HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:07 pm 

I couldn't believe what a difference latex tubes made (vreds ) Does anyone use them in crappy weather ? I have reserved mine for use on the summer steed only...

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:23 pm 

I've run the Vreds in Vittoria Evo CX 25s and Pave 24s. Both in wet weather as well. Both feel awesome :)

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:23 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:00 pm 

I just ordered some Challenge tubes... maybe I should have read this thread first, since people seem to be liking Vreds here.

Anyway, the question is whether rolling resistance is generally better (as Al Morrison measured) or worse (as Jan Heine claims) with latex. I tend to believe better.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:15 pm 

I dunno, I feel faster but that may be just a placebo type effect, tyres seem noisier if you know what I mean - I can hear them rolling more ( if that makes sense ) I quite like it

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:01 pm 

I can't imagine they'd generate more resistance. They feel better, and feeling better is faster!

The Vred tubes are also ~1/2 the weight of my butyl tubes where my Vittoria latex are the same as butyl

As for noise; I definitely notice they sound different. For me, I don't think louder though. On a trainer/rollers they're certainly quieter.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:33 pm 

If nothing else, you can likely run them at lower pressure, and that can be faster.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:10 am 

Just like Imaking20, I've run the Vred latex tubes in both 25mm tires and wet weather. I was a little concerned about running them in 25mm tires since some retailers seem to list them as recommended for 20-23mm while others list them for up to 25mm even though I think everyone is selling the exact same tube.

For me, I used the Vreds in 25mm Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tires on my rain bike for the entire PNW winter. I had no complaints against the tubes at all besides the minor one that they lost a ton of air overnight (significantly more than other latex tubes I've used). FWIW-was testing out both the tires and tubes to use on my nice bike for summer races and would definitely recommend the Vreds, but I did not like the tires.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am 

djconnel wrote:
I just ordered some Challenge tubes... maybe I should have read this thread first, since people seem to be liking Vreds here.

Anyway, the question is whether rolling resistance is generally better (as Al Morrison measured) or worse (as Jan Heine claims) with latex. I tend to believe better.

I belive they are as good as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:37 am 
in the industry

Every test done by everyone *but* Jan Heine has shown a Crr benefit... a pretty good one. I like JH and he does some good work, but I don't believe his protocol controls for important variables well enough to give accurate data.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:47 am 
in the industry

Monkeyboy3333 wrote:
I couldn't believe what a difference latex tubes made (vreds ) Does anyone use them in crappy weather ?

All the time. Latex tubes are less likely to pinch flat, and also seem to be resistant to small sharp objects (like thorns). Many times I've gotten a goathead, wire, tack, etc stuck in a tire (through the casing) and did not get a flat.

The downside is the price and having to pump them every day.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:58 am 

I've never had good experience with Challenge latex tubes, however the Michilen ones have been lovely for me. Works fine with a CX tyre too for anyone who races CX or does gravel rides.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:03 am 
Administrator

I've been using the Michelin latex tubes for years and no issues. I just take my time and like any tube inspect it before inflation.

-First one over the cliff wins!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:13 pm 

I check my tire pressures every day anyway so having to pump them daily wasn't an issue for me. Certainly worth the trade off.

FWIW, I have had the same experiences as WMW as far as resistance to flatting. The first flat I've encountered on latex was last week - my wife picked up a drywall screw on a bike path... ironically, it was right in front of a park bench where someone was sitting. Immediately after the flat, the bystander left.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:27 pm 

I think the message from Jan Heine is that at least one latex tube has more rolling resistance than at least one butyl. Light tubes are better than heavy tubes of the same type, and a heavy latex may be more RR than a very light butyl. But since he is focused on wide, low-pressure tires, generalization of his results isn't a good idea.

Latex don't age well and they don't patch well so I'll be buying more in a year or so. Maybe I'll do Vreds then. I recall having poor luck with Michelin but that was awhile ago.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:04 pm 
in the industry

I don't believe any of the results of JH's test. BTW, I replied to your thread about his new test... I'd be interested in discussing it further there.

Latex has very low hysteresis, and butyl very high. Making a butyl tube very thin will certainly help reduce the losses, but even a thick latex tube has close to zero.

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:04 pm 

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next