Red Cassette Wearing/Mileage Question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Peith

by Peith

When the Red cassette came out, I got one almost immediately, thinking that the weight savings would be worth the cost because it would wear a lot longer than a DA or Ultegra Cassette.

My question is: should I still replace a Red cassette at the same interval as I would any other cassette, or is it significantly longer wearing? (I tried searching already :noidea: )

I ask this because I haven't seen a need to replace the cassette, but I'm about to put on a brand new compact crank for the winter, and while I try to be frugal when I can, I know the importance of a properly maintained bike...I'm not going to want to deal with an over-worn drivetrain when doing extended 10% climbs!

Also, as a side note, all my teammates and I who have a red cassette are going back to shimano; quieter, and WE have seen smoother shift results with that combo. I'll definitely miss the quick cassette changes right before races with the 3-piece Red option... :cry:

Thanks for your advice/input!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

It seems to me the SRAM should wear the same as a conventional steel cassette (okay, maybe 1-1/N as long, where N is the number of teeth in your favorite cog), but last longer than a Ti-cog cassette.

WRT the noice: who cares? That's because it's a hollow drum.

WRT the shifting performance: I'd heard the chain made a bigger difference than the cassette, and SRAM is redesigning their chain. The Shimano are certainly heavier, which is more important to me. But then I don't read the shift-weenies forum.... As long as it works.
Last edited by djconnel on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peith

by Peith

Thanks, I'll look to get a new cassette :)

bcheung

by bcheung

i've had my Red cassette on for about a year now and a visual inspection hasn't shown any significant tooth wear.

It's still shifting fine, too.