Best latex tube - which one?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

I bought some Vred latex tubes 6 years ago. Turns out they were thick heavy ones... like 100g. I'm still using them on the TT bike.

IME latex patches more easily than butyl. I uses pieces of an old tube and Elmers rubber cement.
formerly rruff...

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

WMW wrote:I bought some Vred latex tubes 6 years ago. Turns out they were thick heavy ones... like 100g. I'm still using them on the TT bike.

IME latex patches more easily than butyl. I uses pieces of an old tube and Elmers rubber cement.

Are they creamy natural pigment or black? Were the Vred latex tubes natural pigement even six years ago? All of the ones I have bought are natural pigement and weighed no more than 50g each so I think you may have got ripped there. 100g sure ain't latex

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Natural color. Definitely latex. I checked them for Crr today and it's as low as the thin latex. Both are ~25% less resistance than a 90g butyl tube in a 23mm Supersonic.
formerly rruff...

nayr497

by nayr497

Good to know the Vredestein tubes work just fine in 24 or 25 mm tires. I'm using mine with 23s right now but would like to try some 25mms next time I need new tires.

Mine are the unpigmented ones, got them for about $10 each shipped from UK to U.S. Not stocked in my LBSs.
A good day becomes a better day with a bicycle ride.

nickf

by nickf

I have been running verds with veloflex tires for a few months now. I was running mich tubes for about a year. But i now prefer the verds. They are a few grams lighter. The mich tubes seem more susceptible to flats. My only complaint with the verds is that they do stretch out a bit and dont exactly fit when you go to re install them. I get a bunch of excess tube that has to be crammed into the tire. I did ride the rouge roubaix this year with some verds and gatorskin 25s. 104 miles of pavement and gravel.

mattyb95

by mattyb95

I was switching my tyres as I have a long sportive coming up and had been puncturing quite a bit recently on my Vittoria tyres so changing to GP4000s. The Vredestein tubes had indentations on the rim side when I took them out. Is that normal for latex?

djconnel

by djconnel

Yes.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

With Conti making 50g rubber tubes, why would anyone be interested in Latex$$$?
carbonLORD.com

styrrell

by styrrell

Latex offers lower rolling resistance. That due to its properties not its weight. A tire wioth a heavier latex tube will be faster than a tire with a lighter butyl tube.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Not compelling enough but thanks for the reasoning. I have low enough rolling resistance using wider Zipp and Enve clinchers so I'll count my blessings.
carbonLORD.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

So don't use latex.

Those conti tubes won't ride as nice

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

carbonLORD wrote:With Conti making 50g rubber tubes, why would anyone be interested in Latex$$$?

Have you really thought this through?

Oh, I see, you're in the industry. I assume that's the same industry that's after everyone's money?

Enjoy as many flats as you can muster, ;)

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

carbonLORD wrote:Not compelling enough but thanks for the reasoning. I have low enough rolling resistance using wider Zipp and Enve clinchers so I'll count my blessings.

Rims don't lower rolling resistance...
formerly rruff...

Tom-s

by Tom-s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jpanspac

by jpanspac

I don't give much credence to FLO's arguments. Their analogy of a screwdriver stuck in a 2x4 is laughable. That's not the way a wheel works at all.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.