Tire size for stratus rim?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mahoney

by Mahoney

I have a reynolds stratus (tubular) front wheel and the rim is 20.5 mm wide. This is a race only wheel for sprinting on smooth crit courses. I am debating what would be a better tire the tufu <160 road tire which is 20mm wide or the tufo <120 track tire which is 18 mm wide. My question is primarily an aero dynamics question for the 'experts' out there but would the 18 mm tire actually have worse aerodynamics on a 20.5mm rim than the 20 mm? Secondly, any thoughts on other issues with these tires?

Thanks
El Mahone

zoey

by zoey

Mahoney wrote:I have a reynolds stratus (tubular) front wheel and the rim is 20.5 mm wide. This is a race only wheel for sprinting on smooth crit courses. I am debating what would be a better tire the tufu <160 road tire which is 20mm wide or the tufo <120 track tire which is 18 mm wide. My question is primarily an aero dynamics question for the 'experts' out there but would the 18 mm tire actually have worse aerodynamics on a 20.5mm rim than the 20 mm? Secondly, any thoughts on other issues with these tires?

Thanks

The 160g Tufo you can use on smooth roads the 120g is a track tire. A light tire will not do you any good if you puncture and are standing beside the road. :roll: If you are a racer pick durability and strength over light weight. Check out this thread on the rolling resistance of different tires. http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2549&highlight=tufo
Cheers,
:lol:

"Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

Click Here to see my Scott CR1.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Have you been at the Zipp website? They talk about tires and rims having a smooth transition so they are slipperier. The 20 mm should cover the rim a bit more but you would have to call it.
If you haven't already, the zipp website does talk about this.