HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:37 pm 

cadence90 wrote:
And are we convinced yet that the outboard rage is a better durability solution than ISIS (probably) or standard?
I'm talking only about bearing durability, etc. not bb spindle stiffness....

yes i think durability is way up there, bearings are bigger than any other BB setup. plus DA7800 has been out long enough to determine that outboard bearings is a good move (stiffer, stronger, and longer lasting)

does anyone know the Q-factor for the cannondale Si cranks???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:33 pm 

I find it interesting :shock: that some people on this site have absolutely no hesitation in paying over 2,000 Euro for a set of LW wheels but are expressing major reservations at paying 899 US for the zipps: both are revolutionary components, both are extremely light in their respective component category

one could argue that without stiff cranks your power won't get to the wheels, irrespective of how stiff and / or light the wheels may be..and in a crash your cranks are more likely to survive than your LW wheels!!!!

I only just bought the Pulsion cranks, otherwise I would have gone for the zipps - although there aren't many cranks that have the mojo of a chunk taken out oftheir crank arm 8)

Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:33 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:57 pm 

I don't own LW wheels or Zipp cranks and I probably never will, because while I like those components and while the US $ 3000+ would certainly reduce my bikes' weight, it also certainly would not improve my performance enough to justify the cost.

That being said, I don't think Zipp or Pulsion are all that revolutionary, not like Lightweights. They are just a lighter version of a type which has in fact proven to be fairly unreliable over the season.

And as far as power transfer to those LW is concerned, I'm not convinced a lightweight Zipp crank matched with a New Ultimate etc. scandium ISIS bb is in fact the answer in the long run.

Money and mojo aren't the only ingredients.... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:19 pm 

big fellow wrote:
I find it interesting :shock: that some people on this site have absolutely no hesitation in paying over 2,000 Euro for a set of LW wheels but are expressing major reservations at paying 899 US for the zipps: both are revolutionary components, both are extremely light in their respective component category

Lightweights have a proven track record though .. been used in the tour de france, etc. Never heard a single bad word on them. The zipp cranks are just too new at this point.

I think you make a good point though .. there's always a money vs. diminishing returns issue with WW components.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:46 pm 

It might not belong in this thread, but I did not see the FSA SLK in the test list or the FSK K force. Does anyone know how they compare to the top finishers in the list. Also does anyone think the new FSA MegaQuad BB help the durablity issue?

Go to page Previous  1, 2