Tubulars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

http://www.distri-cycle.fr/ proposes the corsa CX at 34€, http://www.sergedutouron.com proposes them at 33€, 32€ for one if you buy 10 at one time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rossconi

by rossconi

After seeing this topic on tubs, I was wondering if you guys could help me out on a question.
I am pretty new to tubs as I've I used clinchers over all the years. I bit the Lightweigt bug however :twisted: . So now I have mounted Deda's new tubs front and rear. The problem revolves around loss of air. After a few days the front drops downd 20-30psi more than the rear, I was just wondering if this a problem or not?

mises

by mises

rossconi wrote:After seeing this topic on tubs, I was wondering if you guys could help me out on a question.
I am pretty new to tubs as I've I used clinchers over all the years. I bit the Lightweigt bug however :twisted: . So now I have mounted Deda's new tubs front and rear. The problem revolves around loss of air. After a few days the front drops downd 20-30psi more than the rear, I was just wondering if this a problem or not?

Check the valve to make sure it is screwed in tight enough. That's the only way I remember ever having one lose more air than the other. I assume you are using valve extenders on the lightweights and if you aren't using Tufo or similar design those can cause air loss problems too.

marko

by marko

rossconi,

If those tubulars have latex tubes, they will deflate like that and that's just the way they are.

Rickyfirst

by Rickyfirst

marko wrote:rossconi,

If those tubulars have latex tubes, they will deflate like that and that's just the way they are.

Do you know if Vittoria corsa CX have latex tubes ?

Joel

by Joel

Vittoria have latex tubes, Dugast too and many other tubes. Continental not. The only disadvantage on latex tubes is that you have to inflate them every day. Also check if the valve is screwed tight as Mises mentioned.

Michiel

by Michiel

In a test of Tour magazine last year it became clear that many latex tubulars loose air more than Joel says.
They measured a loss of 2-3 bars in only 4-6 hours!! And if you want to ride a roadmarathon or whatever I beleive that is way to much!! I don't have the test anymore, but it is the same issue where they explained mounting tubular tires.

rossconi

by rossconi

Cool guys, thanks for the tip. I reckon it's to do with the valve, I am using Continental valve extenders on both. I'll check to see their on tight enough.

Rickyfirst

by Rickyfirst

Joel wrote:Vittoria have latex tubes, Dugast too and many other tubes. Continental not. The only disadvantage on latex tubes is that you have to inflate them every day. Also check if the valve is screwed tight as Mises mentioned.

Thanks for the answer. Mean that I haven't to check my valve extenders :lol: .

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Mavic Cosmic Carbones in Tub are claimed to be only 50g lighter than the clincher version, which makes me wonder if it is worth going tubular.

http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/road-prod_fiche?product.id=167&lg=uk#

rico

by rico

I like Vittoria CXs too, in both tubular (on the LWs) and clincher form. They feel good and seem to last OK.

But they are just awful if there's any dampness on the road and I'm starting to get a lot of rear wheelspin with them on climbs. May try something else - preferably something with a lot of grip....

rico[/i]

eurostar

by eurostar

Why not try the Dugast silk Paris-Roubaix? Only 130 euros...your chance to have bicycle tyres that make car tyres look cheap.

martin

by martin

eurostar wrote:Why not try the Dugast silk Paris-Roubaix? Only 130 euros...your chance to have bicycle tyres that make car tyres look cheap.

I used Dugadt Strada Silk last year, but i believe Veloflex Servizio Corsa are better.

Martl
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

team_amsterdam

by team_amsterdam

The effect of riding a good set of tires is very large, especially compared to the effect of frame material, and front fork (I can't feel a difference between an alu and titanium frame...). So it is very rewarding to invest in good tires. I've been riding gommitalia platinum, tufo S3lite, vittoria CX, conti's and veloflex criterium. The veloflex is the best in my opinion, high grip in curves and comfortable on cobbles.
I bought them at www.veloflexdirekt.de.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

One trick that I have used on Vittoria-type valve extenders (the type that are inseted between the valve body and the valve core) is to wrap both sets of threads with two turns of teflon tape (available at any hardware store). Without the teflon tape, the valve core seal always seems to leak abit, even with butyl tubes like Conti's.

With respect to the reasons to use tubulars, besides the weight savings, they do not seem to flat like clinchers. I have only had three flats in better than 20 years of riding tubulars (two of them within 500m of each other 15 years ago...).

I am currently on a set of Vittoria All-Weather 22mm tubulars that I use for winter training. I have swapped the front and rear over already and both have almost no tread left! I find the All-Weather the most durable (way better than CX's and very like the old CG's that we used to use on the rear wheel back "in the day"). They do have latex tubes, though (which are much more flexible than butyl and part of the reason that they are so durable), which means you have to inflate them daily. I have recently been using Conti Competition 22's and have been very impressed. I have not noticed them being out-of-round like others have noted, maybe I am just lucky... I have to say, you get spoiled very quickly not having to 'air-up' with the rest of the guys every ride.