Best dirt / gravel road tires

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which Paved / Fire Road Clincher Tire

Poll ended at Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Vittoria Open Pave 24mm
69%
Michelin ProRace2 25mm
19%
Continental GP4000 25mm
13%
Vittoria Open CX 25mm
No votes

Total votes: 16

gummee

by gummee

I guess it all depends on your definition of dirt and/or gravel roads... Right now, most of the dirt roads here in the DC area are pretty smooth. Come spring, they're going to get re-graveled and then riding on em on road tires won't be all that fun. :nah

Me? I'm on some 28c Gatorskins at the smallest and more usually on some 34c Racing Ralphs. I AM on cross bike(s) when I'm riding these tho, that may make a difference. Buddy of mine has Michelin Jets. They seem to roll faster than my RR-s.

I *should* be out riding dirt roads for 4hrs today, but its about 20deg F out and the wind is howling. The couch monster and its evil minions 'the Screw-its' are attacking.

M

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JBV

by JBV

They've already been mentioned, but Tufo C Elite Ride 25's. The tubular-clincher model. You can load them with sealant (they work better than clinchers for this since there's no tube) for thorns/glass, and they are as resistant to pinch-flatting as any tubular, perhaps more so because of the lack of a tube. The result is you can run them at way lower pressure than any clincher, meaning a better ride and better traction on dirt and gravel.

I use these for training, my team (we all race road and cx) often take dirt/gravel roads on our training rides. I can absolutely crush on these because of the 25mm size and the lower pressure. I often run them at 50-60psi, try that on a clincher on a dirt/gravel road and you'll pinch at any kind of speed.

My point being, the advantages of running lower pressure more than make up for the lack of a supple casing, and the extra grams. They're not cheap, hard to find for under $79 per tire, but I find the on/off road performance for my riding to be worth it.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

My point being, the advantages of running lower pressure more than make up for the lack of a supple casing, and the extra grams.

That sounds contradictory to me.
You can have lower pressure, more supple casing hence lower crr and less weight in a single tyre.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.