Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rmerka

by rmerka

kdawg wrote:Anyone else have this problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR7NyeA_GbY&

Had mine about 6 months now but if do them up - not supertight, but just firm - and they pop straight away, then when I get up to walk to my bike they pop again, sometimes they go slack just riding along.

Can't see the video but I know exactly what you're talking about and I bet the dials are the ATOP ones. I posted about it on page 74. When I went back to Bont to try and warranty the shoes they immediately stopped responding to any of my emails. Worst customer service I've seen in quite a while.

kdawg

by kdawg

Sorry, fixed it now. It's not the dials - I've got ratchets. I was wishing I'd got dials but maybe that's not right then.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmerka

by rmerka

Wow, my atop dials do the exact same thing, pop loose when even moderately stressed.

Cattiy

by Cattiy

Hello,

i am a Speedplay User and want to buy Bont Vaypors.

The question is, should I buy the specific Speedplay sole?
The shop where I want to buy the Bonts told me, that Speedplay Bonts are heavier and the sole is thicker than the SPD sole, so that there is no advantage in stack height?

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I'm now on my 3rd or 4th go-round w/ bont shoes. After a few different tries, I came to the conclusion they were just not for my feet. I recently had a fitting where they picked up (and corrected) a leg length discrepancy and I happened to win a pair on ebay for very little shortly after. I just tried them out today (the vaypors with the buckle and 1 velcro strap) on a hilly 100k ride and it was quite different than my previous experiences with them. I'll give it a few more rides to see if my feet are ok with them, but there is just nothing else I've used/worn that feels as connected to the pedals as these shoes.
Speedplay is the devil!

spud

by spud

my Vaypor plus started out quite comfortable, and have only gotten better. I use a Specialized insole that probably needed to form a little bit, but the more time I spend in them, the more comfortable they are. Just wish they had better ventilation, though I haven't really had any complaints this summer.

esfrost

by esfrost

I'm using the lower end Bont CTT3, got them on ebay for super cheap... I just love them to bits. Stiffest shoes ever. I had some hot points here and there, but they all disappeared over time. I only heat moulded them once. When its 40+ celsius outside, i use them with well ventilated socks, like the Defeet Aireator, they have different weaving. Don't have any kind of heat problem with them.

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

....and finally, The latest Vaypor + shoe comes with BOA dials and not the ATOP wannabe ones!

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Yeah, Boa the way to go. Used to have specialized with boa, and now Lake with Boa, never had one pop. That is a lie actually, a dude hit a cone in a race, I somehow barely swerved to miss it, my left foot hit the cone and it struck the boa, ripping part of it off...Ordered replacements (would recommend you just buy some spares to have on hand, because like me, if this happens, you have no shoe that can tighten).

So, it took hitting a cone at 28mph for the Boa to pop..haha..

liketoride

by liketoride

how much do the vapors + or zero + really weigh? Their website use to say 190 and now said 230? Thanks

iamalex

by iamalex

Anyone think Vaypor+ shoes with the ATOP dials can be updated with the BOA ones?

HAKS

by HAKS

iamalex wrote:Anyone think Vaypor+ shoes with the ATOP dials can be updated with the BOA ones?

Nope. I looked into it a few pages back here. Someone kindly posted (Apr 11 2014, bottom of page 74 for me) high resolution shots of the BOAs on them and from what I could tell it couldn't be easily done. I think you would have to un-stitch the part of the ATOP reel sewn into the shoe and replace with BOA which is def beyond anything I was willing to do. I emailed both Bont and BOA asking for info. Bont never replied which is what I have come to expect from them and BOA refused to supply any info as they said it was commercial in confidence.

However happy to be proven wrong as I would love to change mine over.

dgran

by dgran

I'm looking seriously at getting a pair of Vaypor+ shoes for my wife, but I have two questions I'm hoping someone could help with:

1) These don't seem to be sold in men/women sizing. Given the breadth of choice in widths I'm assuming their is no reason for such a distinction. Any women who have used these who can attest to this for me?
2) She has ridden Sidi Genius shoes for the past ~15 years but in recent time the lack of good ventilation is making them uncomfortable for long riding. How is the ventilation on Bonts?

Many thanks!

AGW

by AGW

What have you guys experienced with Bont's drilling vis-a-vis a ball-of-foot cleat placement? I like my cleats centered over my 1st/2nd metatarsal, and I'd rather a pair of shoes come drilled close to that rather than requiring drillium (especially since it's not a radical position).

Also, NOS A-Three vs Riot... a wash or is one particularly more worthy than the other?

spud

by spud

my A-1s required me to redrill the mounts to get the cleat far enough forward. Did not have to do so for my Vaypor plus, though the cleat is shoved all the way forward.

So far as sizing goes, use the wizard on the website. Prior to it's intro, I measured my foot and came up with a size, in reality it was half a size small - fine for indoor trainer rides (since my feet aren't oddly shaped), but not what I'd want outdoors for 3+ hours. Width was also accommodated using the size wizard, and it worked well for me - I'm in regular width. I had thoughts of ordering narrows as I like a snug shoe, but was convinced not to by the shop I ordered from, and they were right.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com