Best latex tube - which one?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

I couldn't believe what a difference latex tubes made (vreds ) Does anyone use them in crappy weather ? I have reserved mine for use on the summer steed only...

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I've run the Vreds in Vittoria Evo CX 25s and Pave 24s. Both in wet weather as well. Both feel awesome :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

I just ordered some Challenge tubes... maybe I should have read this thread first, since people seem to be liking Vreds here.

Anyway, the question is whether rolling resistance is generally better (as Al Morrison measured) or worse (as Jan Heine claims) with latex. I tend to believe better.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

I dunno, I feel faster but that may be just a placebo type effect, tyres seem noisier if you know what I mean - I can hear them rolling more ( if that makes sense ) I quite like it

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I can't imagine they'd generate more resistance. They feel better, and feeling better is faster!

The Vred tubes are also ~1/2 the weight of my butyl tubes where my Vittoria latex are the same as butyl

As for noise; I definitely notice they sound different. For me, I don't think louder though. On a trainer/rollers they're certainly quieter.

djconnel

by djconnel

If nothing else, you can likely run them at lower pressure, and that can be faster.

juanacity

by juanacity

Just like Imaking20, I've run the Vred latex tubes in both 25mm tires and wet weather. I was a little concerned about running them in 25mm tires since some retailers seem to list them as recommended for 20-23mm while others list them for up to 25mm even though I think everyone is selling the exact same tube.

For me, I used the Vreds in 25mm Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tires on my rain bike for the entire PNW winter. I had no complaints against the tubes at all besides the minor one that they lost a ton of air overnight (significantly more than other latex tubes I've used). FWIW-was testing out both the tires and tubes to use on my nice bike for summer races and would definitely recommend the Vreds, but I did not like the tires.

atakaoka

by atakaoka

djconnel wrote:I just ordered some Challenge tubes... maybe I should have read this thread first, since people seem to be liking Vreds here.

Anyway, the question is whether rolling resistance is generally better (as Al Morrison measured) or worse (as Jan Heine claims) with latex. I tend to believe better.

I belive they are as good as well.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Every test done by everyone *but* Jan Heine has shown a Crr benefit... a pretty good one. I like JH and he does some good work, but I don't believe his protocol controls for important variables well enough to give accurate data.
formerly rruff...

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Monkeyboy3333 wrote:I couldn't believe what a difference latex tubes made (vreds ) Does anyone use them in crappy weather ?

All the time. Latex tubes are less likely to pinch flat, and also seem to be resistant to small sharp objects (like thorns). Many times I've gotten a goathead, wire, tack, etc stuck in a tire (through the casing) and did not get a flat.

The downside is the price and having to pump them every day.
formerly rruff...

euan

by euan

I've never had good experience with Challenge latex tubes, however the Michilen ones have been lovely for me. Works fine with a CX tyre too for anyone who races CX or does gravel rides.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I check my tire pressures every day anyway so having to pump them daily wasn't an issue for me. Certainly worth the trade off.

FWIW, I have had the same experiences as WMW as far as resistance to flatting. The first flat I've encountered on latex was last week - my wife picked up a drywall screw on a bike path... ironically, it was right in front of a park bench where someone was sitting. Immediately after the flat, the bystander left.

djconnel

by djconnel

I think the message from Jan Heine is that at least one latex tube has more rolling resistance than at least one butyl. Light tubes are better than heavy tubes of the same type, and a heavy latex may be more RR than a very light butyl. But since he is focused on wide, low-pressure tires, generalization of his results isn't a good idea.

Latex don't age well and they don't patch well so I'll be buying more in a year or so. Maybe I'll do Vreds then. I recall having poor luck with Michelin but that was awhile ago.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

I don't believe any of the results of JH's test. BTW, I replied to your thread about his new test... I'd be interested in discussing it further there.

Latex has very low hysteresis, and butyl very high. Making a butyl tube very thin will certainly help reduce the losses, but even a thick latex tube has close to zero.
formerly rruff...

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Latex has very low hysteresis, and butyl very high. Making a butyl tube very thin will certainly help reduce the losses, but even a thick latex tube has close to zero.

Exactly.
Latex is so much more supple than butyl it will always show lower rolling resistance and as a side effect (so to speak) will lower puncture risk as well due to its ability to conform around an object.
Latex inner tubes can have a very high lifetime, can be patched as easily as butyl, can weigh about 40% less and increase comfort as well. Ask anyone that rides decent tubulars, comfort contributes to efficiency no end.

The better latex inner tubes are invariably the unpigmented ones as the addition of pigment reduces the flexibility of the material no end.

Want a great tyre? Forget about anti-puncture belts, go silk casing with high tpi count and a fine latex inner tube.
I'm pretty sure it won't puncture that easily and will be way faster and lighter than anything else out there.

Anything else is just plain marketing bullshit really.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com