aluminum sprockets

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wolfie

by wolfie

hi there,

I currently ride on a Campa Ti/Steel cassette. But I want to shave some more weight off my (with just over 7000 grams w/o pedals) not too heavy bike.
Was looking into TA specialties sprockets, man, light is the word.
but how long do they last? any experience?
I have 4000 km on my ti/st and it still looks like new...

Cyco

by Cyco

The TA cassette is much lighter than Dura-Ace or Record Steel/Ti cassettes, but unfortunatly I have found mine do not last as long as the DAs. This means I run a TA on my race wheels, and train on Ultegra.

The Effeti (sp?) one piece is lighter again, but I havn't yet yet purchased one - This is planned to replace the TA when it wears out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Joel

by Joel

http://www.lightbike.com/it/pignoni/index.htm
Check this: 120g for 12-26 Campa and not too expensive :)

Superlite

by Superlite

i use to think about getting an aluminum cassette, but then I realized how much of a waste it is. You pay all that money and about 1000 miles later it's garbage. I don't know if you guys are just building lite weight bikes you hardly ride or what, but I've seen some pretty stupid stuff on bikes lately. I ride about 12,000 miles a year so a cassette like that would be gone in a month. Forget aluminim, if you want light weight, go with a cycledynamics Ti cassette. It's about 40 dollars more than an aluminum and weighs about 15 grams more, but it will last quite a long time. Soon as I get enough money saved up you can see it on my bike.

Francois_viviers@hotmail.

by Francois_viviers@hotmail.

Yes we do put silly stuff on our light bikes, but if you decide to ride on light parts all the time then that is you choice, I have a hack bike for general training it is still quite nice and most other people qould consider it light but it is just plain durable parts. The aluminium cassette is there for race days

by Guest

Better yet, the American Classic alloy Campy cogs are individual (bolted together by an allen bolt), and according to their website, will be available individually for replacement...

Those 1 piece alloy units are light, but you all know the pitfalls of wearing one or two of the cogs out... bye bye cogset...

Cyco

by Cyco

Francios, I agree with your method of using these faster wearing but lighter parts.

One adventage of the TA cassettes is that the cogs can be purchased individually (if you ask nicely).

andysklein14

by andysklein14

Which have a slower wear rate Ti cassettes or Al cassettes. I would think the Ti would last longer. Also I remember Campy used to treat there aluminum freewheels so they would last longer(around 3000-4000 miles) by heat treating them or something. I wonder if TA or the others do this or not?

Superlite

by Superlite

Yes, TA does heat treat them, but they dont last NEARLY as long as a Ti cassette. Expect around 9-12,000 miles out of a Ti cassette, 5-8,000 miles from a steel, and 1000-2000 miles from aluminum.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com