Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattyb95

by mattyb95

srshaw wrote:Are Bonts still imported into the UK? Most shops seems to have just odd sizes. I have managed to pick up some riots and would like to buy zeroes but can't find them anywhere.

I gather Bont are trying to sort out a UK distributor at the moment which is why supplies seem short in common sizes. Wiggle is showing new stock of Vaypor S by end of March so maybe they are nearly there on finalising a deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Currently have some Bont Blitz which just got trashed in a minor off. Should get replaced under insurance.

But thinking of going up to Vaypor + or Vaypor S and was wondering if the extra money is worth it.

Don't race, but like the shoes And would like some feedback on experiences.

Thanks

Michael

109er

by 109er

As far as comfort goes, you might be able to tell a minor difference. I know the website claims the sole may be stiffer, I just can't tell. The upper is different, yes....but for me the upper material is probably the least important aspect of these shoes...within reason. Of course if they used a trashbag for the upper material, you would notice a difference. But going from the microfiber to the Durolite, I can't tell much in the way of comfort or fit. The main thing is just getting the mold correct, or as close to the Blitz. The moldability in the newer shoes is a little less so than the older ones or the "lower pricepoint" Bonts. Again, this is just my opinion.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

sychen

by sychen

Just bought a pair of vapour + on sale... Trying to heat mold... The recommended 70deg in the oven doesn't seem to soften the carbon much.

Any recommendations on higher temps? 80/90 ok?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

How sure are you on that temperature number? I got a decent over thermometer because my cheapo oven's was wildly inaccurate.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Most of the cheaper ovens are pretty inaccurate with the temperature settings, especially at the lower end.

Would recommend as suggested above to get a separate oven thermometer.

If its not possible to get a proper thermometer, perhaps let the oven sit for at least 15minutes at the temperature setting before putting the shoes in. Wouldn't want to try a higher temperature though as it may damage the shoes.

sychen

by sychen

It's a pretty high end oven with preset temp readouts.. Would of thought it accurate enough but have not tested with secondary thermometer. Have left in there for 25min at 70deg..still pretty hard. With barely any change when pressed with the end of a screw driver

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Thanks 109er.

I'll see what the insurance comes back with and see if I can try some on at a local shop.

mai

by mai

remember to take the inner soles out.... forgot to do that when i baked my vaypor s and the inner soles shrank to around half the size... :(

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I've worn my new Bont Vaypor S shoes for a few hundred miles now and am ready to share...

As background, I've been happily wearing the original Vaypor (sz 42.5) for the past 5 seasons! Not only did they refuse to wear out, they were an absolute dream to wear. After a couple of minor heat molding sessions, they held my feet just right with no hot spots - not too tightly and not too loose. They fit so well the velcro straps didn't seem necessary at all. A middle toe or two on both feet would occasionally hit the end of the toe box, but never enough to bother me enough to heat mold them again. After five seasons, I said enough is enough and moved on to the Vaypor S.

The Vaypor S (sz 43) fits differently, but the results are similarly positive. Bont seems to have changed their sizing chart / measurements, but even so the original Vaypor sz 42.5 is a hair shorter than the Vaypor S sz 43. The ends of my toes appreciate the extra room in the Vaypor S, but they don't hold my feet as securely. As nemeses wrote, I feel like I have to crank down on the two BOAs to make the shoes tight enough on my feet. When I walk in them, my heel lifts. When I ride, I don't get that same sensation. In the end, I'm not sure that it's even a big deal cranking down the BOAs because the Vaypor S shoes are never so tight they hurt or are cutting off the blood flow. Keep in mind, the velcro straps on my Vaypor shoes only need to be gently pulled into place - they honestly aren't even necessary, so I never pulled them tight. Hope this comparison makes sense!

nemeseri wrote:I'm testing my Vaypor Sprints in 42 (260mm) ... When I really want to I can move my heel slightly to the side in the shoe too.

Weights of my Bont shoes (or how things change but more or less stay the same):

* Original A1s (sz 42.5W) = 507g/pair including the insole (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=61797&p=725288&hilit=Bont+vaypor#p725288)

* Vaypor shoes (sz 42.5) = 522g/pair including the insole

* Vaypor S (sz 43) = just under 500g/pair including the insole (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=61797&p=1208232#p1208232)

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Oh, my! These are outstanding on so many fronts.

In my humble opinion, the three color schemes for Bont's new Vaypor S are boring: (1) white, (2) black and (3) black with one little white stripe.

