Best and Lightest Skewers (again_)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mythical

by mythical

Parts of Passion website wrote:Auf Wunsch werden die Excenterteller mit gewünschtem Logo gelasert!

Which explains the Lightweight logo. :roll:

That weight makes more sense with 7075 rods as my Carbon-Ti X-Lock skewers also have both alu rods and weigh 31g... Since these are still the same as the Parts of Passion in every other way, I personally recommend them to any WW! :thumbup:

If you now still have Lightweight wheels without these skewers in them, you are a hypocrit and should be banned! :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Personally I didn't like the X-lock, I thought it was a flawed design. Review is here: http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5476

Review of several others is here: http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5029

pk0r

by pk0r

According to Carbon-Ti the failures were due to too short axles with the first batches though and which resulted in not enough of an overlap between the axle threads and nuts. This has been corrected and they state they would not be having any more problems.

The LW QRs indeed are PartsOfPassion ones: they are having an exclusive deal however which assures them the lightest possible version with alu axles in the front and rear which is not available to the aftermarket from PartsOfPassion (their lightest offering is alu/titan).

Tune's U20 are said to be available (or at least manufactured in quantities) from December on and will retail around 150Eur.
| works for an European bike manufacturer |
| "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Does the 3 or 4 g per axle saved with alu instead of ti cost you reliability or "performance"?

mythical

by mythical

That's only on the rear axle where about 8-9 grams is saved by substituting titanium for aluminium. All Parts of Passion QRs have alu rods up front.

Titanium is stronger than alu but also heavier and apparently alu strong enough for road so I don't see any safety issues arising. I've been riding such skewers with alu rods in front and rear for a while and not treating them carefully at all and they manage to hold up. For mountainbike skewers it's not advisable to have alu rods in skewers because of the forces at play. :)

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

HammerTime2 wrote:Per the parts of passion website description, there is an RR Ltd. version exclusive to Lightweight. It is 4g lighter than the RR, and uses alu instead of ti rear axle.
untranslated German version here
google translation here

Parts of Passion website says 4g difference. Is alu vs. ti axle the only difference between these models?

What forces are at play on the road when you hit a pothole at high speed, perhaps when corenering?

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Another vote for the Control Tech skewers... I have a set from around 1996 that still work like new! They weighed 47g over a decade ago... :shock:

My favourite actual quick release are Mavics (you can get some with a Ti axle which aren't too porky). They have a spring loaded feel!

I also use Spinergy quick releases that are supplied with their wheels... a very clean design.

Another great quick release for me are Rolfs... they have large, curved levers which you need to position just right with some frames.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Most brilliant design award would go to Campa's latest skewers IMHO.
Flipside to their brilliance is that people don't see how well they clamp with such light lever actuation.....
I prefer them over Mavic.

Extremely light and yet still very usable (in an ergonomic way) are M2Racers even though I added some springs on the rear to make them easier to align especially on the rear dropouts.
Nowadays only slightly heavier clones are available.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

artek

by artek

djconnel wrote:http://engr.ku.edu/~kuktl/bicycle/Release.html

:thumbup: thanks for posting this link.
scientific information, analysis and reasoning enlightens and improves us as a cycling community; regurgutating marketing hype impairs us.

ksroadie

by ksroadie

Anyone have experience with these? Recall mythical had a pair but afaik hasn't yet offered his impressions.

morephyous

by morephyous

I run Parts of Passion Skewers. Top notch!

ksroadie

by ksroadie

morephyous wrote:I run Parts of Passion Skewers. Top notch!

Thanks morephyous. Any problems with the ball of the handle damaging the cup? In no time the Carbon-ti X Lock version gets pretty chewed up, as the aluminum cup is softer than the ti ball. (See Madcow's review and photos of the Carbon-ti X Locks on the FWB forum, http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtop ... lit=x+lock.) Don't want to make the same mistake twice. :(

morephyous

by morephyous

I don't open them much, so can't comment on it. But it's on pretty tight, with a bit of grease. I'm guessing Gerhard must have made them a bit more robust than the Carbon-Ti versions seeing they are used by Carbonsports.

Also handy I live 10min away from the local importer :lol: .

AXERA DO7

by AXERA DO7

I have a set of the POP skewers but as I haven't used them yet I cannot comment on their operation, thou I recently recieved some Extralite skewers with a wheel purchase and while being slightly heavier than the POP's ( 39.9grams - 58.1grams ) the Extralite's feel very sercure when locking in the wheel, not the smallest handle on them but very nice all the same.

Starter

by Starter

Can't believe nobodys mentioned the "eBay Specials" yet...

Bolt on (hex), steel axles, available in a plethora of colors, claimed 65g a pair is spot on, and best of all... Around $12 shipped.

Can't beat that with a stick... I prefer steel to ti, and I'll take the 15g penalty to feel totally secure. Plus at the price and with all the colors you can get a pair for each wheelset, rather than swapping in a $70-$150 slightly lighter ti pair...

Do a search for skewers on eBay. Buncha sellers have 'em under various names...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com