Control Tech COMP-RM carbon tubular wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

toko

by toko

Hi guys
Anybody can tell anything about these wheels :?:I think that these hubs are American Classic...
http://www.controltechbikes.com/wheels/wheels.asp
Attachments
COMP-RM-CR.gif

BikeTech

by BikeTech

Hi Toko. I had a chance to look at these wheels at Interbike. As you point out, hubs are American Classic. Seems a few engineers over in Taiwan or China have copied? the design of Zipp's rims, but the result is nothing like the original. All of the clone rims I saw at Interbike were bloated, with poor to average finishing.

Control Tech, Fetish Cycles, and Zero (from Javelin Bikes), all had very similar looking rims, presumably out of the same factory. If it were me buying them, I would steer clear of them for now. Next year though, you can guarantee the quality on these wheel related products will be vastly improved.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bikes4fun

by Bikes4fun

Any updates on these Control Tech carbon wheels?
Has anyone actually tried them?

napoleonD

by napoleonD

I've got a set. They're great. Not the lightest rim out there but then again it's a deeper section rim that's held-up really well. I think the ride quality and price (for a carbon clincher) outweigh the small weight penalty. Though they (the clincher version) are not recommended for riders over 175 lbs and have a PSI limit of 120. I've seen both styles though on ebay for under $1000.

Bikes4fun

by Bikes4fun

Hi napoleonD

I thought they were tubulars? I just got a set of the tubulars fitted with vittoria Corsa Evo KS. Will try them out tonite and see how they perform.

napoleonD

by napoleonD

They're actually made in both tubular and clincher versions. I have the clinchers which are great. I've never tried the tubies. It's cool that there's a clincher full carbon rim out there that can be purchased for that little $.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bikes4fun

by Bikes4fun

Yes, they do make tubies and clinchers.

Tried out the tubies on a century ride (km) last nite and between running in the wheel and the brakes, they were very aero and quiet. Tires were the Vittoria Corsa KS slicks. I couldn't hear the wheels spinning - very quiet bearings. Although the front wheel is very smooth, the rear wheel seems to have a lot more resistance compared to my Rolf Elans.