Advice needed on tubular repair.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Taz

by Taz

So having bought a new set of wheel with some nice tubulars (FMB cotton) yesterday the inevitable happened and I got a flat. :cry:
The hole was big enough that I could not seal it with latex (I used Stan's) but at least as long as I kept the pressure low it did not lose any air and got me to the car. I changed it to continue my practice (btw I used a Tufo 215 as a spare, now I understand why most people here say Tufo are horrible, the difference to the FMB in rolling resistance and comfort was terrifying to say the least. :unbelievable: )
So when I got home I opened the casing, cleaned the tube with alcohol and patched it with a Parktool glueless patch. Sew it up, inflated it to 120 psi and it seemed to be ok for 1-2 hours but after that it lost air. As usual the parktool patches failed to withstand the high pressure. :?

So my question is:
What do you guys use to patch your tubular's latex inner tube?
I would hate to have to discard a 70euro tubular just like that.

When I was younger and riding tubular 20 years ago what we did was use an old latex tube to make patches. What I don't remember is what type of glue I was using. Any ideas? :idea:
Last edited by Taz on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theremery

by theremery

I used to use old-school vulcanising agent on latex tubes. You want the ones that are "thin" to the touch and don't have much gummyness to them. The ones with a heavier gummy feel to them did not do at all well and the gummy material seemed to form a layer that would roll/peel off. I used patches that came with velox repair kits but can't remember if they were velox brand patches.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cortinovis

by cortinovis

I find it also difficult for reparing a tubular. Sometimes it will hold, sometimes not. I always try to repair it.
I used the velox trousse reperation kit. All incluted, works wel.
velox link

On the velox site you can find more info at the How To section about repairing a tubular.
And also on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IqAX2Hvrks

Edit: some more info
Sheldon my friend :tub repair AASHTA !!
Yellow jersey: tub repair
Last edited by cortinovis on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck Sheldon Brown and may Igor fly with you.

Taz

by Taz

Does the velox kit have special patches and glue for latex?
To sew the tire up I use waxed dental floss :D , it seems to be very strong (not to mention easy to acquire) and I did not have a failure in the old days. For the base tape I use Vittoria Mastik One although I probably should be using carpet glue (latex solution?).
The only thing I can't find is what type of glue and patches to use. I hate to just try with something that does not work, since that could possibly ruin the tube.

cortinovis

by cortinovis

Well, I use to repair my michelin latex inner tubes with the same patches and glue like for normal inner tubes. And yes it works, don't know of is the good way but it works.
Good luck Sheldon Brown and may Igor fly with you.

theremery

by theremery

velox thread (I just did a quick check on ebay....available dead cheap) and I used ADOS F2 (a good quality contact adhesive ) for the base tape.
I don't think there was anything at all flash about the patches I used back then....I think as long as the vulcanising agent is ok you are good to go with most brands. Check for patches that are not overly thick and have decent flexibilty/stretchyness as this may help prevent a "sewn-in bump"
Best of luck :)
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

rustychain

by rustychain

lazy mans option http://www.tirealert.com/
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Giant DK

by Giant DK

Normal butyl patches works perfect, but I use to cut some patches out of an old latex tube. Put solution on both patch and tube and let it dry. This works perfect and you get a more flexible patch...
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II