Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

boysa

by boysa

I guess for reference I should say I'm using Shimano SM-SH-12 (Blue) cleats and 9000 series pedals. I'm currently on a pair of custom D2 shoes, so it may be a tough comparison.

I don't seem to have any lateral (Q) issues, only fore/aft. Thanks for the replies.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

I can get closer the the crankarm with the Sidis but the Bonts are still better than my previous setup so it's fine.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

n808

by n808

I just ordered a pair of Riots. I really hope they will fit me well, size chart and wizard indicates 43 normal width is the right size, but it's hard to find a comfortable pair even if the size is right. I think my big toe is longer than average, and I have a protruding "peroneal trochlea" that usually hits right on the edge of most shoe collars.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

boysa

by boysa

I think I'm going to like them, and if after using them a bit find I need to adjust the cleats more, I'll figure something out. I've discovered it's not as easy as I thought to find new shoes. I've been on my D2s for almost 6 years, and as much as I'd like them to last forever, they've about given up the ghost. It's too hard for me to justify the $$ for a new pair, especially since the Vaypors I grabbed were 1/5th the price!!

FWIW, I'd say the sole stiffness is about the same. That happened to be what attracted me to the Bonts in the first place. The D2s soles are so stiff, most anything else feels like soft butter. The Bonts will at least be roughly on par.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

bombertodd wrote:
Zigmeister wrote:So my size is 275mm L, 114mm W

On Bont's website it says..."contact us for custom size"????

Hmmm..used the online store tool, it works...I guess maybe it is broke on the other portion..haha

Make sure you pick a shoe that comes in wide on the fitting wizard. 275mm x 114mm is a 10.5 wide US/44.5 Wide Euro

For what its worth at 275mm long the following are the widths:
92 and smaller = Contact us for custom size
93-97 = Narrow
98-109 = Standard
110-114 = Wide
115-119 = Double width
120+ = contact us for custom size

Anyone heard of the double width before???

Thanks for that reference. Problem is, nobody but Bont has those for sale. Most don't carry/stock Wide sizes I found, contacted a few retailers.

Sooo...for now, bought some Lake CX331 44 Wide, see how that goes. Otherwise, return those, and try to find the correct Bonts.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I cannot find any bike shops with wide Bonts in stock or I would probably own a few pairs by now. I found these online shops with them though:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/index.ht ... or&x=0&y=0
http://www.velodromeshop.net/index.php? ... str=vaypor
http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/store/pr ... 44.5-Wide/

Carrots

by Carrots

Ladies and Gents,

Has anyone picked up any Bonts in a 48/49/50 size as yet?

How have you found them?

According to their sizing chart I'm a 49W however would likely go a 49W as it's on the cusp.

Presently wearing shimano r320s in a 49. 48s were just a tad short, and the 49 too sloppy in a wide. Have had Sidi 48s but they were tight!

Appreciate any feedback from fellow big hoof'ers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

I had Sidi T3 tri shoes in a 48 and got 47 Bonts. With the Bonts I had to create a little extra room (length) for my toes and can only wear thin socks. With the Sidis I could wear thin or thick socks no problems. I would have preferred the 48 but the online size chart said 47 and the supplier I ordered from only stocked up to 47 and had no plans for carrying 48, so i got the 47 thinking if they were that much too small I could ell them for more than I paid (gotta love wholesale prices). In the end I got them to work and absolutely love the shoes after 2000km.

Guy

by Guy

boysa wrote:Not to change the subject, but has anyone else noticed they can't place the cleats far enough forward? I have them maxed out, but it's still putting the cleat farther under my foot than my previous shoes. I haven't put any miles on them yet, mostly because I'm in the middle of some targeted events, but plan on giving them a go in a few weeks.

I had to redrill the soles further forward and inboard to replicate my old position. Easy to do with a 6mm wood drill bit.

boysa

by boysa

Thanks Guy.

I've used the shoes for three days now and I have just over 7 hrs in them. I never would've imagined I could manage so well since it typically takes my feet a bit of time to acclimatize to new footwear. I started to get some hot spots on the back of my heels after the first ride, but was back home before any blisters could form. The next two days I simply covered the area with some medical tape and all was well. Eventually, I'll get calluses in all those areas and won't have any issues. The heel certainly locks your foot in place, and my D2s were so worn this is definitely noticeable and welcome.

As far as cleat placement is concerned, the fact my foot had to shift slightly more "over the pedal" might've been a tremendous blessing in disguise. It feels great, and I'm seeing some really solid power numbers from a seated position. I was starting to develop some minor knee irritation last week, as well, and now that seems to have disappeared. I knew I was heading for some cleat adjustment anyway, and this just forced my hand (I don't like change!!).

The soles feel tremendous. I'd say it'd be a crapshoot to pick which is stiffer between these and my D2s, but either way anything else would most likely be a step backward. I think I'll wear them for a bit and then attempt some molding.

Guy

by Guy

I had the same heel issue - moulding is your friend here.

andreas

by andreas

Hi, I'm planning on buying Bont Vaypor+ shoes tomorrow.
For regular (Scandinavian) shoes, I wear a euro size 44 (10.75 US).
I've followed the measurement/sizing guide at Bont's website, and measured myself to 281mm/115mm left, 281/112mm right.
According to the guide, I should buy size 46 Wide for both feet.
If I enter 280mm/110mm in the wizard, the recommendation goes down to 45 Standard.

I've tried on size 45 standard in the shop and they felt ok, although it's hard to tell just by standing on your toes for a few minutes.

What size do you guys think I should go for? My local retailer don't carry the wide versions or size 46 in standard version, so they'd have to be specially ordered and I can't try those sizes before buying.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

If they fit snugly I don't see the reason why you'd go for the wide... Remember, the widest point of your foot can be different to someone else's, this will change your shoe fit. See if you can take the shoes home and wear them for a few hours in front of the TV, that'll give you a better indication of fit
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

kdawg

by kdawg

Anyone else have this problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR7NyeA_GbY&

Had mine about 6 months now but if do them up - not supertight, but just firm - and they pop straight away, then when I get up to walk to my bike they pop again, sometimes they go slack just riding along.

Recently they've been doing it when I twist to release my pedals - that's the movement I was going for in the video.

Driving me mental!
I'm left handed, if that matters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TroyG

by TroyG

Respectfully, your video is set to private.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk