Where is the missing 2.7lbs?!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

Ok, I'm figuring out the weight of my bike exactly. I had it measured on the local shop's scales and it came out as 17.lbs. Not very light I know, now here is the problem...I figured out the weight bit by bit and it came out at 7113gms, clearly wrong. Now where did I go wrong? I can't see where! Help! :?

Frame: Trek 5500 OCLV: 1320
Groupset: Ultegra (excl. hubs): 2603
Bars: 3T Prima: 190
Stem: ITM Millennium: 140
Pedals: Dura Ace SPD-SL: 270
Seat post: Record Carbon: 185
Saddle: SLR XP: 165
Wheels: Ksyrium SL SSC's: 1600
Bottle Cage: Bottle Cage: 40
Tyres: Pro Race tyres: 460 (pair)

Total: 7113

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wally318

by wally318

Hello Pete. The way I see it you have several problems going on here. First of all 7113 grs. = 15.67 lbs. or a difference of only 1.33 lbs. But your parts list totals only 6973 grs.= 15.35 lbs. or A DIFF. of 1.64 lbs. neither close to 2.74 lbs. There could be a discrepency in your shop's scale? Did you weigh all of the parts that came off the bike? Some of figures from your parts list suggest that you might have been using manufacture's quoted weights which are almost never even close( one of the founding reasons I'm sure of for weight weenie's existence) might account for the difference. The only shure fire way is to weigh all the parts separately, or groups eg. wheel. bar /stem, seat/post and then tally up and compare to a total weight if that's important to you. Keep in mind that both scales should be fairly accurate.

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

Ah, couple of typos in there! The weight originally, before new pedals and saddle was 17.9lbs.

The frame on it's own weighs 1460. Although found that on Trek's own site.

karlux

by karlux

I have an expierence for over than 3 years of creating lightweight bikes and I know one thing for sure - you allways have to take in consideration "falsity ratio", that's about 10% of bike weight. Now my bikes start to weigt normaly as I was planing before.
Allways find third person's rewievs about weight!
Light weight everything!

17bex

by 17bex

Pete
I stripped down a mates trek 5200 recently to weigh all the parts. the frame and fork weighed 1850 g and 105 for aheadset. The frame should be the same as yours...
Other items possibly missing, inner tubes, chain, headset. Also as said before the components probably weigh more than quoted by manufacturers. Prima 199 bars are definitely not that weight, I have 42cm width ones and they weigh 194g. The ultegra brakes are a lot heavier than quoted too.
Hop ethis helps/...

17bex

by 17bex

Feel free to email me on david@midoxon.co.uk, if you want any of the other actual weights, from the strip down we did. Most of it was ultegra with Ksyriums SL wheels...
regards
17b

Superlite

by Superlite

Up your butt!

Superlite

by Superlite

Just Kidding! :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com