Best latex tube - which one?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ste_S

by Ste_S

Had put off installing (Vittoria) latex tubes I'd bought as I'd been reading too many internet horror stories.
Did it this evening as it's not really that much harder than using butyl tubes - talc and tape over the rim valve hole.
25mm Veloflex Corsas already feel great on the bike, looking forward to trying them out with latex tubes when the weather has improved here in the UK

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

F45 wrote:Yeah but you should replace latex tubes every year, which accords to how long sealant lasts. It works out.

Sealant lasts 3-4 months here. Tubes last many years.
formerly rruff...

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

When installing latex inner tubes in combination with something along the lines like a Veloflex clincher, make sure you put on the tyre by hand.
Do not force it on with iron levers as you will experience a flat sooner or later. For sure.

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

F45 wrote:Yeah but you should replace latex tubes every year, which accords to how long sealant lasts. It works out.

My advise is to avoid sealant whenever possible, it defeats the point of using latex inner tubes + clinchers IMHO.
I have latex inner tubes that have been used for wel over ten years now with zero issues.

Cheers,

F45

by F45

WMW wrote:
Sealant lasts 3-4 months here.

Sucks that you live in the desert. Oh well.

nayr497

by nayr497

When I went to reinflate it to full volume, there was a "pffft" and it lost all the air. Looks like there was a very small hole that became a bit bigger at 100 psi. It's right at the seam.

Repair with another piece of a latex tube, have inflated to 75 psi and is holding. Going to go up to 100 psi tonight and see how it does.

Thanks for the advice! Also, I'm not using sealant. Ambrosio Excellight rims, Velox rim tape, Vredestein tube, Vittoria Corsa clincher tires.
A good day becomes a better day with a bicycle ride.

jpanspac

by jpanspac

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

When installing latex inner tubes in combination with something along the lines like a Veloflex clincher, make sure you put on the tyre by hand.
Do not force it on with iron levers as you will experience a flat sooner or later. For sure.

Cheers, ;)

Or use one of these. Works well.
http://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tire-Bead-Jack/dp/B001AYML7K
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

Ste_S

by Ste_S

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Cheers, ;)

Absolutely. Veloflex are reasonably easy to get on anyway, they ain't no Conti ;)

nayr497

by nayr497

I used to have MAJOR problems installing latex tubes and clinchers on some older Campagnolo rims. Since I've put together a wheelset with Ambrosio rims, no issues.

I'm able to install them just fine, with some patience and technique. I do use talc when working with latex tubes.

Tube seems to be holding! Still a weird puncture, but glad I got it sorted out and saved the tube. Thanks!

hyunsoo

by hyunsoo

Has anyone seen these abberations on these tubes before? The tube is effectively supposed to be new, or is it?

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

nayr497 wrote:Velox rim tape

I've found that the edges of cloth tapes can damage latex tubes. Tubeless tape run the full width of the rim bed creates a much smoother finish. And it has the added benefit that it's a) lighter b) thinner, so easier to mount tyres, and reducing the possibility of damaging the tube.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

nayr497

by nayr497

MattSoutherden wrote:
nayr497 wrote:Velox rim tape

I've found that the edges of cloth tapes can damage latex tubes. Tubeless tape run the full width of the rim bed creates a much smoother finish. And it has the added benefit that it's a) lighter b) thinner, so easier to mount tyres, and reducing the possibility of damaging the tube.

Wow, never though it would be the cloth tape.

What tape do you use or suggest? Thanks!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Wow, never though it would be the cloth tape.

Frankly I've never seen any proof of it. I've been using Velox cotton rim tape for decades and never had any issues with it.

Cheers, ;)

ms6073

by ms6073

After a couple punctures with Challenge latex tubes on my cross bike, I tried using Orange Seal's tubeless tape on our Enve Twenty9 XC clinchers. While the tubeless tape was lighter, despite two wraps around each rim, even at only 40-50 psi, the Challenge latex tubes managed to press on the tape enough that it caused the tape to form into the spoke holes of the rim which eventually caused the tape to split exposing the carbon, so I opted for the specific rim strips Enve makes for the rims.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

A2ON

by A2ON

Hi thought I would pull this thread back up.

I have a few questions before going latex.

Do people still recommend using Veloplugs over rim tape ?
http://veloplug.com/en/

Whats the preferred choice for latex tubes just now, I have read this thread and can see in the early days it was the Vredestein but that doesn't seem to be avalable now in the UK, currently running 23mm rims ( carbon giant SLR1 aero wheels 80mm ) with 25mm corsa g+ tyres

and finally and recommendation for valve extenders light and reliable black ideally :) I see plant X do some for £2 ! others are 14£ +
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSPXVE/pla ... e-extender
I dont really want longer than 80mm valves but it seems 60mm is the only option in some tubes and a 40 would make it 100mm but guess thats ok ?!

Cheers in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com