Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

claus

by claus

I did this several years ago... AFAIR it wasn't hard to get the inserts out. I simply put them back into the new holes and didn't use anything to secure them; just tightening the screws holds everything in place. The most time was spent on determining where to put the holes... (measuring again and again and ...).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Finally got my Vapours and rode in them yesterday.

Maybe I nailed the molding, but they were infinitely more comfortable on the first ride than either pair of my Sidi's were.

Dov

by Dov

Are the cleat holes in the same position? Left & right feet?

Mine are wonky.
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

afie

by afie

Any thoughts on which Vaypor model to get?

The plain microfiber vs leather vs premium with glass fibres?

What I can discern:
- plain version is ~$30 cheaper than the other two;
- leather will stretch more than microfiber and the glass fibre version should stretch the least over time;
- leather in white only, premium can also come in silver.

Anything else?
Riccò "Of the 10 controls taken, only two were positive. In theory all the tests should have been positive, therefore the method needs to be checked," he said.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Why in the World you had to use quote button?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Thinking about getting a pair of vaypors in 47 wide. I ride sidi genius 5 pros now in 48 and am now getting the feeling they are slightly too big and a little too narrow on the side of my midfoot. I have orthotics too. No one ever stocks the larger sizes regularly so I bought them without trying a 47 or 47.5. They were special order which makes me wonder if I should go through this again. Don't think the Bont dealer here stocks anything. Waiting for their response.

Also I am basing my size 47 wide based on measuring my feet and using their online fit wizard. 292mm length and 114m width.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I am a 45 Sidi and a 45 Bont.

They are also wider than my Sidi's.

Also not touched my Sidi's since I got the Bont's...

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

That helps me feel better knowing that matches what I feel and their online fitting tool suggests. I really like the shape of these as it's similar to my favorite golf shoes from True linkswear. Same wide area up front to allow the foot to spread for stability and power transfer.

Last edited by NWSAlpine on Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Alright so I re-measured my feet more accurately at home and came out at 288mm and 289mm with 113/114 width. Lucky that both feet are so close. Anyways this puts me into the 46.5 Wide for the Vaypors. I want a tight fit and am use to it from my ski racing days. Someone mentioned plug boots in the thread earlier and I dealt with that for many years. My shoe size is around 11.5-12 and ski boots were always Lange 9.5 plugs that I had to custom dremel and blow out in spots.

So I ordered the Vaypors in 46.5 wide in white. Hope they work out and I can sell my sidis for someone else to enjoy them.

Have you guys had any issues using normal orthotics with the wider platform? I use the LG thermo cool heat molded insoles now.

afie

by afie

afie wrote:Any thoughts on which Vaypor model to get?

The plain microfiber vs leather vs premium with glass fibres?

What I can discern:
- plain version is ~$30 cheaper than the other two;
- leather will stretch more than microfiber and the glass fibre version should stretch the least over time;
- leather in white only, premium can also come in silver.

Anything else?

I got a quick reply from the Bont Facebook page - no difference in stretch or stiffness between the two models. Only, Premium is lighter.

I bought and weighed:

Bont Vaypor 47 612g
Bont Vaypor Premium 46.5 572g (roughly 15g per shoe lighter)
Bont Vaypor XC 47 809g

I wear a 47 in road, tri and mtb Sidi.
Riccò "Of the 10 controls taken, only two were positive. In theory all the tests should have been positive, therefore the method needs to be checked," he said.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Got a pair of bont A1's on clearance from Colorado cyclist. No idea which gen they are. Weight came in at 502g for a pair of 42.5's. Is it just me or are the A1's lighter than the vaypor? Fit seems ok, a little narrow, but too bad. As others have stated, ventilation is garbage, noticeably hotter in the Arizona sun than any pair of shoes I've worn on the bike. The only thing that kind of bothers me is that when clipping in with look pedals, the stupid plastic guard in the front hits the pedal first instead of the cleat, making it a little harder to feel around for pedal entry.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

I got my Vaypors today and just got done molding them. They are awesome. I am coming from a Sidi Genius 5 pro in size 48. They were a size too big for me. I ended up with the 46.5 wide in the Vaypor after measuring carefully and using their online fit guide. Worked like a charm as they fit perfectly.

Left shoe is 304g
Right shoe is 309g
total with stock look grey cleats = 688g

Sidis + look cleats = 901g

I am going to try the stock insoles first. If I have any issues then I will try the Louis Garneau Thermo Cool insoles that I have. I am hoping the thin stock insoles will be fine as the sole should be molded to my feet.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

I ended up molding the LG thermo cool insoles as I felt a less movement vs the stock bont insoles. I really love these insoles.

After getting some miles on the Bonts they are everything I was expecting. No hotspots after molding and the fit is perfect. The sole is very stiff and I love the wider tub feel vs the sidis I had. I can basically open the velcro and buckle and my foot still won't move as the whole boot is like a sock.

rudder

by rudder

NWSAlpine wrote:I got my Vaypors today

Are the cleat holes drilled in the same place on the left and right shoes? I remember looking at Bonts last year but some people were having issues with the holes not being in the same place on either shoe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com