HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 79  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bont shoes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:40 am 

A hairdryer will work well enough. No need for heat guns.

That's how I heat molded the entire shoe(s) since the mini toaster oven in my kitchen didn't even have a temperature setting.

You'll need to be pretty patient though.

I basically set my hairdryer to medium setting and set it to blow into the cavity of the shoe by resting them on the floor and let the heat build up for 5 or more minutes. Check if the carbon has softened that little bit every other minute thereafter. Then alternate by heating from the outside area too till some compliance in the shoe shell area is detected.

If you're getting hotspots, use the blunt end of a household tool such as a small screwdriver or any hand tool with a hard, bulbous rear end and push out those hot spots. Basically something with a diameter of about half an inch would work great.

It took me a total of 3 to 4 molding sessions to get everything sorted out this way but its been well worth the effort in my opinion.

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:40 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:26 pm 

ToeOverlap wrote:
Has anyone tried using a heat gun rather than a hair dryer to spot soften the carbon 'tub'?

Yes, I did that with my Bont shoes. I bought a heat gun with various settings some of which are low enough to match the suggested temperature for molding. Worked for me -- just be careful not to overheat the shoe.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:42 am 

I'm looking into buying the new Bont Vaypor plus and have a question about problems with knee pain I have suffered from in the past.

Basically the only brand that i dont get knee pain from is Specialized, but i think their shoes are to narrow so i would like to try the Vaypor.

I've got some cleat wedges like this http://www.bikefit.com/p-7-8-pack-look-cleat-wedges.aspx

Does any of you know how many i have to put under each shoe to get the same tilt as Sepcialized Body Geometri?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:34 am 

CharlesM wrote:
They don't look much for ventilation... That would be my sticking point.

As for other customs, I pretty much love D2...

Wiggins wore them at last years tour

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:14 pm 

rkristensen wrote:
I'm looking into buying the new Bont Vaypor plus and have a question about problems with knee pain I have suffered from in the past.

Basically the only brand that i dont get knee pain from is Specialized, but i think their shoes are to narrow so i would like to try the Vaypor.

I've got some cleat wedges like this http://www.bikefit.com/p-7-8-pack-look-cleat-wedges.aspx

Does any of you know how many i have to put under each shoe to get the same tilt as Sepcialized Body Geometri?

I think Spec shoes just have a forefoot tilt built into the last. You can replicate that by using the Spec in-shoe wedges. Just trim them to match the shape of the Bont insole.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:37 pm 

If I set the shoes down with cleats flat on the table (speedplays), it looks to me like there's a 1-2 deg tilt similar to that of the specialized shoes. I could be wrong though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:35 am 

I am considering the original laced bont zero shoes. I was wondering how the fits is. I am a 45A and I currently have giro empires which have a little to much volume for my taste.

Post subject: Bont shoes
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:21 pm 

I purchased some bonts a week ago, after heat moulding the fit is pretty good, but at the back of the shoe it keeps digging in around the top of my heel, I've heated and tried to stretch it out with no luck.. Hope with a little more work it will come good

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:41 pm 

A good soaking in a long rain ride did more for my Bont's fitting well than the 2nd and 3rd heat moldings.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:06 am 

Bought a pair of Vaypor WCE two days ago, (wanted the normal white, but the local importer only had white/pink or WCE in my size..)

Molded them last night, right foot 3 times, left foot twice, took a quick spin on the trainer, was a bit strange feeling in the beginning, but after a few km, my feet started to feel at home, tried to put some power down and the comfort really shined! at the end of a 45 mins session my feet never felt so comfortable in a pair of cycling shoes before.

Re. sizing, I took very precise measurements (actually used a vernier caliper) following the instructions on Bont's site, went to the importer, tried on 3 pairs, the Bont suggested size, 1 size bigger and 1 size smaller, and finally settled on the recommended size which gave me about 3mm spacing in front of the longest toe on the longer foot.

Hope to give them a proper spin on the weekend to see how they perform in the real world.. cheers! :beerchug:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:10 pm 

coloclimber wrote:
A good soaking in a long rain ride did more for my Bont's fitting well than the 2nd and 3rd heat moldings.

Sorry for the OT, but been ages since seeing your posts or did I just miss them?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:43 am 

Ok, Bont measurements put me in a 44 narrow. I've tried a 44 regular and even with those, the aggressive slant after the longest toes is too much for my foot and rubs the ends of my 3rd and 4th toes. Although I can't try them on before buying, is it worth trying to go with a 44 Wide and then mould up the spare room around the rest of the foot?

Anyone have experiences buying Wide and then shinking?

Fwiw- I'm a 44.5 Sidi which always seems to work but I crave more power transfer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:38 pm 

Not to try and turn you away from Bont but since you said Sidi works for you have you considered the Sidi Wire? I rode a pair for a bit and they were extremely stiff The sole was as hard as anything from Bont and the upper was fair firm as well, granted not a carbon bath tube but still pretty solid. I feel like the possible tiny loss of power transfer wouldn't be worth it if your shoes don't feel good...

In comparison, the Sidi Wire's felt much more solid/stiff like a pair of Bont's than the Specialized S-works 2013 that were more like slippers or socks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:27 pm 

Cool, will hunt the end of season sales for a pair of them then...

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:27 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:39 pm 
in the industry

ultyguy wrote:
Ok, Bont measurements put me in a 44 narrow. I've tried a 44 regular and even with those, the aggressive slant after the longest toes is too much for my foot and rubs the ends of my 3rd and 4th toes. Although I can't try them on before buying, is it worth trying to go with a 44 Wide and then mould up the spare room around the rest of the foot?

I have the same toe issue. I just got some A3s on closeout. Measuring put me at a 42.5W or 44 regular. I split the difference and got a 43, which was way to short for my middle toe. So I ordered 44.5 and will see...

I'm guessing the problem for you also is length, so I wouldn't go wider. If the width feels ok in the rest of your foot, just go longer... probably a 45 narrow.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 79  Next