Best latex tube - which one?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drainyoo

by drainyoo

supermidget wrote:Note to anyone looking to buy the vredestein latex tubes: their stem lengths are very far off as i found out yesterday buying a replacement for my front wheel. the 50mm advertised is really more like 34mm so the tube doesn't work with my wheels. Read a little online to find out that the 60mm is actually more like 54-55mm as well so take this into account if you're looking to buy the Vredestein tubes.

So would the 60mm work on my 40mm rims? 15mm extending out should be enough.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Note to anyone looking to buy the vredestein latex tubes: their stem lengths are very far off as i found out yesterday buying a replacement for my front wheel. the 50mm advertised is really more like 34mm so the tube doesn't work with my wheels

These exist in 34mm, 50mm and 60mm valve stem length. I suppose you just received the wrong length.

Either way, it would turn out lighter to use the shortest length and then add a light valve extender.

So fdegrove, what tires, are you riding with your Vredesteins to give the best feel and what pressures?

I used to ride them using Pariba Criterium tyres, Vitto Corsa CX and (best of all) Veloflex Corsa.
Tyre pressure varies with rider weight and road conditions but I kept it pretty low. Say 90 psi FW and 110 psi RW.

I am on tubulars for many years now, mostly Veloflex.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nayr497

by nayr497

Some more good information and tips. Great work everyone!

I'm got two new sets of tires seated on two sets of wheels. For me, talcum powder was what did the trick. My technique is getting pretty good, but just couldn't get one last tube to seat.

The advice to carefully seat the tube at the valve is very smart.
A good day becomes a better day with a bicycle ride.

supermidget

by supermidget

@11.4 thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware there was a 34mm valve version and it does sound like i may have received the wrong size. Still, I don't believe I'm the only one who has an issue with the exact valve lengths for these tubes. I'm trying to get the store to exchange my tube for a 50 or 60mm.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I've also read that the measurements are off for the valve length. This is from the BikeTiresDirect.com:

Vredestein measures and labels their valves by including the valve core and needle, so the actual length of the valve shaft may be shorter than marked on the box. We have described the valve lengths to better represent their true lengths, but do not recommend these tubes for applications which require an exact valve length (disc wheels, tri-spokes, etc). Please keep this in mind when ordering.

nayr497

by nayr497

I have a very weird flat issue that I can't figure out. Was hoping someone might have some ideas.

New Vittoria Corsa SC tire (clincher) with new Vredestein latex tube. I've ridden the bike/wheel a few times, no issue. Over the weekend I realized the tire was completely flat. Reinflated, was fully flat again with an hour.

Pulled the tube. Couldn't find a puncture. Ran it through water in the sink, no bubbles, couldn't find the hole. Inflated slightly and let the tube sit. It held air. Reinstalled tube, inflated tire...was fully flat, again within an hour or so.

So...can't find the puncture, tube won't hold air. Tube holds air outside the tire (only a few psi, I know I'm not supposed to inflate outside the tire) but goes flat very quickly in the tire.

Have no idea what is going on. Ideas? Thanks.

citadelguard

by citadelguard

Bad valve that will occasionally hold air? It might not be the tube at all.
- 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO
- 1982 Team Fuji (Setup for gravel)
- 1995 Specialized Stumpjumper HT L (In pieces)

nayr497

by nayr497

citadelguard wrote:Bad valve that will occasionally hold air? It might not be the tube at all.

Thanks for the suggestion. That had crossed my mind. I'll look into it later today. Thanks! It's very weird...tube does seem to be fine.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Are you using a valve extender on that wheel ?

Cheers, ;)

nayr497

by nayr497

Nope, no valve extender. These are alloy Ambrosio rims, so the standard Vredestein tubes/valve are plenty long to clear the rim. Went to inflate it Friday, held air for a minute, then a burst. Didn't have time to pull the tube yet, but I think the valve blew right out/off the tube.

Will inspect tonight when I get home. Think the tube is likely dead, unfortunately.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Sounds like a tiny little hole turned into a big one.
Shot latex inner tubes can be repaired or used to repair other ones, depending.

Cheers, ;)

F45

by F45

I'd squirt some sealant in there.

I've been using the Vredstein tubes without a problem. Good suggestion.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I'd squirt some sealant in there.

To each his own but I'd very much advise against that.
After a while that stuff just clogs stuff up. All in all not worth it really.

Cheers, ;)

Razor

by Razor

[quote="nayr497"]I have a very weird flat issue that I can't figure out.

I've had this issue before. I had to hold the tube underwater, then inch by inch, stretch the tube slightly until I find the hole. The hole can sometimes be located on the underside of the tube instead of on the top where you would assume it would be. It could be a very tiny hole that will emit very tiny bubbles that you may not see initially. Under full pressure, that tiny hole can become big enough to expand and thus lose significant air. I'll use a sharpie (underwater) and circle the hole location.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

Yeah but you should replace latex tubes every year, which accords to how long sealant lasts. It works out.