Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brainvacation77

by brainvacation77

just providing some tip on my recently acquired vaypors.

it took about three trys in the oven to get a good mold.

i sized up a half size from my sidis, knowing that i would replace the thin insoles.
i put in the specialized bg fit, which give the shoe a better snug feeling.

and a blow dryer on the achilles worked great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

now that I have my foot issues worked out (right foot needed an e-soles insole), I gave my old a-1's a try. A few shorter rides (<50mi) and then after a 73 mile ride, I gave them to my sister-in-law's husband, who just started cycling. They're not working for me, they fit him well and I figure it'll be pretty funny for someone who just started riding 3 weeks ago to go riding w/ a pair of top end cycling shoes.
Speedplay is the devil!

coppercook62

by coppercook62

first time poster but I thought i could add something to this thread.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1404/510 ... 9f58_z.jpg
These are my custom Bonts I had made. I have a severe birth defect in my left foot. I did a lot of research on shoes before i settled on Bont's. The reason I went with them is they take a mold of your entire foot and then build the shoe around them. I know my case is extrem, but after receiving my shoes I rode 20 miles pain free for the first time ever. My miles have gone way up because of this. They weren't cheap but i dont think you can put a price on comfort. I also in cluded a picture of my feet so you can get a sense what I am dealing with.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1089/510 ... 4368_z.jpg

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

... And I thought it was a pain in the a55 having feet that were just over half a size different. :unbelievable:
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

gumgardner

by gumgardner

coppercook62 wrote:first time poster but I thought i could add something to this thread.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1404/510 ... 9f58_z.jpg
These are my custom Bonts I had made. I have a severe birth defect in my left foot. I did a lot of research on shoes before i settled on Bont's. The reason I went with them is they take a mold of your entire foot and then build the shoe around them. I know my case is extrem, but after receiving my shoes I rode 20 miles pain free for the first time ever. My miles have gone way up because of this. They weren't cheap but i dont think you can put a price on comfort. I also in cluded a picture of my feet so you can get a sense what I am dealing with.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1089/510 ... 4368_z.jpg

I'm happy they are working out so well for you. :beerchug:

capnc

by capnc

Just started riding a pair of off the shelf Bont A-1s, size 45.

I can't be happier with them. My foot seems to be an inbetween width. I wore Sidi Mega Genius 5.5's before this. Regular Sidi's were too narrow, as were Specialized.

The bont's seem to be the perfect width. I molded them in the oven, which didnt seem to do too much, but I was not expecting much since they fit my foot very well out of the box.

The difference between the Sidi 5.5 and the Bont's is incredible. The increased stiffness is noticeable, especially when standing. My foot just seems to be on a more solid platform. I won't be going back to another shoe anytime soon.

coppercook62

by coppercook62

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6016/592 ... 655f_z.jpg
Thanks for the replies. It was only the length but it was the width and volume that was a big deal. i included a picture of how high the foot is. With other shoes I could barely buckle the shoe and had huge gaps in tongue. I would get really bad foot cramping on outside of foot. Then I could barely walk after a 40 mile ride. Again my case is extreme but I thought I'd share for anyone that might have a unusual foot problem to let you know there are options out there.

micky

by micky

Ok, here my short add to the topic.

Due to a stupid crash I ruined both a finger and my Vittoria Unique, so I started looking for any cheap option.
While checking here and there found a pair of Bont Vaypor at a bargain in my size.
I haven't had the chance yet to mold and use on the road as Im waiting for new cleats as well.
Here below some weights, size 43 (I normally wear 43 for both cycling and casual shoes - beside Northwave).

citanest

by citanest

Just bought a A One size 47. I am in size 46.5 for S-Works Shoes.

They are definitely stiffer than my 2009 S-works Road Shoes, it could be because of the wider shoe platform though.

However, I don't find them as comfortable as my S-works shoes until I transfer the specialized footbed I had on my S-Works to the Bont shoes.
The Bont soles are completely useless to me.

I went with the 3 bolt version for my speedplay because I don't want Bont to decide for me where I should place my cleats.
I am glad I did or my cleats will not be right at the ball of the foot.

Overall, I am happy with them.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I'm happily still riding my Bont Vaypor shoes - 2K miles and counting. They still look sharp and aren't falling apart at all.

Today, I got caught out in a torrential downpour and got completely water logged from top to bottom (bibs, jersey, gloves, headband, socks, shoes, dsp bar tape, etc). The two dozen or so ventilation holes in my Vaypors took on so much water that I honestly had a lake inside my shoe! When I took them off, water poured out! What these shoes need is a strategically placed drain hole(s) ... seriously. Anyone have this experience? Am I missing something or is this a fair product enhancement?

naisan

by naisan

Even though I wasn't a big fan of my bonts, I am still riding primarily the a1s because they are so stiff and I got them molded in.

But I've had to break out the blue a few times to re-glue the front rubber bumpers. And unfortunately the poorly drilled soles still allow the backing bolts to spin, so they get loose. . .oh well. . .they were only a hundred bucks on dealspoon, so that's about fair. .

On the water in the shoe: I've ridden them in downpours a lot (it rains a little here in Seattle). If you tip your shoe forward, most of the water empties out, and if you keep them tight, you won't get much water in there in the first place. Belgian booties also seem to help a lot.

Cheers,

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I was in the process of setting up cleats on a new pair of shoes when I thought I'd give my A1s a final chance. I stuck them back in the oven (4th time) for about 25-30 mins instead of 20, and when I put them on I tightened down the straps a little more than I had done the previous times I'd moulded them (so that they were snug, but not too tight).

Bingo! No more heal lifting problems, no more buckle popping open, just snug as a bug in a rug. 8)

I would urge anyone who's been a bit underwhelmed with their Bonts to give them some tough love during the moulding process. Not too rough, just nice and firm. :twisted:
-
Finsbury Park CC

micky

by micky

Ive been using finally my shoes for some weeks now but feel like my feet are wider as position (Q factor?) compared to other shoes I have.
Anyone else got this "problem"?

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

micky wrote:Ive been using finally my shoes for some weeks now but feel like my feet are wider as position (Q factor?) compared to other shoes I have.
Anyone else got this "problem"?

I would say quite the opposite. I was a Bont dealer for some time and still help people fit them and adjust them to their bike (did it Saturday as a matter of fact). I found narrowing the Q factor with Bonts is normal protocol. My last customer was on 2011 Gaerne G-Myst. He literally was allowed another 5-6mm of adjustment inward after going to the Bont Vaypor.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Interesting that Mick Rogers was wearing Shimano 315s at the Tour of Britain, given he has been one of the primary Bont development athletes in the last few years. IIRC, he was the main rider behind the Zeros.
-
Finsbury Park CC