Best and Lightest Skewers (again_)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GrahamB

by GrahamB

artek wrote:More gently achieve high clamp force; especially good for forks with carbon dropouts.

I can see they'd be more gentle on your hands... but so far as the drop outs go, surely clamp-force is clamp force?
Graham

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addicted

by addicted

So how much does a typical Mavic or Dura Ace skewer set weigh??

Edit, disregard, looked it up.

Just ordered a set of black KCNC's off the 'bay for $69 shipped. :)

artek

by artek

GrahamB wrote:
artek wrote:More gently achieve high clamp force; especially good for forks with carbon dropouts.

I can see they'd be more gentle on your hands... but so far as the drop outs go, surely clamp-force is clamp force?

Yes, they are easier on the fingers, but their standout benefit is this:-
The conventional quick release skewer is somewhat "hit an miss", in that one makes preload adjustment, then "whack", swings closed the lever - sometimes the clamp force is too high or low.
With the DT Swiss RWS skewer one easily makes precise final incremental tightening to bring the clamp to the "ideal" force.

For a carbon drop-out this means that the carbon isn't "crunched".

mythical

by mythical

The most interesting is that I spoke with Thomas Frischknecht at Interbike last year about carbon rods in skewers. Quite probably he has a connection with Tune. I wonder if he rides those U20s now... :D

That said, I'm pretty sure that it's possible to go even lighter for skewers given a tweak in the design. Interestingly enough though, it's the first Tune product I've seen that claims "patent pending"... ;)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

artek wrote:
GrahamB wrote:

Yes, they are easier on the fingers, but their standout benefit is this:-
The conventional quick release skewer is somewhat "hit an miss", in that one makes preload adjustment, then "whack", swings closed the lever - sometimes the clamp force is too high or low.
With the DT Swiss RWS skewer one easily makes precise final incremental tightening to bring the clamp to the "ideal" force.

For a carbon drop-out this means that the carbon isn't "crunched".

Hi,

So, how on earth would anyone know by hand what that "ideal" force would be?
What would the consquences be for deviating from this supposedly ideal force?
Oh, you won't crunch a full carbon fork's dropouts that easily. You may do some cosmetic damage though by rotating serrated skewers repeatedly but that's about it.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

artek

by artek

fdegrove wrote:Oh, you won't crunch a full carbon fork's dropouts that easily. You may do some cosmetic damage though by rotating serrated skewers repeatedly but that's about it.

fdegrove, thanks for your guarantee. when i damage my forks this way I'll send them to you for replacement. :)

jokes aside, repeated strong overclamping of carbon dropouts certainly can ruin the fork.

artek

by artek

fdegrove wrote:So, how on earth would anyone know by hand what that "ideal" force would be?

:? if you please, replace ' "ideal" ' with 'desired'.

mises

by mises

My favorite is KCNC. Work very smoothly and look nice too. Second place to Bold - probably the most durable of the lighter ones, third to M2/Omni.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Lightweight Quick Releases?

Adrien at http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-22508220.html wrote:NEW QUICK RELEASES made out of titanium/aluminium. They weight 32g and are limited to a very high rider weight: 120kg. Carbon-Sports is very confident in the design. 89 euros per set.

David Bell of CarbonSports at http://www.carbonsports-forum.de/showthread.php?t=926 wrote:Yes, they are available right now! Über Kool and only 32g for a pair. Available in different colors too. Our web page will be re-vamped after all the bike shows.

mythical

by mythical

Those Lightweight skewers are actually by Parts of Passion. I've got some of those lying around here somewhere but mine weighed about 40g with a alu rod in front and a titanium rod rear. They claim it has been DIN tested and passed with good results.

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

mythical wrote:Those Lightweight skewers are actually by Parts of Passion. I've got some of those lying around here somewhere but mine weighed about 40g with a alu rod in front and a titanium rod rear. They claim it has been DIN tested and passed with good results.

The cam and the bolt are actually different.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Any of you guys spotted these new skewers by Tune?

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-22517566.html

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

mythical

by mythical

Yes, I was at Eurobike. They look nice enough, probably work well, but the end of that rod seems a bit sharp. It would've been better probably if Tune had made it friendlier on the hands, like the KCNC for example.

Adrien wrote:
mythical wrote:Those Lightweight skewers are actually by Parts of Passion. I've got some of those lying around here somewhere but mine weighed about 40g with a alu rod in front and a titanium rod rear. They claim it has been DIN tested and passed with good results.

The cam and the bolt are actually different.

Nope, they are exactly the same as my Parts of Passions... Except mine are red anodized and have "Parts of Passion" engraved in them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Per the parts of passion website description, there is an RR Ltd. version exclusive to Lightweight. It is 4g lighter than the RR, and uses alu instead of ti rear axle.
untranslated German version here
google translation here