I went with the white ones and never considered the all black version; however, I was tempted by the striped version. I wished there was a 4th option: white with a black stripe or two. VOILA! I could do without the Bont branding on the heel cup, but whatever.

Bont says their custom program (My Bont) will be live in the USA with the Vaypor S later this year or next. I couldn't wait. Argh.

danbjpa wrote:From Bont facebook... Vaypor+ 2016

jamr1

by jamr1

I purchased the "S" in 46 and 46.5 because size wizzard said right foot 46 and left 46.5
In home 46 is too tight on left foot and 46.5 has heel movement on right foot.
On bike is different. The 46 is snug but not uncomfortable but if i need a different insole (specialized blue) it is uncomfortable
The 46.5 fits the specialized insole but although right heel doesn't move as much as in home, its not as secure as 46.
I have read a report that with a bake you can push the front out 5mm but that seems unrealistic? im going to bake the 46 and try to punch the front out but my oven heat starts at 170F (76.7K) 10 degrees F higher than Bont instructs.
What do I do?

Johnny Rad wrote:I've worn my new Bont Vaypor S shoes for a few hundred miles now and am ready to share...

As background, I've been happily wearing the original Vaypor (sz 42.5) for the past 5 seasons! Not only did they refuse to wear out, they were an absolute dream to wear. After a couple of minor heat molding sessions, they held my feet just right with no hot spots - not too tightly and not too loose. They fit so well the velcro straps didn't seem necessary at all. A middle toe or two on both feet would occasionally hit the end of the toe box, but never enough to bother me enough to heat mold them again. After five seasons, I said enough is enough and moved on to the Vaypor S.

The Vaypor S (sz 43) fits differently, but the results are similarly positive. Bont seems to have changed their sizing chart / measurements, but even so the original Vaypor sz 42.5 is a hair shorter than the Vaypor S sz 43. The ends of my toes appreciate the extra room in the Vaypor S, but they don't hold my feet as securely. As nemeses wrote, I feel like I have to crank down on the two BOAs to make the shoes tight enough on my feet. When I walk in them, my heel lifts. When I ride, I don't get that same sensation. In the end, I'm not sure that it's even a big deal cranking down the BOAs because the Vaypor S shoes are never so tight they hurt or are cutting off the blood flow. Keep in mind, the velcro straps on my Vaypor shoes only need to be gently pulled into place - they honestly aren't even necessary, so I never pulled them tight. Hope this comparison makes sense!

nemeseri wrote:I'm testing my Vaypor Sprints in 42 (260mm) ... When I really want to I can move my heel slightly to the side in the shoe too.

Weights of my Bont shoes (or how things change but more or less stay the same):

* Original A1s (sz 42.5W) = 507g/pair including the insole (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=61797&p=725288&hilit=Bont+vaypor#p725288)

* Vaypor shoes (sz 42.5) = 522g/pair including the insole

* Vaypor S (sz 43) = just under 500g/pair including the insole (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=61797&p=1208232#p1208232)

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

jamr1 wrote:...my oven heat starts at 170F (76.7K) 10 degrees F higher than Bont instructs...

It's exactly the same with my oven. However, I find that 20min at 170F is barely enough to get the shoes soft enough to mold. My shoes didn't melt, so I think you'll be ok as well (fingers crossed!). Be sure to mold them WITHOUT the insole and cleats. Good luck with your sizing and oven dilemma.

I miss my original Vaypor shoes as they cupped my feet seemingly perfectly, but my new Vaypor S shoes are still good to go after a couple hundred miles. I've got no hot spots. They're not too loose and there's on noticeable heel lift on the bike. Happily, they're not too tight with the BOAs ratcheted down tight either.

nickcube

by nickcube

Probably not the most appropriate question for this in a road forum but does anyone know when Bont will update the Vaypor XC? I'm keen on a pair but if I'm spending that much money on a pair I'd really like to have Boa dials on them, cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Alright, I swear I've used the search function and have googled it, can't find a solid answer comparing these two shoes. I'm sure its somewhere in the 93 pages that the search isn't pulling up..

Just seeing if anyone has used Giro Empires and some of the Bont Vaypors???? (specifically looking at Vaypor S, but any info should do)

Curious as to what size you are in the Empires versus the Bonts!? Im wearing a 44 in the Giro Empires and a 43.5 in most other Giro shoes, Sidi's, and Shimano shoes... what size Vaypors should I buy?