HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 78  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bont shoes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:15 am 

Long time lurker, first time poster, be kind to me.

I am looking for a new pair of road shoes to replace my Sidis. I have wide feet and after a long search I have narrowed the choices to Bont Vaypor(or Vaypor+) or Lake CX331. If you were buying Vaypors at this moment would you spend the extra 30euros to get the Vaypor+? I really dont have experience in the BOA-style closing method, but I have read a lot of good things about it. I will be using the shoes with Speedplay pedals.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:46 am 

Hi mate.
I've got a pair of 2012 S-Works (the older style) with BOA dials, and also 2012 Bont Vaypor with the standard strap and ratchet.
One of the blokes I ride with has the 2013 S-Works and the 2013 Vapor + (the ones with ATOP dials) and he reckons that BOA on the S-Works is heaps better than the ATOP on his Vapor+.
I personally can't comment as I've only got the older BOA, tho saying that, they're awesome, and to be honest, so are the strap and ratchet system on my Bonts.
I would personally save the 30 euro, buy the Vaypors, or buy the Vaypors and spend the other 30 euros on some more bike goodies :)

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:46 am 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:43 am 

MarkGiardini wrote:
Hi mate.
I've got a pair of 2012 S-Works (the older style) with BOA dials, and also 2012 Bont Vaypor with the standard strap and ratchet.
One of the blokes I ride with has the 2013 S-Works and the 2013 Vapor + (the ones with ATOP dials) and he reckons that BOA on the S-Works is heaps better than the ATOP on his Vapor+.
I personally can't comment as I've only got the older BOA, tho saying that, they're awesome, and to be honest, so are the strap and ratchet system on my Bonts.
I would personally save the 30 euro, buy the Vaypors, or buy the Vaypors and spend the other 30 euros on some more bike goodies :)

Ok, but if someone who has tried both of the Vaypors could comment on this I would be the happiest camper in Finland. Anyhow I am ordering the shoes tomorrow because the quoted delivery time is 6-8 weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:59 pm 

if you do a search on this sight, I think you will find that the ATOP dials on the Bonts have had some reliability issues. You are safer getting the standard closures.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:00 pm 

spud wrote:
if you do a search on this sight, I think you will find that the ATOP dials on the Bonts have had some reliability issues. You are safer getting the standard closures.

Ok, will do

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:52 am 

I'm getting really bad achilles rub or when the rear of my CTT-ones dig into my achilles when my foot isn't perfectly flat and it eventually rubs my skin raw. Also the arch support is a bit high. Any tips other than repeatedly mold them?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:07 am 

If its very specific areas of discomfort, would suggest using a hair dryer to heat those areas directly and prod/ push/ mold those areas to your comfort and liking.
That's what I did for my Vaypor. Takes a bit of time and effort but well worth it as done right, the shoe is really comfortable.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:22 pm 

I've used CTT-1, Vaypor, and Vaypor Plus now.

The heel problem mentioned above is more common with the CTT-1's. I had the problem with them as well. Bont seems to have addressed it with the Vaypor series.

The Vaypor Plus has a different sole, different upper, and different fastening system. The real thing to look at when considering the Plus's is simply the upper. You'll get a somewhat stiffer and slightly different shaped sole (also one that looks a little less homemade) and the BOA fasteners, but the upper feels quite different and either fits you or doesn't. It doesn't adapt with heat treatment like the sole, but does change significantly when you reshape the sole. So it's a little more of a throw of the dice, but if it works (it worked for me) it's superb.

The issue with the BOA fasteners is that some people just push the button and don't control the flow of the wire in and out of the reel. That causes them to jam and ultimately break. When you release them, push the button with some tension on the reel so it unwinds smoothly. Then keep tension on the flap when you tighten up again. That's all it takes. Don't let the wire wind up or unwind without tension. They are superb as long as you take care of them. The new BOAs are also extremely easy to replace and replacement units are cheap, so they are definitely something to keep in your bag.

Sadly the only way to tell if the Vaypor Plus version is best for you is to try them. And you won't know until you've heat treated them to perfection.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:16 pm 

Does anyone know if you can still get custom colors in Bont without going full custom? The option seems to no longer be on the website...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:07 pm 

or if you can get speedplay soles?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:10 pm 

tk2306 wrote:
hubert222 wrote:
Anyone have experience on Bont zero ?

I have a pair bought from a fellow weight weenie as well as a pair of vaypors. I actually prefer my zeros the fit feels better however i feel the sole is less stiff. It is not noticeable while riding but when walking i can feel the cleat flexing the shoe very slightly which does not happen with the vaypors. Also the zeros carbon bathtub seems to be more easily molded. Great shoes! :thumbup:

P.S.
If you ride bit km's the zeros are probably not going to last you long as the upper material is rather fragile and has no toe bumper. I generally use mine for races only now.

Thx for your information, Will you buy Zero plus in the future ?want to buy a pair of them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:18 pm 

I've been thinking about some Bonts again.

I'm looking between the Vaypor + and Zero +

But nowhere can I find any real infomation on the actual differences, beyond visual, to the 2 models. Why would I plug for one rather than the other.

Is anyone able to help?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:56 pm 

skinnyrider wrote:

But nowhere can I find any real infomation on the actual differences, beyond visual, to the 2 models. Why would I plug for one rather than the other.

Is anyone able to help?

I don't know the differences, but I have a pair of the Zeros and now the Zero +, both custom, and the Zero + is obviously a step forward. Very nice shoes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:31 am 

skinnyrider wrote:

Is anyone able to help?

already order a pair of Zero + , hope it fits me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:15 am 

According to Bont website, the sole now features uni directional, mat finish carbon fiber. That appears to be the only difference to the sole from the original Vaypor. I've never had a sole as stiff as those on my Vaypor, so I would be surprised if the sole on the Vaypor + are significantly stiffer or better. I'd say the majority of the change on the shoes is cosmetic.

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:15 am 

Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 78  Next