TOP SECRET WHEEL INFORMATION!!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Superlite

by Superlite

I have an inside source telling me some top secret info on wheelsets to be released at interbike this year!

American Classic has a new CR350 wheelset. The rim weight will actually weigh closer to 360g vs. 350g, but it has a 23mm profile instead of the current 19mm, so aerodynamics are alot cleaner. Also as a result the rim is much stiffer then the original, about 50% stiffer. The side wall is also now machined were as it wasn'nt before. Hubs are still the same, and weight limits the same. Supposed weight is about the same as original CR350 set. Also just to let you know American classic and Rolf are the same. That is Rolf uses American classis hubs and rims, just the rims are drilled to have paired spokes and the rear hub has a higher drive side flange. Don't waste your money on the Elan's, the CR350 is the same, with the exception of the paired spokes, which make it a pain in the ass to adjust, and its $850, vs. $500 for the new CR350.

Velomax has a variant of it Ascent 2 wheelset comming out to called the Victoria. Same rim and hubs, but instead of wheelsmith XL 14/16/14 spokes it uses Wheelsmith XL 14/17/14 spokes. Also the rear wheel's spoke count is being reduced to 20 spokes, front still 18. Set is supposed to weigh in at 1370g and is intended for riders of less then 140lbs. Price $700.

Last, but not least, Ritchey is coming out with a new WCS wheelset! New hubs, same WCS rims, rear OCR. Weight to be around 1390g, supposidly no weight limit. Price $500

Hope you all enjoy this top secret info. Trying to see if I can get photos to, but don't count on it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skid

by Skid

boy, am i glad i didn't purchase yet. i was planning to buy an amclassic rear wheel. but i think i'll wait until they come out with the aerodynamic rim.

spygame

by spygame

8) but you forgot to tell about new Ritchey WCS Carbon wheels:tubular:578 and 704 g f+r and the new campa hyperon ultra Clincher full carbon(yes Clincher) with ceramic bearings...
no weight yet, but LIGHT for sure.
Did I mention that evrybody is bringing out carbon wheels??

your spy at Eurobike

by Guest

my source didnt inform me of those wheelsets, but they sound cool. Any other info? Thanks spygame.

Superlite

by Superlite

forgot to log on. Also the weight for the carbon clinchers is 1375g, not all that lite, especially for carbon, and very expensive. I'll probly end up with the new CR350, as little as 1260g at only $500!! Any other wheel or component info much appreciated.

Oh yeah, you guys like my bike, check out my post and let me know what you think, and how to make it lighter!

Core 22

by Core 22

Do you have to buy the whole wheel set or can you buy only the rims oft the AC350?

by Guest

unfortunatly American classic is only selling complete wheelsets. They claim that there not doing it because there worried that an inexperienced wheelbuilder will build them improperly and cause wheel failure and conflict with there warrenty policy. Personaly i think It's a bunch of crap, there just tired of other people buying there rims and other guys hubs. if they want us to buy there hubs they should make them lighter. At 1260g a set you still can't go wrong, but you could go lighter. :wink:

Core 22

by Core 22

Yeah. The most important problem for me ist, that the hubs do not have a high durability. I wanted to build up a wheel set with AC420 rims, Tune hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes (nice Aerodynamic [hope that's the right English word] and weight is still okay !!!). But no chance to get the rims.

Superlite

by Superlite

If you wanted to look at the for sale adds at www.roadbikereview.com They usually have the CR420 wheelsets on there for cheap, like 400-500, maybe even find them on ebay to. Good luck.

Core 22

by Core 22

Yes I know, but I'm from Germany and have to pay lots of custom taxes (about 25 % of the price) so it's getting very expensive :?

Cyco

by Cyco

A Customs tax on second hand parts? :(

Core 22

by Core 22

Don't know how they handle it in Australia. It depends on your country.

Cyco

by Cyco

Sorry Core, I probably didn't explain that comment very well. In Australia there is no import duty on second hand parts, and was inquiring is there is one in Germany?

To take advantage of this the former distributor of Lightspeed offered an arangement where if you were traveling to the US you could order and pay for your bike in Australia, and pick it up on your travels - thus taking the bike out of the country (no US sales tax) and bringing in a second hand bike (no import duty).

How strict is the German customs service? In Australia small items are generally ignored by customs as long as you don't bring in heaps of stuff...

Core 22

by Core 22

oh that would be a nice offer. I think our customs officers are very strict (especially when they probably could lose money :? ). I had nearly bought a second hand Rolf Wheel set at roadbikreview.com, but then I realised the additional costs so the cheap wheel set became very expensive (more expensive than I would had to pay for a new wheel set in Germany).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

Hey! Heres some pics of the new CR350 Wheelset. Notice the aero profile.
Attachments
2e_1.jpg
b0_1.jpg
b0_1.jpg (11.58 KiB) Viewed 4651 times