Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

stax - purchased from EVANS Cycles in the UK but I'm from near Detroit.

Yes the seam is vertical. Its been 10 days and no response from Bont. They don't have a phone number. Just FB and email.

Its going to be SOOOO long to process a warranty claim. Additionally, I was trying to mold the toe box out (which I did fine with a heat gun) - but slightly softened the plastic toe guard. So now Bont might go "ya you over heated them and cracked them" or something.

I also tried the heat gun in that area and pushed it out. It felt ok when it was warm, but just tried them on today and it feels like crap again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

So I mounted my speedplay cleats (with adapter shims as I got the 3 bolt sole) and the bolts come through into the shoe! Haven't ridden them yet but I'm guessing even with the inner sole in place I'm going to feel them :cry:

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Woody, I've had good luck using bandages, tape and cotton, or other items to help push out the trouble areas. My pinkie toe gets rubbed wrong near the knuckle portion. I place cotton balls in the trouble area, wrap with tape, then heat mold the shoes with my feet. I usually heat mold them two or three times. I've had great luck with this method.

spud

by spud

dereksmalls - file the bolts
Bombertodd - absolutely right. Heat the shoe, push out the area with a screwdriver handle, and build up the part of your foot where you are getting rub/pain. Will likely be uncomfortable while you are molding, but when it is cooled off and you remove the build up, the shoe should be much better,

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Bombertodd - No its definitely a seam on the interior of the shoe. There is a ridge. I used a heat gun, spot molded, pushed it out. Doesn't matter. It is jabbing my foot.

Bont has not even told me where to send the shoes. I've received replies, but never an end result of where to ship them back to. I first contacted them March 20. How does it take 3 weeks to help a customer?

Liggero

by Liggero

I have a very easy question, for those who had used Sidi's and Bonts. What sie do you use on each brand? just to compare, so i know what size i should order initially. Sidi 46 suit me like a perfect globe, I have three pairs of sidi in sze 46. My bont width is standard, but the length I´m not sure, and I read that the bont calculator is not too good really.

I´m gonna order them to UK, 2 or 3 pairs on different sizes, and keep just the pair that fits perfect. With a bit of your help I may have to order two different sizes but not 3. thanks in advance!!
Happy Trails !!!

spud

by spud

Liggero, I went down half size from Sidi

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

45 in both Sidi Wire and Bont Vapor. Both shoes fit great but feel different of course.

stax

by stax

Woody- I had a closer look at my shoes and I have a seam on the outside of the shoe close to the point you are getting rubbing but is smooth on the inside. Sounds like a defect and I'm sorry to hear Bont aren't being helpful. Have you tried going through Evans? I have had decent service from them and have also found Bont to be less than helpful.

Lig- I was a 47 in Sidi and Bont though the Vaypor + are a good bit roomier than Vaypor. 47 was the size Bonts sizing chart put me at so it worked fine for me.

KWalker

by KWalker

How are any shoes worth this much trouble? You shouldn't have to go to insane lengths with molding for them to fit. Either they fit right from the start and molding is a nuance, or they don't. You can't mold them to magically become a glove fit if they aren't initially.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

This ^

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

bungis

by bungis

I tried the Bont Vaypor Plus on and noticed a lot of heal slippage. Looks like there isn't much there in terms of heal cupping compared to other shoes.

Any users comment on that? Not a big deal?

spud

by spud

I have the same issue. Not a really big problem under normal circumstances, but when getting ready to sprint I do dial up the tension, and ordinarily run them pretty snug anyway.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

bungis wrote:I tried the Bont Vaypor Plus on and noticed a lot of heal slippage. Looks like there isn't much there in terms of heal cupping compared to other shoes.

Any users comment on that? Not a big deal?

The heel cup can be molded to give a very snug fit. Try it with the hairdryer heating just the are and mold it again. I thought the same way too when I had my Vaypor before heat molding just that area.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Liggero

by Liggero

KWalker wrote:How are any shoes worth this much trouble? You shouldn't have to go to insane lengths with molding for them to fit. Either they fit right from the start and molding is a nuance, or they don't. You can't mold them to magically become a glove fit if they aren't initially.

I thought the same about insoles, until I got a Sidas 3D custom molded insoles for my sidis. Once you try it, there is no way back. With Bont it seems the same thing for 99% of people who use them.

I wonder though, how much do they last compared to Sidi's. For the riding I use, in mtb they can last 5 year in good shpae, 10 year before retiring the, In road a pair of sidis last twice as much. I wonder if bonts last just as much, it's not a cheap investment.
Happy Trails !!!