enough to eliminate it, my feet would start to really hurt. The D2s (remember, 1st ride, 1st impression) give me the sense my foot is "one" with the shoe.

Dubbayoo

by Dubbayoo

I think that's just the pictures. I don't believe there is a rigid toe box version. I guess mine do have a TINY crease but I chalked that up to trying to make a flat piece of material fit a round shape. It doesn't bother me at all.

Nice color scheme on those shoes!

boots2000

by boots2000

Don said they have rigid and soft. My crease is more than tiny.

Dubbayoo wrote:I think that's just the pictures. I don't believe there is a rigid toe box version. I guess mine do have a TINY crease but I chalked that up to trying to make a flat piece of material fit a round shape. It doesn't bother me at all.

boysa

by boysa

boots2000 wrote:Don said they have rigid and soft. My crease is more than tiny.

Dubbayoo wrote:I think that's just the pictures. I don't believe there is a rigid toe box version. I guess mine do have a TINY crease but I chalked that up to trying to make a flat piece of material fit a round shape. It doesn't bother me at all.

Thanks Dubbayoo... I'm really happy with how they turned out. Believe me, I must have changed my mind about color combos a hundred times!

The front is almost "slipper-like," but frankly it feels great. All my toes are right up to the front of the shoe, so I'm not sure what causes the crease. There's really no room in the shoe. They definitely fit like a glove, or actually, like a sock. Took them out again today (helped that it was 85 degrees/29 degrees here in Monterey) and felt solid. Don said to give them 100 miles, but I figure to give them closer to 200 or so before I see if any adjustment is necessary. The one thing I'm playing with now is cleat placement and if a saddle adjustment is necessary. Has anyone else had to make a change?

Boots2000... can you post a pic of the crease in your shoe? I'm curious to see if we're comparing apples and apples here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com