Best and Lightest Skewers (again_)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roberto Bicicletas

by Roberto Bicicletas

Last edited by Roberto Bicicletas on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cheers!

by Cheers!

I too use the control tech skewers. They work great. Except if you need to constantly take your wheels on and off to make your bike fit into the trunk of your car. Then it gets tiring trying to find a 5mm wrench each time you need to take off or install the wheels.

I have since switched to the KCNC skewers for both MTB and Road. Great Skewers.

theremery

by theremery

I think I'll be joining cheers.....and for the same reasons (tho I use cheap racebolts Ti bolt-on skewers at 46g/pair, not control techs)
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

XL_Carbon wrote:My black ORs have over 1000 miles and so far no issues to report. I did however put grease in the cam/lever section just so that it's easier to lift the lever. Now it's easier to release especially since I clamp my skewers on relatively tight. Clamping force seems just as good as M2s.

Is there any guidance/concern on how grease is applied to skewers relative to slippage or inadvertent opening of QR, especially on lighter weight models?

XL_Carbon

by XL_Carbon

HammerTime2 wrote:
XL_Carbon wrote:My black ORs have over 1000 miles and so far no issues to report. I did however put grease in the cam/lever section just so that it's easier to lift the lever. Now it's easier to release especially since I clamp my skewers on relatively tight. Clamping force seems just as good as M2s.

Is there any guidance/concern on how grease is applied to skewers relative to slippage or inadvertent opening of QR, especially on lighter weight models?

Only apply on the cam. A small amount should do. Yes, inadvertently adding too much can get to the bottom of the cam washer (the dropout side) but luckily, the washer on the new OMNIs is serrated for gripping. (Not sure if serrated is the correct word... but the surface has a machined roughness to it. Maybe rough knurled surface? The nut surface is also knurled btw.)

Surely, slippage can occur if grease is introduced especially on smooth washer and nut surfaces like on the older M2s. Just a matter of being careful. Anyhow, I haven't detected any slippage with the OMNIs.

Also, I don't think the introduction of grease would cause the QR to open accidently since the lever is already as tight as it can be. No way is it loose or too easy to lift.

Hope that answered your question. Mel

gitsome

by gitsome

Can someone forward info on the parts of passion stuff? I've done a gogle search with no results... what is that?

I may go with a set of kcnc and the controltech bolt ons for kicks but I would like to know more about the Pop somebody had mentioned.

thanks all

Singletrackmind

by Singletrackmind

Johnny Rad wrote:Nobody running the M2Racer QRs anymore?!

Did they or do they wear out?!

I still use mine daily. They are very solid and I have no worries about them. If I need another set of skewers, I guess I would probably get the Omni Racers or a set of the Carbon Ti skewers.

HillMut

by HillMut

Another +1 for SpinStix, been using them for a little over a year with no problems at all. I'll have to try out the KCNC skewers next, they look nice!

johnnyha

by johnnyha

NS wrote:

Yes, I have a pair for sale. I have less wheels than skewers these days

Any views on them? Could be interested...

artek

by artek

Yes.
They demand some brain re-progamming to become accustomed to.
Clamping is excellent - consistent, precise. More gently achieve high clamp force; especially good for forks with carbon dropouts.
However, I consider their durablity unacceptable - the plastic ratchet teeth fail quickly.
Attachments
skewer.jpg
Last edited by artek on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arcspin

by arcspin

Now this is light !!!
Image[/img]
a climbers delight...SCOTT ADDICT Ltd
http://arcspin.wordpress.com/my-bike/

Camp Mallorca
http://www.campmallorca.se

linus

by linus

:shock:
Are those carbon rods?

Raxel

by Raxel

Controltech recently released a lighter one weighing only 29g.
It uses a proprietary wrench Like m2racer one, and hopefully quite cheaper than m2racer (now omniracer) ones.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

linus wrote::shock:
Are those carbon rods?

Hi,

Yep.
Carbon rods and levers with alu threads and cams bonded on.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

GrahamB

by GrahamB

Cheers! wrote:I have since switched to the KCNC skewers for both MTB and Road. Great Skewers.

Me too :)
Graham

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com