Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

With nearly 1K mi on my Vaypor S shoes, here's my thoughts: Bottomline is the Vaypor S is a very good, but not great shoe in comparison to their earlier (original) Vaypor.

I’ve worn various Sidi’s (standards, 6.6, etc) and they never made it more than 1-2 seasons before falling apart. After happily wearing Bonts for the past 6 seasons and counting, I don’t even consider Sidi’s anymore.

In 2011, I bought a pair of Vaypor shoes (sz 42.5) and they were the definition of awesome from day one. After a couple of heat molding sessions early on, they fit 99.9% perfectly. What I liked best about them was the fit – the Velcro strap honestly didn’t seem necessary at all as the shoe held my feet just right, not too tight and not too loose. A perfect fit?! I had zero hot spots and never needed to adjust the Velcro strap over the course of a long ride - in part because it didn't matter if they were tight or loose because the shoe just cupped my feet so perfectly. The only thing I didn’t like about them was that they never wore out. Seriously. I waited and waited.

Earlier this year, I gave up waiting for my Vaypor shoes to fall apart when I saw Bont's good looking Vaypor S shoes. I bought a pair (sz 43) based on Bont's advice and they’re very good, but not great. Between the sizing change (?) and slightly longer Vaypor S shoe (sz 42.5 vs 43), I like that my toes never graze the end of the end of the toes box, but the shoe feels roomier all over and they don’t hold my feet anywhere like my original Vaypor shoes. The BOA dials work fine, but I find myself tightening all four (two on each shoe) a couple of times per ride like the wires or shoes themselves are stretching out. Also, I ride a smaller frame road bike and get toe overlap. The front toe bumper on the Vaypor S is just low enough that I’ve had my tire rub the tip of the shoes a few times so there’s a small amount of leather beginning to get marked up. This didn’t happen with my original Vaypor shoes as they have a slightly taller front toe bumper.

I’m half considering going back to my original Vaypor shoes, but I realize the white has yellowed a bit over time (I wore them for 5yrs!) and the Vaypor S shoes look just that much better. There's nothing wrong with the Vaypor S shoes and they're in fact a very good shoe, but I'm likely going to cheat on them sooner than later - well before 5yrs this time!

Here's my previous Bont Vaypor S comments: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36516&p=1222944&hilit=bont+vaypor#p1222944

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Good post.

Interesting what you say about the boas. I'm on the original Vaypor and loving them, although like yours, my white Vaypors have yellowed.

I've resisted going to Vaypor S because of the boas. My experience with boas (on S-Works) have not been great - exactly the same as you, always having to tighten them mid ride, never need to touch the velcro / ratchet on Vaypors. I came to the conclusion that the boas were slipping but maybe you are right it's the cable stretching.

Might need to try laces with the Vaypor Classic...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lewolive

by lewolive

Gearjunkie wrote:Good post.

Interesting what you say about the boas. I'm on the original Vaypor and loving them, although like yours, my white Vaypors have yellowed.

I've resisted going to Vaypor S because of the boas. My experience with boas (on S-Works) have not been great - exactly the same as you, always having to tighten them mid ride, never need to touch the velcro / ratchet on Vaypors. I came to the conclusion that the boas were slipping but maybe you are right it's the cable stretching.

Might need to try laces with the Vaypor Classic...

Most of the time, when I need to tighten my shoes during the ride, it's because I've lost water in my body, let's say 1-2 liters. Since the adjustment is precise it can come from there. Feet are breathing too, you know that when you ride Velotoze overshoes and guess the quantity of water vaporized during the ride that is still inside socks/shoes !

romalor

by romalor

deleted, unsolisicted advertising.

Liggero

by Liggero

Johnny Rad wrote:With nearly 1K mi on my Vaypor S shoes, here's my thoughts: Bottomline is the Vaypor S is a very good, but not great shoe in comparison to their earlier (original) Vaypor.

I’ve worn various Sidi’s (standards, 6.6, etc) and they never made it more than 1-2 seasons before falling apart. After happily wearing Bonts for the past 6 seasons and counting, I don’t even consider Sidi’s anymore.

