Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

g32ecs

by g32ecs

So my shoe fits way better now. I baked it @ 190F for 20 mins and made shims out of cardboard and taped it on my foot where I get hotspots and wore 1 thin sock and 1 thick sock. I think I could've gone without the 1 thin sock but I put the shoes on after a minute of taking it out the oven so I needed the extra layer to protect my skin

now I have a stack height problem with my Speedplays :x

and unfortunately it cannot be solved by lowering my saddle as I'm already at the max. I need to find a way of increasing the stack height by 5mm (or whatever the usual difference is for Sidi vs Bont). Speedplay sells wedges and shim for leg discrepancy, but they'll just make my shoe too costly instead.

I'm thinking of using plastic sheets, trace and then stack them. I don't know if they'll work but they won't add much weight.

:noidea: grr.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

What a problem to have! I can think of 2 ways but neither may be of help to you: shorter cranks and/or thicker insoles.
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

I was about to edit my post and ask what influences stack height and if the insoles are also a "part" of it.

I was using my orthotics with my Sidis and I'm estimating it's about 2mm in thickness. I can probably wear insoles since I have much more space now post-bake but let's see.

As for a shorter crank - yes I thought about it and it's actually a possibility since I'm buying a whole new groupset next year, but I'm not sure on how hideous a Shimano crank would look with SRAM groupset, lol. Ugly? I don't know, but I don't really want to resort to that.

doomith

by doomith

Frame = too big ?!

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Whatever in between where you're seated to the axis of the pedals counts. Transferring what you were wearing (othortics) to your new Bonts won't increase your stack though. Sram makes all the in-between crank lengths, otherwise don't look down on the ShimaNO cranks but heads-up :up: straight ahead!!

I'm in the not-hung-up-about-mixing-brands camp. At the moment I have all Campag mixed with ShimaNO cranks/O,s rings and Planet X brakes. Time heals every wound, it doesn't look bad anymore :lol:

I went from 170 to 165 and didn't feel that I had made quantum leaps in my pedaling but reaped the bonus of increasing seat to handlebars drop - hey 2+ more aero :thumbup: .
Less is more.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

shimmeD wrote:Whatever in between where you're seated to the axis of the pedals counts. Transferring what you were wearing (othortics) to your new Bonts won't increase your stack though. Sram makes all the in-between crank lengths, otherwise don't look down on the ShimaNO cranks but heads-up :up: straight ahead!!

I'm in the not-hung-up-about-mixing-brands camp. At the moment I have all Campag mixed with ShimaNO cranks/O,s rings and Planet X brakes. Time heals every wound, it doesn't look bad anymore :lol:

I went from 170 to 165 and didn't feel that I had made quantum leaps in my pedaling but reaped the bonus of increasing seat to handlebars drop - hey 2+ more aero :thumbup: .

I'm using a 167 crank now and don't mind going 165 which Shimano does carry. I could really go down this option now since I'll be using that for next year but I really want to save as much money at the moment.

I think I'll be buying wedges and stack about 5-7mm of it. That's still less than a cm and an eye sore I won't be seeing. I'll try to cut out the shape of the adapter while I wait for those wedges to come in. UGHHHHHHH.
Frame = too big ?!

I wouldn't say my frame's too big. I have a 7-10cm saddle to bar drop while have 2 spacers (I honestly could take out one more since I'm more flexible now), don't have to seats pushed too forward and run a 90cm stem.

just frustrated now.

by 113245

You could always trim the bottom of your seatpost by 4-5mm... If it's metal this shouldn't be a problem at all, if it's carbon you most likely can get away with it just fine if you saw through it very gently ala fork steerer tube. I dont think this would really compromise any structural integrity but just in case... probably best to not do it if you're a very heavy person.

It pains me to see you want to increase your stack height though. Half the Bont experience is being right on top of the pedal!

g32ecs

by g32ecs

113245 wrote:You could always trim the bottom of your seatpost by 4-5mm... If it's metal this shouldn't be a problem at all, if it's carbon you most likely can get away with it just fine if you saw through it very gently ala fork steerer tube. I dont think this would really compromise any structural integrity but just in case... probably best to not do it if you're a very heavy person.

It pains me to see you want to increase your stack height though. Half the Bont experience is being right on top of the pedal!

I thought about that too. I'm @ 150lbs atm and don't blow up past 160lbs during winter.

Yes and I agree about the "Bont" experience. When I get my -5mm cranks next year I should be able to attain that.

I'll post pics later on what I can come up with. I'm estimating I really need about 5-7mm of stack.

gummee

by gummee

113245 wrote:You could always trim the bottom of your seatpost by 4-5mm... If it's metal this shouldn't be a problem at all, if it's carbon you most likely can get away with it just fine if you saw through it very gently ala fork steerer tube. I dont think this would really compromise any structural integrity but just in case... probably best to not do it if you're a very heavy person.

This.

Adding stack height is the wrong way to go.

Shortening cranks is also the wrong way to go.

...but its not my bike...

M

by 113245

I have to agree with gummee. Changing crank length is not the way to go.

What kind of seat post do you have? 150lbs is nothing to a post designed to function with a 200lb+ load. I say chop that bitch up.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

I say chop that bitch up.

Gave in. Chopped 2 cm for good measure.

I still left that 2mm of shim but I noticed the huge improvement from my shoes before (+ orthotics). I may need to re-bake them again but otherwise I'm a happy camper :beerchug:

roadman

by roadman

I am having difficulty flattening the arch. Any ideas, I am about to get the hairdryer out :D

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

FWIW
My experience:
Bought a pair on sale from Excel, the "Thor" model on close-out.
Fit was spot on, I wear 45 Sidis and went for same with Bont.
They do mold fairly well and easily (my feet have no odd shapes so was straight forward).
They are very light and quite stiff.
Wonderful heel cup that wraps nicely around this narrow heel of mine.
Had some major issues with numbness, hot spots etc. Resolved this entirely when I replaced the thin flimsy inserts of bonts with my "blue" Specialized orthos - feet are happy as clams.

Now if I could only get that right iCliic pedal to stop squeaking when I put the power down...
It only hurts if you think.

Liggero

by Liggero

Any news about the new bont riot shoes availability?¿?¿
Happy Trails !!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Bont hasn't updated their site with any of the newer models in the info sections as least *Riot, Vaypor +, Zero2* so I wouldn't hold your breath on getting a pair super soon....
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend