Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Check their sizing guide.
Its the best bet as Bonts are pretty feet shape specific in terms of sizing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nemeseri

by nemeseri

arizonahalfnhalf wrote:Alright, I swear I've used the search function and have googled it, can't find a solid answer comparing these two shoes. I'm sure its somewhere in the 93 pages that the search isn't pulling up..

Just seeing if anyone has used Giro Empires and some of the Bont Vaypors???? (specifically looking at Vaypor S, but any info should do)

Curious as to what size you are in the Empires versus the Bonts!? Im wearing a 44 in the Giro Empires and a 43.5 in most other Giro shoes, Sidi's, and Shimano shoes... what size Vaypors should I buy?

Hey. I wear Bont Vaypor S and Giro Empire SLX. I wear the same size from both.. The giros are a little bit longer in the same size. I'd say they are longer by 1/4 size. From mavic I wear 41 1/3, so I think both the Giro Empire SLX and Bont Vaypor S run a tiny-tiny bit large.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

nemeseri wrote:
Hey. I wear Bont Vaypor S and Giro Empire SLX. I wear the same size from both.. The giros are a little bit longer in the same size. I'd say they are longer by 1/4 size. From mavic I wear 41 1/3, so I think both the Giro Empire SLX and Bont Vaypor S run a tiny-tiny bit large.

Awesome!!! Thank you!!! I'm a 44 in the SLX... maybe i should go to a 44.5. Hmmmmmm.

maxxevv wrote:Check their sizing guide.

I did, but I keep reading about people who were mislead by the sizing guide (user error?) and it put them in the wrong size, so wanted to get some second opinions :D

nemeseri

by nemeseri

arizonahalfnhalf wrote:
maxxevv wrote:Check their sizing guide.

I did, but I keep reading about people who were mislead by the sizing guide (user error?) and it put them in the wrong size, so wanted to get some second opinions :D

Based on the size guide, I'd be 42.5 from the vaypor S. I tried it and it was ok, but I like my shoes to be snug so I went down to 42 and it's perfect. I think the size guide is an ok start. You might move half size down if you want to have a snug toe box.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

etownfwd wrote:I believe what you are referring to happened earlier on in this thread.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36516&p=1091795#p1091853

I haven't made the leap that StevieB did... yet! When my ratchet straps die on my old A-Ones, then I'll probably try this hack. If you do end up giving this a shot, let me know how it turns out.

:beerchug:

-efwd

FINALLY - after getting all the bits together - bought the S2 reels from a LBS, snaffled some D loops from Bont (freebies :beerchug: ), trying one method to not get it done as StevieB did it (cheapskate), took the shoes to the shoemaker yesterday.

Hopefully pic them up Friday for some Boa'd Vaypor's :thumbup:

Thanks for the help from all those that assisted, especially StevieB

Aeo

by Aeo

Put a pair of size 42-43 Specialized SL Footbeds (green) in my size 44.5 Bont Riot MTBs. They go right in without modification.

Feet stay warmer and tighter, better fit.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

bungis

by bungis

bungis wrote:I tried the Bont Vaypor Plus on and noticed a lot of heal slippage. Looks like there isn't much there in terms of heal cupping compared to other shoes.

Any users comment on that? Not a big deal?

To answer my own question (and might help others), I finally used the Bont Vaypor + for a training ride and didn't notice any issues with heal slippage due to the low heal cups. This is un-moulded too.

In fact, set 5 second and 10 second power personal bests. Don't know if it's the shoes but they certainly didn't hold me back.

The duck foot looks isn't particularly appealing to me however :mrgreen:

lewolive

by lewolive

I have several pairs of Sidi and several pairs of Bont..
A 46 Sidi is similar to a 46,5 Bont.

I hope it'll help..

danbjpa

by danbjpa

Received my Vaypor S. I risked a 'sale' (£141) in the same size (-3mm) as my A1, Vaypor and Zero+. they fit ok but a little short on the arch (for the same size as other models), i will try on long ride to see if needed heat molded. I dislike the glue instead the sewing (as commented here), hope they do not unglue fast. The micro adjust of Boa on Vaypor s is amazing. They came with short bolts (steel, not titanium).
On scale with insoles

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I think you need a more accurate scale :unbelievable:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

kulivontot

by kulivontot

So this just happened to my 5 year old Bont A-ones:
As tends to happen with these shoes, the leather upper stretched out over time and I was ratcheting down the the max setting, and apparently just pulled the ratchet straight through the stitching. I'm going to contact them to see if there is anything they can do, but I'm not holding my breath.
Are the boa-laced vaypors any better at actually tightening down the shoe? I always felt that the velcro straps were worthless and the ratchet just pinched a single point on your foot. The bathtub construction was stiff as hell, and they were pretty light. Not necessarily impressed by build quality though. Anybody got any recommendations for a shoe of similar stiffness and weight with boa laces?

elzilcho

by elzilcho

I just ordered a pair of Vaypor S in size 45. I've been wearing Riots in size 46 for a few years but they always felt at least half a size too big. The Vaypor S fits like a glove with just slight pressure on the end of my big toes. Do you all think this will be an issue on longer rides? Can I push this part out a bit with heat molding? I can't say I've ever had a pair of shoes, bike or work/casual, that I'd call comfortable so not sure if this is how a proper fit should feel.

Thanks!

edit: They don't make a 45.5

canoas

by canoas

I wear Vapour S in size 45 and have no complaints, though I removed their inner sole and replaced with my molded sole.

I've just come back from the Alps and climbed 10,000m in 4 days, no pain (Jeux Plane, Colbier, Ramaz, l'Encrenaz, Bassachoux,Terramont, Joux Verte) One of my rides was 150km with 4,500m of climbing. They are ultra stiff which helps when climbing as well as sprinting. Best shoes I've ever had.

elzilcho

by elzilcho

canoas wrote:I wear Vapour S in size 45 and have no complaints, though I removed their inner sole and replaced with my molded sole.

I've just come back from the Alps and climbed 10,000m in 4 days, no pain (Jeux Plane, Colbier, Ramaz, l'Encrenaz, Bassachoux,Terramont, Joux Verte) One of my rides was 150km with 4,500m of climbing. They are ultra stiff which helps when climbing as well as sprinting. Best shoes I've ever had.

How much room is there between the end of your toes and the front of the shoe? Have you heat molded them yet?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

canoas

by canoas

elzilcho wrote:
canoas wrote:I wear Vapour S in size 45 and have no complaints, though I removed their inner sole and replaced with my molded sole.

How much room is there between the end of your toes and the front of the shoe? Have you heat molded them yet?

I had my LBS mould them in store, when I brought them. Very professional, took their time, knew exactly what they were doing. This is the guy that fitted my shoes! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdjqBbBsg7Y

Initially I wasn't satisfied with the room from end of toes (I'm a 10.5UK or 45 EU normally)..after a while they broke in, they are the perfect size (46 was too big for me).