In 2011, I bought a pair of Vaypor shoes (sz 42.5) and they were the definition of awesome from day one. After a couple of heat molding sessions early on, they fit 99.9% perfectly. What I liked best about them was the fit – the Velcro strap honestly didn’t seem necessary at all as the shoe held my feet just right, not too tight and not too loose. A perfect fit?! I had zero hot spots and never needed to adjust the Velcro strap over the course of a long ride - in part because it didn't matter if they were tight or loose because the shoe just cupped my feet so perfectly. The only thing I didn’t like about them was that they never wore out. Seriously. I waited and waited.

Earlier this year, I gave up waiting for my Vaypor shoes to fall apart when I saw Bont's good looking Vaypor S shoes. I bought a pair (sz 43) based on Bont's advice and they’re very good, but not great. Between the sizing change (?) and slightly longer Vaypor S shoe (sz 42.5 vs 43), I like that my toes never graze the end of the end of the toes box, but the shoe feels roomier all over and they don’t hold my feet anywhere like my original Vaypor shoes. The BOA dials work fine, but I find myself tightening all four (two on each shoe) a couple of times per ride like the wires or shoes themselves are stretching out. Also, I ride a smaller frame road bike and get toe overlap. The front toe bumper on the Vaypor S is just low enough that I’ve had my tire rub the tip of the shoes a few times so there’s a small amount of leather beginning to get marked up. This didn’t happen with my original Vaypor shoes as they have a slightly taller front toe bumper.

I’m half considering going back to my original Vaypor shoes, but I realize the white has yellowed a bit over time (I wore them for 5yrs!) and the Vaypor S shoes look just that much better. There's nothing wrong with the Vaypor S shoes and they're in fact a very good shoe, but I'm likely going to cheat on them sooner than later - well before 5yrs this time!

Here's my previous Bont Vaypor S comments: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36516&p=1222944&hilit=bont+vaypor#p1222944

such a suspicious post, sounds like you sell bonts: I openend a thread trying to compare durability of sidi's versus BOnt's. All people concluded that apart from fit, sidi's last for ever and bont an break easily, specially the sole. Your experience is exactly the oposite. Quite suspicious really.

So tired of dealers and sellers showing up in forums or website comments with fake opinion on products...
Happy Trails !!!

liketoride

by liketoride

Well I don't walk around in my vapor + and besides scratches on the bottom of the shoe from miss clip in's after 3 years they still look new. I had a boa lace bust but fixed it in a couple of days. Never been on sidi but much improved over the mavics I had before

etownfwd

by etownfwd

@ Liggero - I have two pairs of Bonts, one an A-One and the other a Cervelo Test Team pre-Vaypor model and I can attest to everything that Johnny Rad said is true for me. I switched from Shimano shoes to Bonts and I love my A-Ones.

I appreciate your skepticism, but just because someone doesn't agree with your view doesn't necessarily mean that they have some ulterior motive. Oh and no, I am not a Bont dealer, I am merely a very satisfied customer.

-efwd

Ebruner

by Ebruner

I ride 10,000 + miles a year. I have worm most major brands over the least 30 years, and have over 40,000 in Bont shoes. ZERO problems. And I certainly do not work for Bont.

-Eddie Bruner

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Liggero wrote:...such a suspicious post, sounds like you sell bonts ... So tired of dealers and sellers showing up in forums or website comments with fake opinion on products...

Hold on, champ. We don't have to agree. And it doesn't have to be a conspiracy when we don't. Suggest you do some simple research on my prev posts before you throw stones from your glass house.

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

I just got my first pair of Bont shoes, Vaypor S. The fit overall is very good without the heat molding, but I would like to fine-tune the fit by heat molding. I realize you need to remove the insoles and cleats, but is it ok to keep the BOA device on when putting in oven? My concern is that the Boa cables would melt.

tk2306

by tk2306

Yep totally fine to keep the boa on. Just make sure the temperature is set correctly and don't get Celsius/Fahrenheit mixed up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newforker

by newforker

First ride on my Blitz's yesterday and am really impressed. Stiff and light. Glad I measured my feet as per the Bont Wizard. A1!

xplaza

by xplaza

Can anyone compare the Blitz and Vaypor S toe box?

Shrike

by Shrike

I have the Bont A3s.

Started to hate them. They're like boats, feel a bit spongey too. Easy to get numb feet even when they're not tight.

Want something shaped more like a regular shoe, but light. Are all Bonts similar? Thinking to try Giro Empires, they look kinda normalish.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com