Best latex tube - which one?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Not sure this was actually mentioned in this thread but you can make your own latex patches from an old latex inner tube. Just make sure they're nicely rounded.

The problem with butyl patches is that it creates stress points in the area around them, overstretching the latex locally if you like which may lead to premature leaks and/or punctures.
I actually do feel and sometimes even see the presence of a butyl patch with top of the line tyres a la Veloflex Corsa etc. I find it quite annoying.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Thanks for the tip. Will try that once I have 2 patches on this tube and is ready for cutting into circles!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

spytech wrote:"Vittoria aim to introduce some key products with the new Nanographyte material in mid-2014 for the 2015 season."

6 months from now at the earliest.

:popcorn:

by 11.4

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Using talcum powder to make it easier to mount the inner tube, yes. But that won't lower the rolling resistance of a tyre.

Try to use it sparingly as when talcum powder gets wet it tends to caulk.

Ciao, ;)

I haven't had problems with real talcum powder. However, most of what is marketed these days as talcum or baby powder is mostly or totally cornstarch and that stuff does turn into glue when wet. It'll glue your tube into your tire if it meets water, and of course is happy to make hard little lumps after it dries. Be sure your bottle says "talc" and never any cornstarch at all in the ingredients list.

Ekorre

by Ekorre

+1 on the michelin

1415chris

by 1415chris

What kind of glue do you use for "hand cut old latex tube" patches?
I tried Rema TipTop cement once but with no success.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

That's odd as I always used that one without any troubles at all.
Do clean the patches and the punctured area with some alcohol first, do not use any abrasive sanding paper.

Cheers, ;)

1415chris

by 1415chris

That seems to be a reason of my failure, sanding the tube.
Next time I shall try alcohol, before, during and after gluing :)

Thanks Frank :thumbup:

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

1415chris wrote:What kind of glue do you use for "hand cut old latex tube" patches?

I use Elmer's Rubber Cement from a jar... from the craft section of Walmart or wherever. It's cheap and lasts a long time.

I even use pieces of latex for patching butyl tubes (which I carry as spares)... it just works better.
formerly rruff...

Razor

by Razor

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Not sure this was actually mentioned in this thread but you can make your own latex patches from an old latex inner tube. Just make sure they're nicely rounded.

The problem with butyl patches is that it creates stress points in the area around them, overstretching the latex locally if you like which may lead to premature leaks and/or punctures.
I actually do feel and sometimes even see the presence of a butyl patch with top of the line tyres a la Veloflex Corsa etc. I find it quite annoying.

Ciao, ;)

I've used all of the latex tubes; Michelin, Vreds, Vittoria, Challenge. I find that the Vreds are a nicer ride but they are finicky. If you get a small hole and need to patch it on the road (I usually just carry an extra tube), it may be hard to find/hear/feel. I'll usually just put in the spare tube and wait to get home to patch the other one (it is necessary to submerge it under water to find the hole). I use baby powder on them before mounting them in the tire. Currently using them with Conti 4000s which give a smooth ride (contrary to using a butyl tube which makes the Conti's feel like they "bounce" over road imperfections).

As mentioned, I too used old latex tubes and cut them up for patches. I uses the regular glue that comes with butyl tubes, I've even used Super Glue. Sure, they lose air but I pump up my tires before every ride just out of habit. The reason why I have the old tubes and are using them for patches is because I could not find the hole that was causing the leak or they have been patched before and the escaping air is coming from a bad patch job which would require ripping the old patch off and reapplying it which is not idea so I just use it as patch source.

nayr497

by nayr497

After reading the advice of some in this thread, I've successfully patched latex tubes with a small patch made from another latex tube. It's worked great.

I'm curious - has anyone tried patching a butyl tube with another tube? Did you use a butyl patch? Latex?

I ask because I flatted on my 'round bike last night on my way to the movies. In looking through my patch kits at home...I have a whole bunch of glue, but am nearly out of the black-with-orange rim patches included in the Park Tool little patch kit boxes. Was wondering if I could make my own patches for butyl tubes as well?
A good day becomes a better day with a bicycle ride.

nayr497

by nayr497

WMW wrote:
1415chris wrote:What kind of glue do you use for "hand cut old latex tube" patches?

I use Elmer's Rubber Cement from a jar... from the craft section of Walmart or wherever. It's cheap and lasts a long time.

I even use pieces of latex for patching butyl tubes (which I carry as spares)... it just works better.

Ah! It looks like the question I just asked....has already been answered!

Nice. I'll go ahead and give patching my butyl tube with a self-cut latex patch a try.

Thank you. :beerchug:
A good day becomes a better day with a bicycle ride.

gazzaputt

by gazzaputt

I have used Park Tools patches on my latex tubes and they've worked fine.

ms6073

by ms6073

I have also used Park Tool clear self adhesive patches on Michelin Latex tubes (and while not as elastic as latex patches, will work in a pinch but wanted to mention that it can be problematic if contaminants such as sunscreen get on the patch during the repair.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

The problem (if one can call it that way) with using butyl patches to fix a latex inner tube is that you often can feel the patched area as a hard spot when riding the bike.
As if there was a little rock inside the tyre so to speak.
At least you can with tyres of sufficient suppleness (high true TPI count).

This in turn makes the patched area stand out of round with respect of the rest of the tyre's casing causing premature wear in that particular area.

Ciao, ;)